Disappointed - are these Belles worth $1700

richieb

Found Belles in the local paper last weekend which in itself is very unusual, and told they were perfect, waited several days to then be told they are no longer for sale, then getting a call two days later to say come look at them, it has been a frustrating week on the Belle watch. Guys a flake. Looked at them tonight. Mid 80's vintage in walnut, black grills, AB crosssover. Asking $1800 and would go no lower than $1700. One cabinet had been in water, all veneer on lower riser was loose or peeling and stained. Several nicks, some deep, loose veneer that you could see had tried to be repaired, certainly not "perfect", maybe 6/10. No where near as nice as my 8/10-9/10 '76 Cornwalls. I was hoping for so much better, I just can't spend that kind of coin for something I just have a bad feeling about, even if they are a pair of local Belles. I had to walk away with my pocket full of hundreds. Damn I'm frustrated -- and pissed.

That sucks I put an add up on audiogon saying that I wanted a pair of la scalas or belles and within a week I had a reply. I picked them up the next weekend glad I posted the ad. I only had to drive 5 hours round trip well worth it. Good luck and I would wait for a pair of belles that makes you drool then buy them and run.

Thanks a bunch for the offer Tom. I think I will bide my time until "my pair" become available. I had thought of doing some repairs myself, but to spend that kind of money for a furniture quality type speaker is kind of a turn off. If I could have loaded them up for my first offer of $1300 then yes, lets get busy. Besides, the guy was a clown that jerked me around for a week. I guess I will just have to "suffer and endure" with my lowly Cornwalls for the time being, yea right!

They sound awful damn good right now!!!

----------------

On 2/25/2005 10:45:56 PM richieb wrote:

Thanks a bunch for the offer Tom. I think I will bide my time until "my pair" become available. I had thought of doing some repairs myself, but to spend that kind of money for a furniture quality type speaker is kind of a turn off. If I could have loaded them up for my first offer of $1300 then yes, lets get busy. Besides, the guy was a clown that jerked me around for a week. I guess I will just have to "suffer and endure" with my lowly Cornwalls for the time being, yea right!

They sound awful damn good right now!!!

----------------

I wouldn't even give the guy $1300. Wait for a mint set. At $1700 you can go either Belles or K Horns. They will show up. I have bought all of mine locally. K horns show up about once a year. LaScala's and Belles less frequently.

Chris

----------------

On 2/25/2005 10:03:53 PM Tom Mobley wrote:

I could be talked into building you a new lower riser or pair thereof if that's really the worst part.

----------------

That is one heck of an offer, Tom!