What's the best current production 6922/6DJ8?

organ

Hey guys,

Just wondering which current production 6922/6DJ8 is your favorite?

We've got Ei, Sovtek, EH and JJ. Am I missing any? I'm surprised I don't see one from SED. They make excellent tubes.

The only current production I've tried is Sovtek. Can't say I like it.

Tried the JAN 6922 and I wasn't impressed. Maybe it needs to break in. I'm going to try it out again in the future.

So far my favorite is the Mullard 6DJ8 and GE 6DJ8. The GE have some black stuff sprayed inside the glass.

I love the Mullard because it's crystal clear with excellent dynamics/micro dynamics. Lush sounding and very big soundstage.

The GE is more 'tubey' sounding. Warmer, slight cut off at the freq extremes. Very nice tube.

The pre is a Golden Tube Audio SEP-1. It's pretty much a mini amplifier using a SINGLE 6922/6DJ8. It's a SET design and it even has output transformers.

Maurice

Hi Maurice,

For current production, I've had good luck with the EH 6922. I use a pair in my EE Minimax CDP, a quad in my Counterpoint SA-100, and had them in an Anthem Pre-2L that I sold.

In the affordable range, but not current production, I also like the JAN 6DJ8 variously branded Philips, GTE, Sylvania from the early 1980's. The 6922 is a more "rugged" version of the 6DJ8 (designed to operate at a max plate voltage of nearly double the 6DJ8.) In a single tube stage circuit, the JAN 6DJ8 might just sound a bit more musical to you.

I'm not familiar with your SET preamp. Does it utilize tube rectification as well? If so, IMO, the rectifier can be quite important in achieving the SQ you're after.

Mike

Hey Mike,

Nice to see you here. Isn't this forum great? Thanks for the heads up on the EH. I'll give the JAN 6DJ8 a try. I wasn't happy with the JAN 6922. So far I like the 6DJ8 more than 6922's.

The pre uses ss rectification.

NOS,

I'll order those Ei's too. I was very happy with their 12AX7 Tele copies when I had it in my ASL pre.

Guy,

Never tried a 12AT7. By the tube socket it says "6922/6DJ8 ONLY". There are jumpers in there but I didn't see any for a 12AT7 sub. I'll have to check with the GTA group on yahoo.

Thanks for the help guys. Just want to know which ones I should buy. Want to use these current production and save my nice sounding Mullards and GE. NOS is getting too pricey.

Maurice

----------------

On 3/1/2005 12:48:59 AM organ wrote:

Guy,

Never tried a 12AT7. By the tube socket it says "6922/6DJ8 ONLY". There are jumpers in there but I didn't see any for a 12AT7 sub. I'll have to check with the GTA group on yahoo.

Maurice
----------------

Maurice,

I think I might have mixed it up with a Sonic Frontiers preamp.

My appologies.

Guy