Look at this subwoofer driver!!!

kenratboy

----------------

On 3/2/2005 12:50:54 AM kenratboy wrote:

So for my 13' X 14' bedroom, think I should get two? I am not sure that one will do the trick.

----------------

That's a car sub isn't it?

320 lbs???!!! Maybe it's not a car sub. Holy Shiite Muslims.

----------------

On 3/2/2005 12:59:59 AM Professor.Ham.Slap wrote:

I really wish there was an MSRP listed for that thing. But since they reference people paying $100,000 for mods on their car, I'm sure it's uber expensive.

----------------

They've got a 15" sub for $1000, so I'm sure this one is more than I'd ever spend, unless I won the lottery.

But it "only" has 2.5" of one way excursion...

The Adire Audio Parthenon does 3" and is probably a lot more affordable priced (only a $1000 down payment).

"At the 2004 CES we showed a 24" square baffle unit, with a Qts of 0.72 and an Fs of 7 Hz. Flat anechoic response to 6 Hz. And capable of over 66 liters of linear air displacement! That generates reference level (121 dB SPL) output at 20 Hz, when sitting naked in a room - no room gain, no baffle, no box required. The first true dipole driver (not sub - no baffle, remember!) that can do reference outputs. With flat output to the single digits. How's that for a driver? "

http://www.adireaudio.com/TextPages/ParthenonPageFrameText.htm

Nevertheless, at 320 pounds that thing is a beast. Running the max wattage with the sensitivity it should be capable of 130dB.

The parthenon can only do 121dB at 20Hz with no baffle...but a good response down to 6Hz. 2.gif

i am not sure how a car would handle 320+ pounds (not to mention an enclosure, that would be another story) probably would handle the curves really well, unless you get 2, then it's 740+ pounds...

would be good to add to those undrivable cars with plexiglass windshields 4in thick.

i would be hesitant to be overly impressed by this driver until i saw some test results/responses. just looks like a big concert sub in a 200lb metal frame that wasn't designed very well for weight reduction. i mean really, 320lbs? someone hire a material science engineer please.

still kinda funny, 23 inches tall? 320lbs? not so sure this one will sell too hot to car nuts.3.gif

----------------

On 3/2/2005 9:34:03 AM tankhokie wrote:

still kinda funny, 23 inches tall? 320lbs? not so sure this one will sell too hot to car nuts.
3.gif

----------------

Well they said themselves who they're targeting...stupid rich people that just want something better than the smart poor guy down the street. 2.gif

GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!!!!!!6.gif

So how would you get that thing out of a car once it was in? I mean, with a magnet that big....wouldn't you get it close to the car and...CLUNK! It's stuck!!

And what do you use when installing the damn thing? Aluminum tools and hardware? Hell, you couldn't get a Craftsman screw driver close to that thing without it getting stuck to the magnet!

That magnet would suck up every loose piece of ferrous metal within 8 feet. Hell - they should call it the black hole not the Jack Hammer. 9.gif

Tom

----------------

On 3/2/2005 1:33:02 PM Tom Adams wrote:

Hell - they should call it the black hole not the Jack Hammer.
9.gif

Tom

----------------

LOL... Snort!

My gawd that thing is huge. I just have a hard time seeing any practicle applications for it in a car. I could be way wrong, but I just don't see it. I wonder what kindof power it would take to drive it.

Speaking of making it for the sake of making it...if you delve deeper into there web site, they have the suggested retail of everything they make listed, but the JackHammer is no where to be found...

On the other hand, I printed a pic of that bad boy and showed it to some of the guys at the church high school youth group that I volunteer with, and their jaws hit the floor.

Also, I have no complaints about MTX gear. I stated in a previous post that I had a chance to listen to some of MTX's horn loaded floor standers recently, and I was reasonably impressed. They were pretty efficient, and had a sound that was a notch or two better than the Synergy line, for about 1/3 less price.

I am running a MTX sub in my HT setup. I have never had any complaints. I used MTX for my car system in HS too. They never made anything like that though...like somebody else said "Great Googly moogly..."2.gif