Look at this subwoofer driver!!!

kenratboy

----------------

On 3/3/2005 1:08:08 AM Blackmesa wrote:

320 pounds + amp + enclosure, requires at least 5,000 WATTS out of your battery, why would anyone put that in a car? That is utterly stupid.

----------------

Why,and why not.How do you call people who spend a mere 15 grand on a car and then waste 30 grand on upgrades?

Some are in dB drag competitions where hellacious SPL winns.SPL so high you car's windows would shatter,these cars(often vans)are all reinforced just to sustain the monster SPL ...one note playing as loud as the hardware will handle before going up in smoke.

Nice woofer,I wonder where I could install this monster 3.gif

Get a dozen,after a Krell MRA to power it 11.gif Yes for mad rich crazy peeps.Not just mad or crazy rich.

----------------

On 3/2/2005 3:24:36 AM DrWho wrote:

But it "only" has 2.5" of one way excursion...

The Adire Audio Parthenon does 3" and is probably a lot more affordable priced (only a $1000 down payment).

"At the 2004 CES we showed a 24" square baffle unit, with a Qts of 0.72 and an Fs of 7 Hz. Flat anechoic response to 6 Hz. And capable of over 66 liters of linear air displacement! That generates reference level (121 dB SPL) output at 20 Hz, when sitting naked in a room - no room gain, no baffle, no box required. The first true dipole driver (not sub - no baffle, remember!) that can do reference outputs. With flat output to the single digits. How's that for a driver? "

Nevertheless, at 320 pounds that thing is a beast. Running the max wattage with the sensitivity it should be capable of 130dB.

The parthenon can only do 121dB at 20Hz with no baffle...but a good response down to 6Hz.
2.gif

----------------

Uh this is not a "woofer" you cannot mount in a sealed or ported "box".This MTX woofer is a real woofer just a gigantic beast,the Adire is just a motor to drive a piston panel in free air.

Ok I just clicked on the larger image,is that a basketball next to ...HOLLY WOOFA! 6.gif

Now a few of these would...2.5 inches ONE WAY! 6.gif Yep the mother of all woofers,a Tumult is a tweeter compared to this goliath.

have to think about the soon to be mine JL Audio Gotham 9.gif

----------------

On 3/2/2005 1:33:02 PM Tom Adams wrote:

GREAT GOOGLY-MOOGLY!!!!!!
6.gif

So how would you get that thing out of a car once it was in? I mean, with a magnet that big....wouldn't you get it close to the car and...CLUNK! It's stuck!!

And what do you use when installing the damn thing? Aluminum tools and hardware? Hell, you couldn't get a Craftsman screw driver close to that thing without it getting stuck to the magnet!

That magnet would suck up every loose piece of ferrous metal within 8 feet. Hell - they should call it the black hole not the Jack Hammer.
9.gif

Tom

----------------

Remember that episode of Gilligan's Island where the naval mine washed up on shore and they tried to defuse it with a brass wrench? 3.gif

----------------

In Some Point in Time, Tom Blasing wrote:

Remember that episode of Gilligan's Island where the naval mine washed up on shore and they tried to defuse it with a brass wrench? 3.gif

----------------

he he he, and gilligan's watch was attracted to the mine and pulled him over to it!!!

whew, that was a blast from the past, thanks!

(note to self...may need to reconsider location of the jackhammer in my '77 cadillac as the magnet may distort my 28 CRT color tv screens mounted in the back...hmmm not to mention the disco ball)3.gif