Newbie La Scala questions

jeffgeorge

I fiinally pulled the trigger on a pair of '85 La Scalas. I am a Klipsch Veteran (20 yrs. or so), but I have a few questions regarding these beauties.

1. These look to be stock AK crossovers. Is there anything I should know about them? I may look at mods down the road, but for now, I want to spend some time listening to them.

2. I am going to use them as mains in my HT. Thinking of Using Heresys as center and surrounds. Anyone else here use this combo? Space up front is limited, so even though I won't rule out another La Scala as a center down the road - I would like to go the Heresy route. pros / cons?

3. I know many here tout tubes as the way to go. Practically speaking, I will be using a SS Surround receiver for a while. Any real problems with this?

Thanks in advance.

I fiinnally pulled the trigger on a pair of '85 La Scalas.

Congratulations!

2. I am going to use them as mains in my HT. Thinking of Using Heresys as center and surrounds. Anyone else here use this combo? Space up front is limited, so even though I won't rule out another La Scala as a center down the road - I would like to go the Heresy route. pros / cons?

I use a Heresy center and it works out great for me. I have another brand altogether at the rear surrounds but it doesn't bother me at all. It the voice match up front that is more important.

3. I know many here tout tubes as the way to go. Practically speaking, I will be using a SS Surround receiver for a while. Any real problems with this?

Thanks in advance.

----------------

Opinions differ. I've never tried tubes and I'm happy with an h/k receiver.

Congrats on the Scalas. I had a 5.1 setup for a while using LaScala mains and Heresy center and surrounds. It worked well. Also used an H/K AVR receiver with pleasing results for HT.

Not using it now, but not through any dissatisfaction with the gear. I'm just not a real HT lover.

Enjoy!

----------------

On 3/5/2005 9:25:18 PM jeffgeorge wrote:

I fiinally pulled the trigger on a pair of '85 La Scalas. I am a Klipsch Veteran (20 yrs. or so), but I have a few questions regarding these beauties.

1. These look to be stock AK crossovers. Is there anything I should know about them? I may look at mods down the road, but for now, I want to spend some time listening to them.

Thanks in advance.----------------

J.4knee uses this combination. You might ask him.

My 7.1 HT setup is similar to yours assuming that a Forte is a Heresy + passive radiator:

Belles for mains

Forte for center channel

La Scalas rears

Fortes for side surrounds

This works just fine. I had to turn up the gain on the Forte channels a considerable amount with respect to the gain on the Belles and Scalas due to the higher efficiency of the older units. Once balanced, the sound is spectacular. I'm using Outlaw Audio 950 for the preamp and 7 Outlaw Audio monoblocks for the amps. This works out just great. Enjoy.

OK I use La Scala's for my mains and front center. I have Heresy II's for front effects and side surrounds. I am looking for but not quite in the market for a Heresy II rear center. You can get more details on my set up if you look in my profile. I really like the selection and set up. The Heresy II's do exceptional for surrounds and effects. I prefer the matching identical front array of La Scalas mains and center. It results in a seamless match across the front and when the sound pans around you get the sense of the event moving around you rather than just sound moving from speaker to speaker. I dont use a sub mainly because I have not settled the question of what sub to use to keep up with my La Scalas. The Heresy does announce itself slightly as a center between two La Scalas but I only noticed that after having a La Scala there and put the Heresy II in just to see how it would work. If you do use a Heresy you will need to get bucking magnets to shield them so they do not interfere with your display. That is mainly for your run of the mill TV. Plasma, RPTVs, DLP, and LCD dont tend to be as affected by putting the unshielded speaker in place but bucking magnets are added insurance. It pretty much depends on where your electronic are in your display.

You may/will want to get rid of the AL crossovers in time. They are pretty harsh comparatively speaking. I upgraded to ALK series A. This was a significant improvement. Also if you horns are metal the rope caulk mod is worth the effort

I use a Yamaha RX V3300 SS receiver and it does a great job however the Peach/VRD combo I hear the other weekend on ALKd Klipschorns up at Andys was a really a joy to listen to. I am not aware of any tube pre/pro units that are set up to do the HT processing/decoding, so if you do go with separates in the long run you will most likely be using a SS pre/pro.