Fortes out of phase??

How do I check to make sure all the wires are connected correctly to the individual drivers on my Fortes? Can I use a meter?

This will sound really stupid (because it is) but I replaced the Xover caps with auricaps and while I marked the terminals on each driver with tape, I think I may have switched the leads somehow. The imaging just doesn't seem as solid as it should be and I am wondering if it is a phase problem.

Be gentle...I feel bad enough already!

Thanks

I was told to place the speakers face to face about two to three feet apart and you're in phase when you have the boomiest bass. You can also get a test cd that will help you figure out proper phase, polarity etc.

You should do a search of sorts here because I've seen a thread where using a battery is discussed. The polarity of the connection reveals itelf with movement of the diaphram, either forward or not based on the battery polarity. Then, you can tell if all drivers are wired the same.

The details of this are here somewhere. Better yet, the experts will chime in after supper. Just hang out.

BSA might be right about the new caps -- give it about, what, maybe 30-40 hrs to see if it won't come into line. I've had difficult go-arounds with one or another driver being out of phase, and it gets tricky. Do you think one of the drivers is out of phase on one or both sides? The three drivers on one side might not blend if one is out of phase.

Are you able to tell when something is out of phase? I believe I can by positioning my head between the two speakers in question, one ear closer to one and the other ear closer to the other, and listening to see whether they blend or fight each other. I think it's pretty obvious when they are fighting each other -- your ears feel like they are being pulled apart between the two. You may have to switch connections on an individual driver and listen again (trial-and-error is my method for detecting and fixing). Getting them all in phase on each side should take care of out-of-phase problems between the two.

Larry

Thanks all for the thoughts. As for not liking the caps...on the contrary, I very much like what the auricaps have done for the Fortes. What I am experiencing is a polarity issue I am sure.

It's not that it's terrible, it's just like Larry describes that the speakers appear to be fighting each other and it shows up in lost imaging.

I have a CD that tests polarity and it appears one of the speakers is out but it does not tell me which driver within the speaker is actually out. Trial and error I suppose unless anyone has any better ideas.