Is there a big difference in cd players

It depends on how high a quality your DVD player is. If it has good laser pickup assembly, low jitter, a robust power supply, excellent DAC's and/or a well-crafted transport, then the only CD player that would make a difference, in my opinion, is when you reach the level where you'd be utilizing the CD player's own DAC's, as opposed to your receiver's/preamp's.

Going to a stand alone CD player wouldn't necessarily mean better sound. It could, but "worth it" is a pretty subjective judgement.

One of the surprising things (at least to my simple mind) about the DVD/CD player market in the last couple of years is that there are some performers in the $100 price range that are quite decent. To me that's reassuring that one doesn't have to drop big bucks to have a good source.

If your current dvd/cd player sounds good, enjoy it!

----------------

On 3/12/2005 4:34:33 PM Daddy Dee wrote:

Going to a stand alone CD player wouldn't necessarily mean better sound. It could, but "worth it" is a pretty subjective judgement.

If your current dvd/cd player sounds good, enjoy it!

----------------

Good advice. But if you got deep pockets...

APL3910.

Hey Russ,

How's that carving doing? I have been thinking about giving a zr1600 a try.

I have a little concern about the hiss you speak of during some recordings. Do you find that happening on all recordings or just a select few?

Thanks

----------------

On 3/13/2005 10:50:26 AM stormin wrote:

Hey Russ,

How's that carving doing? I have been thinking about giving a zr1600 a try.

I have a little concern about the hiss you speak of during some recordings. Do you find that happening on all recordings or just a select few?

Thanks

----------------

my carver ZR1000 is doing great!

as for hiss.... there is a little hiss from the tweeter horn on my KLF-30's at about 6"..... it cannot be heard any furthur away.....

1.gif

In the last couple of weeks I have been demoing different CD players (CDP) and the differences between them were small. Granted, the higher quality of your pre-amp and amp will allow greater differences between CDP's. But, in general today's CDP's are quiet good compared to the models in the early 90's.

Will a dedicated CDP give you better sound? IMHO, it depends on the quality of your components and then the differences maybe quiet small. So is it worth spending money on a CDP? Only you could answer that question by demoing the CD player and judging the results for yourself.

BTW, I could not justify the cost ($1,500) for a CDP, which made my CD's sound slightly better.

S/N ratio is typically higher on DVD players then on CD players. 110 db versus 100. If you're using digital out to your pre-amp, then I would go with the higher S/N. If you're using the analog output then the DAC matters a lot for the quality of analog signal production and then it gets into which unit has the better quality converter.