A Friendly Hello

PrestonTom

Good Afternoon: I have been lurking for the last 6 months and it is about time to say hello. I have been particularly impresessed with the enthusiasm and level of knowlwedge shown by the members. About 10 years ago I picked up a pair of used K-Horns and I have been hooked ever since (probably not an unfamiliar tale).

Last month I made a modified/partial false corner (capitalizing on some of the good information found in the various threads). This has allowed me to put the Horns along the long wall in my listening room (about 18' apart and listening at a depth of about 10', of course providing the suggested 90 deg angle). This has really opened up the listening experience and provides for a better on-axis frequency response. Eventually I will post some pictures of the false corner I constructed since it has some features that others might be able to use (ease of construction, WAF & portability).

Now to my question. With the new configuration, I have a much better appreciation of the "hole in the middle" problem. Although in some ways it is also magnifies any fragility in the "sweet spot" . Alas! I am in the process of talking myself into getting a center channel to fill things in. I have fooled around with an extra Vandersteen speaker, amp & pre-amp (with a mono switch) I have available. In terms of the listening geometry the results are a success. In terms of the voicing the results are poor (as one might expect when mixing such different beasts). I obviously need a center that is driven by horns. Using a Belle or even a LaScala would seem a reasonable choice (although an expensive one). However, I enjoy wood working so I am intending to build a Belle-clone and either trying to get "authentic parts" from e-bay or perhaps substituting some interesting components for the mid and tweeter(perhaps altec). This of course brings up a number of issues on crossover-decisions, and would the frequency & phase responses between the modified center and the K-Horns be close enough to adquately match the voicing between the two, etc. etc.

I have been long winded. But I think you understand the issues I am struggling with. It is also a nice way to say hello to everyone. I appreciate your thoughts and would value your collective experience.

Thanks - Tom

Welcome aboard!

Yeah, if you're 18 feet apart, you'll definitely benefit from a center speaker. There is a host of information here on center channel solutions. I'll provide links later tonight if no one beats me to it.

I built a Belle using the plans and drawing available here on this section of the Klipsch forum. look back a few weeks or month or so and you'll find two large Belle threads. I built mine with birch plywood veneered with mahgany to match my '60 Khorns. It turned out great and looks wonderful. I scrounged around for parts and built my own crossovers per Al Klappenbergers plans, which are very nice and complete down to parts and vendor lists.

forget the search, here's the links:

original build-a-belle thread.

second

Belle Thread, my build stuff.

Al's page, look on the left towards the bottom.