K-Horn Side Grills

DoubleJ

Hi:

I have a couple questions regarding the side grills for '78 K-horns (WO B style).

1. What kind of plywood was used for these grills? I found an old thread that Andy (HDRbuilder) mentioned to use Baltic Birch. This type of plywood is very hard to find in my neck of the woods unless it is special ordered. Since I'm looking for one 4x8 piece, no place will even think about ordering. (I want to keep the speakers as original as possible)

2. Are all the grills the same shape/size? All but 1 side grill is trashed so I have no idea if all four are the same design.

Thank You in advance for your help!!

JJ

----------------

On 3/17/2005 11:00:42 PM Dylanl wrote:

1/2" It does not need to be baltic birch. They are sprayed Black. 4'x8' sheets can be bought at Lowes or Home Depot. If you want you can get birch there.

----------------

Thanks, Dylanl.

My Question #2 wasn't worded very well.

My Question #2 should be: Are all 4 panels the same shape? i.e the notches on the bottom. (opposite side of the beveled edge).

Thanks

JJ

JJ,

You don't need Baltic Birch to do this. Klipsch didn't use it, just regular 1/2" plywood. I would use a decent grade of A/C Exterior. Baltic Birch is kind of a real premium panel, the plys are very thin and there's lots of them. All the plies are birch, not just the face and back. It's imported from Europe, and it only comes in 5x5 panels, not 4x8. I haven't seen it at the usual chain stores like HD or Lowes.

Thanks for the reply, Tom.

I'll set my sights on some good quality Birch Plywood.

Hopefully my CNC programmer can do some magic and cut these out for me.

It will save a lot of time and hassle and another plus is that my neighbor is a furniture repairer/Upholsterer and will do the the re-grilling for me.

Thank You everyone for your help!!!!

JJ

• 14 years later...

I bought khorn decorators a few years back (5 or was that 8 now?) and they were just the bass bins and the top to seal the corner. A couple years ago built the tops to turn them from KD-FR into KC-FR and then the project stalled for a while, I got back to it and started on the side grills because I had bought some 12 mm Baltic birch for another project and I had some left over so I cut them to size and beveled the edge and it stalled again for other reasons. yesterday was very nice day near 60 degrees so I thought it might be nice to get back to it and get the pieces painted. I looked around for the triangle pieces and was missing one so after looking at the broken set that I had it was just easier to make new ones. At the moment I am only missing one L bracket and a pair of wing nuts, anyway it was near 50 by noon and I had all of the pieces sanded and ready to paint.

IMG_1144.thumb.JPG.99de3f58d2355912d2e05d63a88c64eb.JPG

I got out the Rustolium 7777 satin black and went at it with HVLP spray gun. You can see the tape I put on so I could glue and screw them together. I guess I should have assembled them first but if I had, they would likely still not be painted as the day was pretty short and the temp was going to drop pretty fast as the sun got lower in the afternoon.

IMG_1146.thumb.JPG.353189dc3017e74c2d688a1e09940762.JPG

• Like 2

14 minutes ago, Drugolf said:

So are the notches on the bottom just to account for base boards moldings?  If so, you could just do whatever makes sense for your application with some thought for versatility I guess.

Base boards, wires, lower wall corners that are not square, etc.  If building some replacements, I would take the time to include the cut-outs.

Thanks Randy , I'm not thrilled with how I made them but there ok.  When/if I ever get them done you won't see much of them anyway. I started out taking the best of the 4 grills I had and stripped off the fabric, then pulled the 500 or so staples so that I could copy it. I made a router template and there was little way to fasten it. It appear that I made one and gave up. I used a table saw and plunge cut what I could on the other three, then I wait a few months as my jigsaw was at my mothers vacation home. 

After posting the first couple of pictures this morning I went home and had a treasure hunt up in the attic and after about 10 minutes I found the other L bracket still attached the triangle. I used one of the triangles as a template and drilled the pilot holes for the screws. I put all 8 L brackets on and then put them away for a while. I need to find a pneumatic stapler for those little 1/4 inch staples that Klipsch used.

IMG_1152.thumb.JPG.1b1fc1bfb701c9781eee7908664257bc.JPG

• Like 1