Heresy as a center channel with K-Horns

PrestonTom

I have recently positioned my K-Horns along the long wall (about 18' and forming a 90 deg angle) and I am experiencing the "hole in the middle". Although I am toying with the idea of building a clone of a Belle or La Scala to use as a center, I am wondering about anyone's 1st hand experience when using a Heresy as a center channel (this is strictly for music, not HT).

Specifically, is the voicing between the Heresy and the K-Horn similar enough in the mids and highs (I realize this is an open-ended question). Also, do I need to worry about altering the crossover to minimize the blending the low frequencies (which are quite mismatched & I would not want to interfer with the superb bass response of the K-Horns)?

The Heresys are frequently avaliable and popular. So if the experiment is not a success, I could always turn them over.

Your thoughts and experience are welcome.

-Tom

I would say a Heresy would make a very good center between Khorns. It's my experience with center channel speakers in a music-only system, that you really don't need very much volume coming from the center channel. In fact, you really don't want much. Just enough to move the image.

It's also my experience that too much bass from the center channel disturbs the balance of bass from the Khorns. One of the most beautiful things about listening to Khorns is the way the bass "loads" a room. That can be upset somewhat by having an acoustic suspension woofer cranking away right in front of you. If it weren't for the low midrange coming from the woofer, I'd think it would work well with just the mid and tweet operating.

You should try it.

Greg

When I first looked into the concept of a center for my Belles, a number of people suggested that there are better suggestions than a Heresy as a center for the big three (K-horns, LaScalas, and Belles) because you need something larger to keep up with the mains, both in music and movies.

I followed the suggestions regarding Vertical Cornwalls as centers - and haven't looked back. A Vert. Corn makes a great center for large Heritage.

Plus, on its side, much lower than a LaScala or a Belle.

Even though my Vert. Corn has more bass emphasis than my Belles, the voicing is similar enough that the three blend nicely.

Carl.

The Dope from Hope series has some stuff about center channels.

It seems that PWK also agreed that all-horn mains should also have an all-horn center channel, that is, not an acoustic suspension speaker in the middle.

I would go with a Belle or LS as a center for Khorns vs. a Cornwall or a Heresy.

Having a hopefully temporary all-cone center myself, I find the difference between it and the mains to be very disparate and annoying.

It also has to be turned up quite a bit to at least be intelligible. I used to think that it didn't matter much, but I'VE CHANGED MY ATTITUDE about that!

DM2.gif

I think Heresy's are good to check out for center channel use and I believe that was Mr. Paul's first use of the Heresy and Cornwall. He came to think that the completely horn loaded speaker was better, but I listened to Dr. Bill's Khorns with Heresy center and thought they sounded good.

IMO, this is a reasonable way to find out if you like center channel... in Mr. Paul's words... "wall of sound".

Ihave used a vertical Cornwall as the center speaker since 1965 and am very happy with it. There was not a huge amount of change with the bass but the sub made huge changes and tended to even out the nodes. I do listen at very loud levels, and the K-horns are being driven with a separate amp with equalizer and expander. I use the PLCII setting when playing a standard stereo cd. It is a very very big and clean sound.

JJK