Do you Equalize.....Be honest!

Elydaman

Using my SS Sony TAE9000es pre I find it VERY hard not to use the equalizer with my Khorns. If I walk in and play a score in flat 2 channel with no EQ, it sounds great, but if I use my preset EQ curve.....WOW!. Now I know that is not a 2 channel purest position, but I have heard some, many, recordings which EQing makes a big difference. I don't think it is hedonistic to like a fuller mid range, or deeper bass than the orginal recording.

You can admit it if you do use the EQ, I won't name names.

What's up? Did I tread on the 2Channel Taboo? Either you do or you don't...but the question can be asked.....Is everyone using a Tube pre which does not give them the option to play with that nasty temptation to boost?...I think we have a horde of CLOSET EQers11.gif

The need to EQ or not is a function of the room as much as the equipment. Superimpose hearing loss as a function of frequency and age of listener and you have a situation where EQ could easily be justified. BTW tubes do not preclude the use of an EQ any more than the use of a CD

I used to use an eq when I was using my SAE preamp, both a parametric a standard eq. I thought it did a good job at the time. When I went with better equipment I discovered the eq while doing some things well, did colour the sound and changed it substantially. Over the years I have gone to the no eq in the system and like the result. It takes a bunch of tweaks to get around the sounds that you don't like, but the soundstage and detail is better than with the eq. As with most things audio, it is a compromise. Decide what you want and make a choice, you can always change it later if it doesn't work out.

Yes, I certainly do.

I'm using a Behringer DEQ2496. I really, really like it.

No, I love it.

This is one great little EQ, especially if you use it between your transport and DAC. To my ears, on my system, this thing is transparent in the digital path.

----------------

On 3/18/2005 10:11:20 PM timbley wrote:

Yes, I certainly do.

I'm using a Behringer DEQ2496. I really, really like it.

No, I love it.

This is one great little EQ, especially if you use it between your transport and DAC. To my ears, on my system, this thing is transparent in the digital path.
----------------

That's actually a really good idea.

I use a Pioneer VSX-59TXi as a processor. It incorporates an automated room correction and setup system. It also has an advanced correction system that uses delays to avoid cancellations. It has to be heard to be appreciated.

I have an RTA analysis of the prior model, the 49TXi, doing room correction for a Reference 7 system. The equalization shows a significant improvement in flat frequency response. When my system finishes the automated calculations, I manually cut any boost over three decibels. I also reset the subwoofer level and use a test disk to fine tune channel levels.

The Pioneer is a tweaker's dream come true. The best part is that I can switch from no EQ to 4 different preset EQs at a touch of the remote control.

Bill

----------------

On 3/18/2005 10:33:58 PM ben. wrote:

That's actually a really good idea.

----------------

I highly recommend giving it a try. The DEQ has optical digital input and output, as well as XLR AES/EBU.

I read some articles comparing the Behringer DEQ to the much more expensive DEQX. One thing that was brought up was that the Behringer uses IIR filters, while the DEQX uses FIR. I don't know anything about digital filters, but it was suggested that the IIR filters introduce phase shifts, while the FIR don't. I don't know for sure, but I'm of the impression that the Behringer is not messing up the phase. It doesn't sound like it's messing up anything to me.

Anybody know about how digital filters work?

----------------

On 3/18/2005 11:09:08 PM MrMcGoo wrote:

I use a Pioneer VSX-59TXi as a processor..... It has to be heard to be appreciated.

Bill

----------------

Very interesting, especially the advanced processing that helps with room cancellations. Great stuff! I can hardly wait to see (hear) what they come up with next.3.gif

No EQ or tone controls here; I've always been a "run it flat, use good equipment, or change the room" person. However, when Anthem updated their AVM-series processors to include a "notch" filter (to smooth out bumps in the bass frequency response", I happily went through the necessary steps to cure a spike in the 30-38 Hz range. It has made the bass a lot more realistic, taking away the low boominess, and replaced by a nice, natural sound.

Equalizer all the way

No room is perfect, no speaker is perfect. There's always room for improvement to fight room acoustics, and equalizers are the cure.

Purists? They really only exist with the headphone jocks, because they don't have to worry about room acoustics. Speakers have too much working against them to have a "pure" sound in the first place so equalizers are necessary to have have a better sounding system.

-Joe

While its true that the better system/room you have EQ is needed less,there's nothin' wrong with EQ.I run one set up flat,one -1T +1B and one +2T +4B,there's no right or wrong only what sounds best to you.