DLP or Plasma ?

donnie

----------------

On 3/19/2005 9:52:36 AM donnie wrote:

Durability. They say when the lamp goes the owner can change it, is this true?
1.gif

----------------

I've heard similar. No reason to believe otherwise. However, with CRT projectors (both forward and rear) the bulbs burning out is practically a non-issue...

nearly all plasmas have a overall life of at the most 15,000hrs.

i know thats a long time, but if you shelling out like twice as much for a plasma im not sure if its worth it...

i think the crt projectors will have the widest viewing angle, i know my rearprojector has prolly at the most a 150 degree angle then the colors distort and gets alot less bright... im pretty sure you will have the same problem with plasma's. so if you get a nice projector that will prolly have the widest viewing angle.

I have the Samsung DLP HDTV below in my profile. It is breathless with High Def or optical dvd information and with a 200- 250 dollar bulb, 4 screws, lasting if you watched it 8 hrs a day, every day 2 1/2 to 3 years. Then just pop in another bulb... Well you get my point. HOME RUN! Been told 12000- 16000 hrs some more some less and upgraded from previous printe material.

Like Griff said, some of it is asthetics though.

But a 61" on a stand or in a cabinet looks very impressive to me.(Just copy my pic and paste and enlarge to see our family room with it built into a book case.)

I will say this about all DLP's, make them at eye level or have your seating below a tad and avoid what a lot of people say is a rainbow effect. Buy a good DLP and forget really ever seeing it. I am not sure I ever had! (I always tell the negative stuff as well.) I have no idea what size your looking or the crave to have the latest stuff but Costco has last years model Samsung at a huge discount on that 61" monster HDTV too.) Save some money, get a very good DVD player. Even the Samsung 931 (225.00 at the time not too bad $$ wise) or higher will up convert through optical cable full discrete 7.1 5.1 thx dts etc etc etc codes in surround sound, and DVI into the Samsung HDTV lifelike pics like you have only dreamed of!

OK, sorry, sound too much like commercial.

i normally don't post in here, but my brother repairs TV's both regular CRT and DLP/Plasma/LCD's as well.

He told me to never invest in plasma, most of the time when a part fails part of the screen will burn, once that happens the burn doesnt go away and a replacement screen costs as much as a new one.

DLP is definately more durable. At least my brother who spends hours a day doing repair work says so.

My vote would go for a DLP front projector. I have an Infocus SP4805 and you can't beat a screen that is 106" diag in a 16:9 configuration. Granted it is not a high end projector but for what I paid I get nothing but wow factors form my friends when they come over and watch a movie or sporting event. Besides when it comes to lamp replacement whats 300 bucks every 2-3 years anyways. I would never go back to anything else after having this.

scooter

I have a Mitsubishi 52 DLP and love it. All DLP's I believe use essentially the same TI chip set depending on their age. As Indy indicates the DLP Hi Def picture is astounding and certainly give you more bang per buck than Plasma. Plasma pictures are truly amazing but the cost to performance ratio may not pan out as well for you and their lifespan is quotes are highly suspect IMO. My footprint is only 17 inches deep for a 52 set and it is fairly light considering (123 lbs). Viewing angle does decrease somewhat over CRTs but out here in So Cal you have to pay extra to dispose of CRTs when they expire. Over all I vote for DLP hands down.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 1:39:37 PM Erukian wrote:

i normally don't post in here, but my brother repairs TV's both regular CRT and DLP/Plasma/LCD's as well.

He told me to never invest in plasma, most of the time when a part fails part of the screen will burn, once that happens the burn doesnt go away and a replacement screen costs as much as a new one.

DLP is definately more durable. At least my brother who spends hours a day doing repair work says so.
----------------

Your brother, huh? I guess he sees a whole lot of Plasmas come in for repair on a daily basis? Sounds like a guy I'd like to get all of my advice from.

----------------

On 3/20/2005 2:21:29 AM toddvj wrote:

----------------

On 3/19/2005 1:39:37 PM Erukian wrote:

DLP is definately more durable. At least my brother who spends hours a day doing repair work says so.----------------

Your brother, huh?
I guess he sees a whole lot of Plasmas come in for repair on a daily basis
? Sounds like a guy I'd like to get all of my advice from.

----------------

That is too funny.

I guess what it comes down to is what the TV is going to be used for. I absolutely love my plasma. some friends have DLP and they look great but I prefer the plasma presentation. The burn in issue with plasmas, yep it is known that it can happen. Many of the manufacturers have features to prevent/limit its affect. If I watch a movie that is 2.33 to 1 I simply run the wiper a few times. For gaming, there hasn't been an issue with burn in.

if you do your shopping you can find some good deals on all TV formats.

Feed back GREATLY appreciated... My choice is the Mitsubishi 52 DLP. My local dealer says 2500.00 cash or Diamond finacing. CASH talks baby. Also worked him for all the needed cables. Can't wait to interface with my Onkyo DV-SP1000 through the HDMI hook up. I think i will be reviewing my entire dvd collection for awhile. Thanks Again Guys!!!!!!!!!2.gif

If you cannot afford rear projection, then I would suggest that you find the biggest LCD flat screen you can afford. Side by side, a really good LCD....not LCD projected, will blow away a plasma. Plasma suffer from angle view problems that LCD do not. Plus, the LCD are more affordable. Have better contrast ratio's, and do not have the bulb live issues.

I would use that for general TV viewing, but for the best in movies....you have to go projector.....nothing compares!

----------------

On 3/20/2005 9:11:17 PM Elydaman wrote:

If you cannot afford rear projection, then I would suggest that you find the biggest LCD flat screen you can afford. Side by side, a really good LCD....not LCD projected, will blow away a plasma. Plasma suffer from angle view problems that LCD do not. Plus, the LCD are more affordable. Have better contrast ratio's, and do not have the bulb live issues.

I would use that for general TV viewing, but for the best in movies....you have to go projector.....nothing compares!----------------

Where does one find these "affordable" LCD flat screens? They are every bit as expensive as plasma, if not more so, and rear projection is cheaper than both. Also, I've never known plasma TVs to have a problem with viewing angle or contrast ratio.

----------------

On 3/19/2005 12:11:18 PM erickoegle wrote:

nearly all plasmas have a overall life of at the most 15,000hrs.

i know thats a long time, but if you shelling out like twice as much for a plasma im not sure if its worth it...

i think the crt projectors will have the widest viewing angle, i know my rearprojector has prolly at the most a 150 degree angle then the colors distort and gets alot less bright... im pretty sure you will have the same problem with plasma's. so if you get a nice projector that will prolly have the widest viewing angle.

----------------

see, this is the type of ignorant posts that demand moderation. I dont know of any plasmas that sell today that advertize a 15k hour lifespan. Most of them tout a from 30,000-60,000 half life, which means it will be half as bright around that time, forseeably its life would be around 100,000 hours. I wish people like you would take the time to research the facts before you post and confuse someone else brand new from making ill informed decisions.

as far as viewing angle goes, you're completely wrong on that front too. Front projection has the LEAST viewing angle of all technologies out right now.. when you get a screen and calibrate it. Plasma, and I think just regular CRT has the highest, at around 160 degrees. seriously, please stop posting this propaganda as fact...