As a lark, how are 5 Academy's for HT?

Coytee

Just like it says. What would be the merit (if any) using 5 Academy's for HT setup , and what sub might best match them?

Given the real estate all Heritage would require (I already have 2 Khorns & 2 LaScalas... need center) the Academy's , which DO kick some serious butt, could be mounted off floor (and I already have three of them)

Although I highly doubt I'll do it with the Academy's, the thought just hit me so I'll look forward to any thoughts.

I think they would work great if size was your concern. I have two Academies as surrounds and been very happy with them. For years I had a single Academy a my center and we all know how great a center it is. The only thing I don't know about is how they would work as mains. My guess would be great if it was a movie only room. For a music and movie room I think a 6.1 set up of Forte mains and 4 Academies would sound fantastic and not have too much space issues.

Just my $0.02

I think they'd do very well. Response-wise you're going to get basically the same thing as using five Heresys, but each speaker will take half the real estate and the Academy is shielded, which may or may not be a benefit in your application. I sure don't see anything wrong with it.

I think one thing a lot of people forget is that the "woofer / tweeter / woofer" alignment is a compromise to allow for easier positioning of the speaker in the center. The off-axis response of this speaker will have severe lobing issues due to the physical location of each driver in relation to each other. In more recent center channels, Klipsch has introduced a tapered array so that this doesn't happen...at the cost of lower efficiency. The Academy does not have a tapered array crossover.

All that said, I'm sure 5 academies would sound decent at the main listening position, but any other seat in the HT will have a very unpredicted response (and probably sound wierd).

In addition to that, the academy doesn't use a hornloaded mid which is what a lot of people enjoy about the older klipsch products...even though the rated sensitivity of the heresy is 1dB greater, I can guarantee the driver in that mid horn is moving much less than the drivers in the academy...which means less FMD and a clearer sound.

Why don't you incorporate the academies into a 7.1 rig? (front center and then back L and back R).

----------------

On 3/19/2005 1:16:13 PM DrWho wrote:

Why don't you incorporate the academies into a 7.1 rig? (front center and then back L and back R).

----------------

I origionally had them as my front "effects" (yamaha ht) and front center in a 7.0 system lol. I had my EV's as the rears (LaScalas as my mains) with two of them doing 106 db at 28 hz, I never worried about a sub.

I've since acquired Khorns so need to do some shuffling around. I frankly don't think the Academy's are going to be sufficient to keep up if I use Khorns in front and LAscalas in rear (and center).

If I go that route, which is my current inclination, then the Academey's will either have to go (most likely) or perhaps I can put them somewhere else in the house (not likely...WAF)

then it dawned on me... what if I slapped the Khorns in the front for 2 ch, mounted the Academy's up on the walls in front/center and behind...

I could perhaps sell the LaScalas and EV's (or move them garage??)

Since the basement is currently full of storage and otherwise just stud walls, I'm very much in the air as to what I can do. Because of that, I'm continually bantering different thoughts/ideas around in the back of my head.

I'm SUPPOSED to be cleaning the basement out today but I'm reading one of my favorite sites instead.... 11.gif3.gif

I think it would be stellar, don't base comments on what you think it might sound like unless you have heard an Academy in action. It's specifications don't mean squat when it comes to its sonic performance.

Five Academies in my opionion would produce a tremendous sound stage, they are clean and defined sounding. Having identical speakers in all five postions will make a difference. The determining factor is however given the price that they sell for it would not be economical for most people to do since you can obviously get five Heresy's or Heresy II's for less. Standing them on end will alleviate any horn positioning issues.

Since you already have three if you could score two more you could surely find out what it would sound like. There is no downside as I am sure you could find takers for them if it was not to your liking.

In addition, the performance of the Academy can be brought to a whole other level with a crossover upgrade. If you think your Academy sounds good stock you have no idea what it is capable of with better components in it. 9.gif

ah yes, i shouldn't have made my projections on the sound...sincere apologies

doesn't mean the lobing thing and the lack of mid horns aren't true 3.gif2.gif

Seriously though, I don't understand all the hype about this speaker considering it has none of the attributes that people love about their old heritage apart from the tweeters 2.gif Anyone in the chicagoland area willing to let a forum bro swing by and hear one? If they're really as nice as everyone makes them out to be (which tends to be true around here), then I'm gonna need to purchase me one (which would be a lot more user friendly than an unshielded heresy for a center channel).

Again, sorry if I came across as projecting opinions on their sound...I was just trying to comment on their technical attributes.

Who,

I respect your education and your expertise, but I do think you overestimate the lobing effect. I can't say I've ever heard any weirdities out of this speaker as a result of sitting off-axis.

I think most of the hype has to do with the relative scarcity of the Academy compared to the abundance of Chorus, Forte, and Quartet speakers that are out there. Who wants to go spend the bucks for a new Reference system when they can build on what they have? My belief is that it's a simple supply/demand dynamic -- more people want them than can easily get them.

I mean, here you've got a shielded center channel that timbre matches the extended Heritage speakers. You wouldn't want one?

Those that currently own Academy's and think that they are awesome right out of the box as I did are in for a real special treat! They can get alot better!

Chris Munson (a.k.a. Popbumper) has designed and engineered some custom PCB's and put a special reworked crossover network together for me that I just installed yesterday - Whoa! Is all that I can say right now but look for a full and detailed review coming real soon. Stay tuned!

Hi,

I haven't heard the academy, but I have had the original Klipsch THX set of speakers for a few years now.

The KT-LCR is currently performing center, and surround duties with my La Scala mains.

It is a great speaker, the only gotcha is that unlike most center channel speakers, this one is designed to be positioned vertically, rather than horizontally. makes for some fun when trying to place it with a TV set.

Since I switched to a front projector, I have the center speaker vertical when I watch concert DVD's and it is great.

I'd give it a try, heaven knows if you do get five academy's together, you can have a great weekend on EBAY if you decide to part with them.

Lyle.