odd belles? please help

klipsch kid

Hi everyone. I have just purchased a set of klipsch belles from 1977.i have been looking for a pair for a long time. when I hooked them up I quickly noticed that one of the speakers had a more pronounced bass sound. I did all the usual switching of the speakers from left to right and found that it was not the position of the speakers. I moved the whole cabinet that was on the right to the left side of the room and the left cabinet to the right side and guess what? now the bass was more pronounced on the other side. this leads me to believe that it is not the speaker placement. I tried to listen closely with the treble turned down and the bass is greater always in the same speaker. in that speaker when I opened the bottom I saw a the interior covered with tin foil and a thick material lined and covered with tin foil also. the back of the woofer magnet is also all black, but when I opened the other speaker, the back of the woofer magnet was silver. they are both k33 woofers. Also one more thing . the speaker that had the tinfoil also had the word shielding written on the sticker on the back of the cabinet . the one with the signatures and serial numbers on it. please help as I am wondering if I got stiffed with a bad pair of speakers. I think that they came from the factory this way since it was hand written on the sticker paper. Any information would be greatly appreciated . thanks my fellow klipsch fans.

oh I almost forgot . the high frequencies sound fine. I also checked my preampn and the cd on a second pair of speakers my small speakers are fine so I think its the belles.

Just something to try. Loosen and retighten all the terminal strip screws on the crossover of the one with less bass and see if that changes anything. I cured a problem similar to that on an old pair of Lascalas that way.

Bob Crites

I'm the owner of some used Belles and have not taken them out of the box, yet. It would be nice to work with you on this.

I think the factory has never done anything like what you descibe. Perhaps Trey can jump in here. Tin foil is not a good shield.

You are saying that the tin foil and etc. unit has better bass. A big issue with bass horns is the sealing of the back chamber. Usually a lack of seal is said to lead to less deep bass. It may be that lack of it leads to a big peak in mid bass and that is what you're hearing.

I can't help but think that a former owner was tinkering. Maybe to address a probem. It might be that he thought there was an air leak, aluminuim foil might have been his "solution".

Let's see what Trey says.

My gut instinct is that you should return the odd ball unit to factory spec., hunt for any inperfections in seals around the plywood, driver, and motor board. Please also check the hatch for a good seal.

Gil

Hi, I took out the tin foil and it still seems to have greater bass than the speaker with out the tin foil. I am just concerned that it will cost me allot to figure out what the problem is. I think it can be only 3 things. 1 the driver, 2 the crossover, or 3 the cabinet. I just don't know what to do. I have been wanting a pair of these speakers for the longest time and when I was finally able to afford them and get them home, I was very disappointed. when I opened the other cabinet with no tinfoil , I saw some small tinfoil pieces. I think that both boxes at one time had this tinfoil insulator and one box was cleared of it. it dos look like it was from the factory because the tinfoil was stapled on the inside. Please advise.

thanks

Hi, I took out the tin foil and it still seems to have greater bass than the speaker with out the tin foil. I am just concerned that it will cost me allot to figure out what the problem is. I think it can be only 3 things. 1 the driver, 2 the crossover, or 3 the cabinet. I just don't know what to do. I have been wanting a pair of these speakers for the longest time and when I was finally able to afford them and get them home, I was very disappointed. when I opened the other cabinet with no tinfoil , I saw some small tinfoil pieces. I think that both boxes at one time had this tinfoil insulator and one box was cleared of it. it dos look like it was from the factory because the tinfoil was stapled on the inside. Please advise.

thanks

thanks

Hi .

Well I took out the woofer from the speaker that had to much bass and guess what? the accordion cloth surround had 2 separate tears. across from each other. I also felt that the woofer was not as stiff as my other woofer. I will replace it with one from my la scala which is much stiffer and has no tears and will see what happens. Oh one more thing. is it better for the woofer to be stiffer or not and is the problem of the greater bass from the stiffness or the tears?

thanks

klipsch kid.