Need help deciding which speakers to go with

HondaGuy

Well if I decide to go with the RF-7's which by the sounds of it would be much better, I won't beable to get them for a few more months and I might want to look at a higher end amp also. How cheap do you think I could get a pair of the RF-7's? (new in box)

EDIT

Ouch I just looked at the dimensions of the RF-7, this might be a problem, I might beable to work it but they are very deep.

I might have to do a little furniture rearranging to make them fit in here.

EDIT

Ok I can't pull this off I'm going to have to go with a bookshelf speaker. 6.gif

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 3/22/2005 2:05:18 PM HondaGuy wrote:

So between the RB-35 and the RB-75.. the 75 would be my best bet for a bookshelf speaker?

----------------

Yes. As Bill indicated, the RB-75 has a much better compression driver than the RB-35. I previously owned a pair of RB-75s, and the improved horn (over the RB-35) was well worth the difference in price. I ended up trading my RB-75s for some vintage stereo gear, but they would be my choice if I was again in the market for bookshelves.

Carl.

Can someone clue me in on Signal to Noise Ratio? I'm looking at these really high end amps and I'm only seeing that they are 85-92db SNR, and I look at cheaper ones and I notice they are 100db or more... Whats the deal? Are cheaper amps measured in a way that isn't measuring their true output or something?

SNR is just marketting talk, most people don't know what it is, so it really doesn't matter in the end, because it doesnt have anything to do with how dynamic and natural the sound that comes out of the amp is. Specs are a means to an end, i noticed you mostly get for what you pay. If your getting the RB-75's, I recommend a great amp like the Teac AL-700P. but that's from my own experience. A lot of people also recommend you pick up a Harman Kardon 430 off ebay.

The Cambridge Audio looks pretty good on paper but without auditioning it its hard to tell. I would bet you could get the Marantz PM7200 for right at $500.00.

And like Erukian said, "you mostly get what you pay for".

There are probable at least a dozen or more good amps in the price range you are looking at and with the features you want. Go listen to them and buy what you are happy with.

I believe we all hear differently, I know I do from working around airplanes for ever. We can only make suggestions, if your looking for someone to say go buy this youll be happy with it, I don't think many around here will tell you that.

If you notice all the people in here have very diverse systems and we all think out systems sound good to us for the most part. Go buy what sounds good to you and let us know how you like it.

Just my $.02

Steve

signal to noise measurements can be very helpful, but they are only one of many indicators of performance that have to be taken into consideration. SS amp manufacturers usually take measurements at close to (close to not at) max power where their distortion is lowest. At 1 Watt and below, these measurements would be far worse for many amps, so those numbers are not quoted. Sometimes s/n graphs are shown down to 1 Watt ar a half Watt or lower, and you begin to get an idea about how the amp will sound on efficient speakers at moderate volume. But again, those are only indicators to help you decide what to audition (not what to buy). I suggest you get the speakers then begin auditioning amps.

Leo

----------------

On 3/22/2005 5:11:46 PM leok wrote:

signal to noise measurements can be very helpful, but they are only one of many indicators of performance that have to be taken into consideration. SS amp manufacturers usually take measurements at close to (close to not at) max power where their distortion is lowest. At 1 Watt and below, these measurements would be far worse for many amps, so those numbers are not quoted. Sometimes s/n graphs are shown down to 1 Watt ar a half Watt or lower, and you begin to get an idea about how the amp will sound on efficient speakers at moderate volume. But again, those are only indicators to help you decide what to audition (not what to buy). I suggest you get the speakers then begin auditioning amps.

Leo

----------------

So what I should do is get the speakers and then bring them to a high end audio store and try them on various amps?

Use the amp you have. It may be a bit rough, but possibly a nice surprise. Over time, borrow a few amps of different types and begin to get a sense for what sounds good to you. It's worth taking some time to get to understand what these speakers can do and what sounds best for you. Many stores and web retailers have returns policies and sometimes loaners for exactly this purpose. You might pick up a cheap (and I mean cheap) Class-T amp to hear what that's all about (check elsewhere on this site).

Leo

For what it's worth, I'm currently running four rb-35s as surrounds (I couldn't afford 4 rb-75s!). My reciever can reassign two of my 7.1 surrounds as fronts, so just for fun I did that so I could a/b them against my rf-35s. They do a pretty darned decent job, too. I have a large room with atrocious acoustics, so I really need floorstanders as mains (and I REALLY need rf-7s, when I can save up for them), but the rb-35s would sound quite good in an apartment.

I have done an a/b comparison of the rb-75s and the rb-35s in a store demo room. Obviously it's an artificial setting, but there was a noticeable improvement in sound with the rb-75s, so if you can afford them, I'd recommend them. If not the rb-35s aren't exactly shabby.

Just my 2 cents; good luck!

Scott

----------------

On 3/23/2005 1:17:51 PM HondaGuy wrote:

Wow I found the Marantz PM7200 on Cambridge SoundWorks website for $499, good deal?

----------------

Greetings:

Quality wise, IMHO, I think you might be able to do better.

But I have not read all of the first page after I wrote. If you have an amp you may want to save.

Leo gives good advice.

dodger

Theoretically, the can go right up next to the TV cabinet, because they are video shielded. I would caution you to move them as far as possible and move them forward, or backward with a blue screen on your set. This will show you if there is going to be any detriment to your screen.

Reason 1. They will have better soundstaging and imaging if farther apart.

Reason 2. I have had experience with the RB-3's (predessor to the RB-25's) - I had one right next to my Panasonic 36" TV, and now it has a green spot in the lower corner of my screen, which will not go away. I don't think that the magnetic shielding Klipsch uses always works real well... in my experience, that is.

8.gif