1975 single La Scala as center with 2004 La Scalas, possible timbre match problem?

jbsl

I am thinking about buying the single La Scala for sell on Ebay. A forum member said it was a 1975 model. I have 2004 La Scalas and I was wondering if there would be a timbre matching problem. Right now I am using a C7 that works good but a single LS would match better.

Xman

The K-55X and K-77X are virtual clones of the K-55V and K-77 I think it would match perfectly. I would suggest at a minimum updated the old aging caps in it though prior to use so the level of detail would match that of the 2004 La Scala's. You wan't the '75's performance to be equal to that of the 2004's so I would have Dean G, Bob C, or ALK work you up a modern network for it.

You could also either dampen the K-400 midhorn with Dynamat or rope caulk or spend the $50 to update it to the K401K to make it even closer to the 2004's.

I am using a '78 La Scala in between '88 Khorn's and I have no issues. I did change out the horn and network though.

I have been buying more SACDs, DVD Audio discs that have the center channel info and this really sounds great! I also found a way to use a regular cd in my Denon 2900 DVD player and mixing my HT setup with my 2 channel set up that gives a 3 channel presentation. I have a Denon 4800 that I run the preouts for the left and right channels to my Luxman preamp. The Luxman has a much better sound than the Denon so this works for me. The only downside is when watching a movie the Denon controls the volume of the center and rear speakers and the Luxman controls the left and right speakers. My Denon remote controls everything so this is a easier way of adjusting the levels of the speakers. I don't have to go into the set up and raise the volume level of the center chanel + or - 12 instead just raise the volume on the remote.

Ok I found out by puting the A/V reciever on DVD and then hitting the dolby/dts surround button it will play a cd in mono on the center speaker. I then turn up the left and right speakers going through the Luxman. Then I just turn the center channel up so things like vocals are perfectly centered and sound like they are right in front of you. This may just be my system but at lower listening level I notice that vocals may not sound perfectly centered and the music is a little louder than the vocals. This fixes the problem and it only takes a second on the remote. So a La Scala center would sound even better!

Xman

The only probable difference (if noticable) would be the crossover network.

Whether it would be an issue can only be determined when its used. I would tend to doubt that it would present a problem, though. But it couldn't hurt to upgrade the network to the new version if desired.

DM2.gif