The New World Economy

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Diesel had planned for his engines to run on vegetable oil. Big oil won.

There are some plans for some new vehicles to run on any of a multiple of fuels. Propane, hydrogen, etc. A hydrogen powered vehicle is pretty much equal to or less expensive to operate than gas (petroleum) right now.

My parents have a big ol' '94 Caprice Classic, rear wheel drive, V8 and the darn thing gets 29mpg on the highway. Then when you go look at a little Toyota or Chevy and it's rated at 30-32mpg highway, there's something wrong somewhere. For some reason car makers think everyone needs 250hp these days. I know others with the same car getting that kind of mileage. My '91 Ford Explorer 2WD with 211K miles gets a consistent 23mpg on the highway, 95% of my driving. I can't see the reasoning in buying something that might get say 35mpg and have to make a new car payment plus buy gas. I spend $120/month on fuel at today's price. If I bought something that gets 35mpg I would spent $80/month on gas. Sorry but I'm not getting a more fuel efficent car unless mine blows up. I'm all for saving gas, I've let up on my speed by about 4-5mph and noticed a slight increase in fuel economy, maybe 5%, but I have to look at the bottom line of what's coming out of my pocket. I'd seriously look at VW Jetta TDI if I "had" to buy a car tomorrow.

Grateful11

PS: For the per barrel prices that we have today we would need to be using about 3 times the oil now than we did 6 or 7 years when oil was in the $12-20/barrel range. It's all a load of crap just like it was in the 70's. Anyone notice anything about the spikes on the chart at the link below?

http://www.wtrg.com/prices.htm

I forget who is the one that said "Americans are sheep" I think it was an American Economist, commenting on Americans being raised just to become consumers, born and raised to suit corporate needs.

Will America become a nation of consumers, well we already are. But one day will we become a nation of consumers and not producers. Will we be able to afford simple things in life if there are no jobs, except for service industry jobs.

The direction that America and its economy is heading towards is disastrous. If things don't change we will be a nation of apartment renting, Gap apparel wearing, Honda driving, Walmart shopping, Americans working fulltime in some form of service industry like McDonalds. But then again those jobs will be taken by illegal immigrants, so I guess were fu@ked.

I live in California and its not looking good.

Don't forget how many countries are either:

A.) Doing the same as us. For god $*#&% sake - SAMSUNG in SOUTH KOREA IS OUTSOURCING MUCH OF THEIR PRODUCTION TO OTHER ASIAN COUNTRIES!!! Their stuff used to ALL be make in Korea, now a lot of it is being made in Indonesia, Malaysia, etc. The whole thing that made these Korean companies so neat was they were based in the country the stuff was built and they had a good work force. Not anymore. Japan has been at this for a while (way less stuff from Japanese companies is made in Japan). IT IS NOTHING NEW and many other countries with a lot more on the line are doing the same.

B.) Have been like we are becoming. Look at countires like England - not a whole heck of a lot going on over there. But they seem to be doing OK with banking, services, construction, etc. As long as you are making the profit and own the companies, it seems to work.

Oh well, I am doing business stuff in college that will be pretty resistant (or even beneficial) towards this sort of stuff. I need to take care of myself first.

just for fun, the dollar an't what she use to be but she's not died yet,question? what if the dollar is bottoming;oversold , an the CRB is topping;overbought, thttp://www.decisionpoint.com/ChartSpotliteFiles/041217_USD2.gif http://www.decisionpoint.com/ChartSpotliteFiles/050318_CRB.gif ,have to move with the times ,if you owened the Dow 30 ,100 years ago, you would have been in companys ,making horse saddles, leather tanning, lead, an arsnic, adaptation is a great human strengh

Yamaha ... makes near half of thier cycle parts in Indonesia ...

hell, even the **** are screwed, no more lifetime employment ...

the only people winning the "Global " game ...

are people like my father-in-law ..

he works for Dean-Witter ... corporate profits on whole, never been higher .. ..

.6.gif

Yamaha ... makes near half of thier cycle parts in Indonesia ...

hell, even the **** are screwed, no more lifetime employment ...

the only people winning the "Global " game ...

are people like my father-in-law ..

he works for Dean-Witter ... corporate profits on whole, never been higher .. ..

.6.gif

I have a question: How much are we exporting vs. importing? It seems that America is supporting the worlds labor force. We buy products from everywhere. Do any of the products we manufacture reach any other shores than Europe? If you know I would be interested in the %.

Last thing, IMO Wal-Mart is the downfall of America. If saving a penny or two means so much to you ( most of Americans ) that it leaves no room for small business to grow it will not take much longer for the middle class man to fall. I think we all see the worth in something like Klipsch and the need to support it. Sadly, this group here is different than most.

Cheaper does not equate to better. I try to support local business and have had it with Wal-Mart and the hypocrisy

Not to flame, but driving in Detroit, I couldn't help but notice the supply of Fords and Chevy's on the roads. Nary a Honda to be seen. Do these mostly blue-collar types really believe that they are supporting American workers by buying American brand names and eschewing Foreign names?

My Honda Accord was built in Marysville Ohio, but I'm glad I didn't park it at the Detroit mall where I went shopping.

We should have been conserving since the oil embargo in 1977 (?), but noooo, America's great manufacturing base decided to make mini-trucks and SUV's to get around Congress' Corporate Fleet Economy rulings, intended to make the average vehicle more fuel efficient. So instead of making more efficient vehicles, here we are in the next century, with many driving even worse gas hogs than before.

Even my new 2005 Honda Accord will get no better gas mileage than the one purchased a decade before. You mean even they couldn't squeeze one more MPG out of fuel in 10 years! I"ve been doing my part, driving 30mpg HOndas for 30 years now.

ANy one of you who regularly hauls around town with a gas guzzler SUV with one occupant and an 'environment' license place deserves to have an extra tax slapped on your wastful vehicle. nuf said.

Michael

----------------

On 3/27/2005 4:23:10 PM Dylanl wrote:

Last thing, IMO Wal-Mart is the downfall of America. If saving a penny or two means so much to you ( most of Americans ) that it leaves no room for small business to grow it will not take much longer for the middle class man to fall. I think we all see the worth in something like Klipsch and the need to support it. Sadly, this group here is different than most.

Cheaper does not equate to better. I try to support local business and have had it with Wal-Mart and the hypocrisy

----------------

Small businesses in Reno by and large seem to screw people over. I would gladly like to see them fold, not nice people to deal with. Alsways trying to sneak more profit in there to screw you over (add fees, outrageous prices for carppy service, etc.). And don't play the 'trying to survive against Wal*Mart card' - as they are not competing with them.

----------------

On 3/27/2005 4:35:50 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

Not to flame, but driving in Detroit, I couldn't help but notice the supply of Fords and Chevy's on the roads. Nary a Honda to be seen. Do these mostly blue-collar types really believe that they are supporting American workers by buying American brand names and eschewing Foreign names?

----------------

I go up to Flint , MI a coouple times a year and some of the manufacturing plants will make people the drive "foriegn" made cars to work park furthest away from the building in the lots, allowing the GM, Ford, Chrysler drivers park as close as possible.

When we go up there we rent a car most every time. If we happen to get a Buick, I wonder occasionally if it will get trashed overnight by the people of Flint.

"Do these mostly blue-collar types really believe that they are supporting American workers by buying American brand names and eschewing Foreign names?"

Sure, when you buy American made products you support American workers, simple. Note too that many Unionized workers are fully aware of what is made where by whom.

For instance my Crown Vic was union made in Ontario. That's OK with me, Canadian workers don't undercut American wages. I feel the same about union made Euro cars like BMWs, Saabs, Volvos etc. But note that some Saabs are rebadged Subarus made in Japan and that Mercedes and BMW have opened non-union American plants in the south.

Now that's a hoot, the Germans look at American southerners as cheap, compliant labor, the same way WE look at Mexicans. People holding us in contempt, whaddaya know.

Anyway my new CTS is union made in Lansing Michigan though the motor is made in Ontario. No doubt various parts are shipped from overseas.

I'd rather buy a car made union in another country than made non-union in the US, like your Honda was. If I hadn't been in a union I wouldn't be driving a CTS.

2.gif