RF-7 Listening test

Edklipsch

Finally decided to listen to the new RF-7's today. Listening test lasted maybe all of 15 seconds. Found them disappointing, but, that's just my opinion. Maybe if I didn't own the KLF-30/20's I may have liked, but... Did like the finish though. Nice.

I'll keep my 30's thanks.

Ed

No I didn't to be honest. Guess I just like the brighter sound of the 30's. Like I said, everyone has their own opinion. I still think Polk speakers sound awesome, and have owned 5 pairs of Polks, but, then I discovered the 30's, and, well, here I am.

Glad to hear you that you think they are a much nicer speaker, I'm assuming.

Ed

I agree Ed, If it hadn't been Klipsch, Polk was my next choice in 92, but then again, those wonderful looking Martian Probes the 801'zzzzzzzzzzz.....*YAWN****

I forgot to add, I haven't seen them, heard them, but as a Heritage owner, Klipsch is the component missing on most HT's and 2chn home audio....MO.

MAN, someone hand me a Grammar checker, with meaning to "present" day, heard the 801's in "92" as a previous forum...Crown Royal is a killer ..I think I'll post em heerrreeeeeeeeeee......

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 08-26-2001 at 07:54 PM

Funny how the very first sounds from a speaker strike you one way, but after you listen to them for awhile, what you notice is often completely different.

"Hey, those sound bright", you might think, but after awhile that is not what you notice at all. Instead what pops into your ears is the accuracy of the mid-range or the tone of the horns.

Are first impressions always decieving? Or do the subtleties take on added importance?

------------------

Cornwalls, Bottlehead 2A3 Paramours, Dynaco II, Rotel, KSW200 & LF10

Like all Klipsch I've owned and now have,the gear can make a difference.I was at CES this year and had the chance(when they were running everyone else off)to listen to the 7's.I thought there was a nice improvement over the previous Reference line.They were using Aragon's new stuff(200X5 and pre)

Had the chance to sit and listen to the 5's at the local Tweeter(don't like the place).After listening for a few songs they started to grow on me.IMHO it shouldn't take a few songs,but I did start to warm up to them.They were set-up baddddddddly!Stuck in between the side walls(built in)and the audio cabinet.But that didn't seem to hurt the highs and mids.

I would love to listen to the 7's and say the KLF-20(musicaly)side by side.So hard to demo at the store.

Wonder how they'd sound with tubes?

------------------

Main HT:'77 Klipschorns w/ALKs,

'75 Heresy center,modified with,K-Horn sqauwker & AA network.

KSP-S6 at sides

2 KSP-S6's rear.

Denon AVR-3801

2 Denon POA-2800 200X2

1 driving the Horns

1 driving the bi-wired Heresy center.

2 DIY 12"4ohm subs,Carver A500x 400 watts per ch.feed.

1 12" powered sub(behind the couch)feed from the surrounds pre-outs.

Sony DVP-C650D.

Dishnetwork Echostar 4700 w/DD

JVC S7600U S-VHS

Pioneer CDL-D501 laser

Music in "Direct"only!

DH Labs T-14 speaker wire to the front 3.

Room size;15.5 X 25' opening into dining room.

Old RCA 52"RPTV w/matching cabinets

Bed room HT:

KSB 2.1 mains,SC-1,SS-1's,2 SW 8 II subs.

Cornwall Is for music only

Denon AVR-2800,

Dishnetwork,Sony SLV-975HF VCR,Panasonic DVD-RV31.

27"RCA

No need for some to act like a putz, ya know? I listened to them (RF-7/KLF-30)side by side, and the 30's appeal to me more. But, maybe if they had been hooked up to a, I dunno, a $20,000 ref amp, they may have shined like the sun, and outperformed anything ever made. Guess ATI will just have to make a better amp, (laffin). Who knows. But, I'm sure a certain individual here does, right?

Ed

ed, i take it u, like me, dig that klf-30 slam of the dual 12 inchers especially from about 40-160hz (2nd & 3rd octaves).

i listened to the rf-7 w/ much better equipment than mine - marantz preamp & mcintosh amp (see my thread under home theater). my rf-3 & these new ref are somewhat less bright on the highs.

but the brighter highs don't bother me at all.

maybe because of the hearing damage from all those concerts & loud home listening. but the klf-30 come much closer to the cornwalls. & cornwalls are it for me until the dream k-horns arrive. & that's not just my 3-way bias. cwm3.gif

------------------

Klipsch KLF 30 (front), KLF C7, Cornwall I (rear)

Velodyne HGS-18 sub woofer

Monsterbass 400 sub interconnect/Monster MCX-2 biwire & Z1 cable

Marantz SR-8000 receiver

Sony DVP-C650D 5-disk cd/dvd player

Sony Trinitron 27" stereo tv

Toshiba hi-fi stereo vcr

Technics dual cassette deck

Scientific Atlanta Explorer 2100 digital cable box

Monster HTS1000 PowerCenter

Boa's Listenin Lounge:

Klipsch RF-3, RC-3

Monster MCX-1 Biwire

Sony STR-DE935 a/v receiver

Kenwood KR-9600 AM/FM stereo receiver (vintage 1975)

Russound AB-2 receiver switch to RF-3

Teac PD-D1200 5-disk cd changer

Technics SL-1950 turntable/AT LS500 cartridge

rock on!

I had a chance to listen to the RF7s as well. Used the exact same music that I auditioned my KLF30s with. The CD is "Jazz at the Pawnshop". Anyway, the detail, especally in the midrange is lacking in the RF7s. I listened to then for a good hour, using the same receiver I use, Denon AVR5800. The sound just isn't as live on the RF7s as on the KLF30s.

------------------

KLF-30 mains

KLF-C7 center

KLF-30 side surrounds

KG 3.5 rear surrounds

KSW200 subwoofer

Denon AVR5800

Pioneer Elite DV-09

Pioneer Elite PD-F19

RCA DTC100 DSS/HDTV

Sony Playstation 2

Denon MD1000

Vidikron Epoch D-600

Vutec 100" 4:3 1.5 gain

Don't forget that important but often overlooked components are room acoustics and speaker placement. When auditioning speakers in a showroom bring a recording you're very familiar with and ask the salesman to move the speakers out away from the walls in line with manufacturers recomendations and also position yourself a little further away from the speakers then they are apart. If they seem to be your cup of tea make sure you can audition them at home (the best test of all!). And return them for a refund if you don't like them. At home, try different positions and be aware of your room's absorbtion, reflection and diffusion properties (which can be adjusted for). A good speaker can sound like hell when not positioned correctly in the right environment!

HT-1 Klipsch Heritage System (music oriented)

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever changer is playing)

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface

Nirvis jukebox software (downloads net cd info, album covers& lyrics- programs & controls changers searchable for songs, artists, albums).

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Monster 5000 Power Center

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Sherwood HX-PRO dual cassette deck

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver (Dynaco inputs directly to amp section)

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

Cables: Onix , MSB, Monster, AR., Iced Purple, RS Gold

Monster Bi-wire speaker cables.(Khorns)

HT#2 Klipsch THX System (movie oriented)

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver (Dynaco inputs directly to amp section)

Monster 3000 Power Center

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD/ CD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation)

RS Gold , Monster, Iced Purple, AR Cables

I just listened to the RF-7's, the Martin Logan Ascen's, and a Mirage OM-9 in store. They were setup descently and the equipment used was a Yamaha receiver and cd changer (i don't know much about yamaha, but i've never heard that any of their components are great), but I liked the sound of the RF-7's and the Martin's. I thought both of them had very good clarity and imaging. The Martin's, and I think they're known for this, were excellent in presentation of voices. The Klipsch's were good in this area as well, but there was a difference between the two.

I don't know how good my observations because I haven't heard many different types of speakers. In fact, I'm just getting into HT, and the only speakers I've heard so far are the above mentioned and the Atlantic Technology 450 and 350 line.

Somehow I preferred the Rf-7's to the Martin's. I thought the Martin's were a little too harsh for me. The Klipsch's were easier to listen to.

Anyway, I'm going to go back to the store and try out some other stuff. Does anyone have recommendations for me? (the store has a bunch of other klipsch stuff) I saw that some of the above posters think that the "klf-30" model is even better than the RF-7's. I'll have to try those.

Btw, I will be listening to both music and watching movies, and I want a 5.1 setup.

I would like to try the Rotel RMB-1095. They make some really good stuff. ATI as well, reason for purchase. If I were rich enuff, I'd have em' all, but I'm not.

I did use an ADCOM-7300 with my 30's once. Was always clipping it. Nice amp tho. Suppose they are all good, just a matter of what one likes.

Have a great day, Ed

• 2 weeks later...

I almost went with the Adcom GTP750 and GFA7500 combo, after I sold off my old stereo and thanks to a few folks on the BB, the last component I kept was my Khorns(was going to go HT with a complete Legend package, rebuilding from 92, time for a change). Unfortunately I sold of my Adcom GFA-585 Limited Edition(beautiful amp).

I had read some test scores under various mag's that the 7300 and 7500 did not put out as Adcom had stated, but were "far" below standard! The killer was the ratings of the GTP750, which got bad reviews from every angle. I don't know about the new GTP 830 but hope it isn't plagued with the problems as the 750/760 have. I was going to get a "new" GTP600 for $200(demo) to switch from 2 channel(my beginnings of HT). I was using Adcom's ACE-515 Enhancer, GCD575, GTP500II, GFA-585 LE through a pair of Klipschorns and Hersey II's with the GFA-535. Ex got the Hersey's and Kenwood, I bought the Klipsch KG1 Sat speaker system with passive sub for the longest time under a Pioneer VSX-9900S Receiver.

I buried all, and went straight Adcom 2 channel and hooked my KG1's through the Adcom speaker selector box(forget model #, for 6 speakers) with the Khorns. I stored the Pioneer VSX9900S(actually sold it a few months ago) with Pioneer 650W dual tape and GR777 10 channel EQ(still have). I sold the KG1's, nice setup, a little odd for a match for Khorns though, 2 channel yes. I have full admiration for Adcom, awesome gear for what I had!

Polk was my next choice to Klipsch(the B&W booth scared everyone off), nice speakers.

Present is Marantz, and couldn't be happier!

Oiled Oak Kilpschorns(92, f)

La Scala's(00, rs, not finished yet)

Oiled Oak Hersey II's(01, s)

2-black KLFC7's(c, rc)

Subwoofer Christmas 2001, toss up, Klipsch, SVS, KEF

Adcom ACE515 Enhancer(conditioner\surge protection)

Marantz 6200 turntable(76)

Marantz SR18EX A\V Receiver

3-Marantz MA700 mono block amps(Khorns, C7 rc)

Marantz DV7100 Progressive Scan DVD

Marantz VM5100 SVHS hifi vcr

Marantz CD4050 dual cassette tape

Marantz DR4160 3 disk carousel and single tray CDR

Toshiba 50HX70 HDTV

DVDO Iscan V2 line doubler

IBM laptop with Klipsch Pro Media 2.1(Bose Killers)

ALL Monster cables............ Smile.gif

PS. Don't get me wrong, I LOVE ADCOM, should have kept what I had, but for now, I have just as much respect for Marantz....OH BABY!!...will always be open to Adcom...my first "high end" experience at "normal" prices!

Do I want wild looking\sounding Nautilus at 45K ea.......and I play hockey at 35K a shift or baseball at 50K a minute....imagine the true Klipsch speaker system you could have...OUCH Smile.gif

This message has been edited by boomer9911 on 09-08-2001 at 07:10 PM

Marantz SR18EX,great reciever.I almost purchased this unit,just the dealer had on display a Denon 5800 and I could not resist.

I dont even use the amps in the 5800!ATI 2505 takes the load and drives the speakers.Same deal with the 3801 it teamed with the ATI 1505.

I too had Adcom,great amps for a down to earth price.

After my Adcom was replaced by ATI.Now I have two,the 1505 and 2505.ATI is a bit like Adcom with even more tank like build.

I have a power amp fetish! LOL

I also have the Carver TFM-75,Celeste 4250,4150,4070 and MOON W5.And my crown jewel is the Krell FPB600,purchased this monster second hand.The owner found tubes were mor his liking and went with Audio Research.I dont need to tell you the FPB600 is on a short list of the world's best solid state amps.

Now I have an eye on the new BAT VK-6200 6 channel power amp!LOL

Electricity bills are heavy,and I am lucky I dont live in California or I would be broke.LOL

TheEAR(s) Now theears

Does anyone here see similarites between the Reference line and the Epic line? When the Epic line came out they were touted as having a very "sophisticated" sound, due in part to intricate components. More of an "audiophile" sound. Both are 2-way, appealing to the purists. I know the two are totally different designs, but we know what happened last time Klipsch went for the "audiophile" sound.

Tony

This message has been edited by Tony Reed on 09-10-2001 at 12:07 PM

Hi

Dont make the mistake of putting the RF-7,RF-5,RC-7

or the RS-7 in the same catagory as the RF-3 series

Its a totally different speaker.This IMOHO is the way

they stack up Legends vs Reference

Mains Center Surrounds

#1 RF-7 #1 RC-7 #1 RS-7

#2 RF-5 #2 KLF-C7 #2 KSPS-6

#3 KLF-30 #3 RC-3 #3 RC-3 only slightly

#4 KLF-20 Behind KSPS-6

#5 RF-3

#6 RB-5 MK II

#7 KLF-10

I know #6 and #7 will raise eyebrows but thats the way I see it or hear it

cwm30.gif

Klipsch designs great speakers,the RF series are the best Klipsch I heard so far.This more of an audiophile point of view here.

I like my RF-5's alot,when you have a great front end and a solid power amp like the Celeste 4250SE then you will know just how great the RF-5's are.

I find the RF-3's agressive!

The RF-5's are not agressive at all!

Cant wait for the RF-7's,the RF-5's will end up as sourrounds!

I will end up with an all Klipsch HT system.RC-7 will serve as ceneter.And two RSW subs will take care of the bass.

TheEAR(s) Now theears