O.T. / So what has made you feel your getting old lately?

mandi

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'm 44 next week. My only child turned 5 two weeks ago. When we go to one of her dance recitals, and the other kids moms are all far too young for me unless I had lots of money, I feel old.

When I hear songs on the "Visiting The Oldies" show on the radio that were popular when I was in high school.

Richard Pryor. George Carlin. Johnny Carson. Bill Cosby. Others I can't think of that have either died or are in bad health due to age that were in their prime when I was younger.

I wanna be the dog swimming in the water tower with the girls on Pettycoat Junction.

A few years ago my kid and I were out in front of a hotel with our golf clubs. Some jag walks by and says, "grandpa going to take you golfin' kid?" I reached for my sand wedge but thought better of it. If that wasn't bad enough, on the first hole my kid says, "nice drive grandpa!" One look from me and he made a run for the cart. He ran a lot that day, the little bugger! Yea, that started the feelin' old crap.

Yeah, but it's all relative DM.2.gif In 20 years I'll long for the days when I was a young man of 45. 10 years ago I couldn't believe I was in my mid-thirties already.

We were always the youngest couple at back-to-school night with my son since we were just out of college when he was born. Now HE'S graduating from college this year. THAT makes me feel old!6.gif

When I realize that most of the people I interact with on a daily basis were born after some of the most significant events of my life.

Watching John Glenn orbit the earth on a black and white TV in school back in 1961.

Duck and Cover drills in school.

Watching the Kennedy assasination coverage funeral on that same TV.

Richard Nixon's presidency.

Neil piloting the Eagle to Tranquility Base in July of 1969. Again, a black and white TV.

Kent State.

Martin Luther King.

Bobby Kennedy. He saw wrongs, and tried to right them.

Steal This Book.

We're Bigger than Jesus.

Most of the people I talk to these days only know of these events as pages in a history book. I was there. I find myself wondering how my grandfather felt about Kitty Hawk and the Great War. People who are less that 25 years old never new a world without personal computers, VCR's, cable TV. When was the ATM invented? What would we do without it today?

I am 50.

I have a 5 year old son.

I cannot imagine the world he will live in when he is 50.

Will I still be there?

If not, where will I be?

Questions like these seem to come more frequently these days.

----------------

On 3/27/2005 12:24:57 PM Myhamish wrote:

Every day is a gift - getting old is a privilege denied to many. Hamish

----------------

I'll agree with that Hamish... Seems the Chemo I had a while back has fried the nerve endings in my feet (neuropathy), making them quite unbearable without medication, BUT the alternative could have been worse :)

----------------

On 3/30/2005 5:15:07 PM mandi wrote:

I find that I am usually older than the parents of my highschool students but I have kids in gradeschool.

----------------

Where we now live the parents became parents when they were still kids.

Marvel