Members Weekly Music Recommendations-March 28

thebes

It's a new week and a new chance to add some great music to your collection, thanks to the continued contributions of your fellow forum members.

On ap ersonal note I should be having some interesting suggestions coming up over the next few weeks, having jsut been the recipient of my ex-wife's sister's entire lp collection. She was into 60's stuff, classical quitar, classical music, flamenco and jazz, so there should be something for everyone.

Format's simple, name of aritist/group, name of album, type of music (cd/lp etc.), and genre, rock classical, jazz etc. as best you can.

As usual I'll start it off with:

The Commodores "Live", lp, Soul.

I'm sure many of you may not be familiar with this group but in their 60's and 70's heyday, they were quite as well known and as popular as many groups. Their music is very similiar to the better known, Earth, Wind and Fire. A large group with plenty of flash and a very over-the-top stage presence. Rockin soul with a bit a lot of disco and some nice doowop thrown in. Recordings values are also good on this one.

So what do you have to share?

Lately, I've been branching out into much louder, much more aggresive, much heavier, and far angrier music. I suppose it has something to do with the things I'm going through. Maybe that's also the reason I'm getting more and more tattooes. Anyway, unless you're into "walls of noise," start reading from the post below mine.

Korn "Untouchables" and "Look in the Mirror" - Nu-Metal LP's.

Linkin Park "Reanimation" - Nu-Metal DVD-Audio.

Celtic Frost "Into the Therion" - Goth-Metal CD.

Tristania "Widow Weeds" - Goth-Metal CD.

Paradise Lost "Draconian Times" - Thrash-Metal CD.

Flames "Whoracle" - Death-Metal CD.

Anathema "A Fine Day To Exist" - Death-Metal CD

******and just to switch it up a tad******

Iron & Wine "Our Endless Numbered Days" - Indie-Rock LP.

Harry The Hipster Gibson; WHO PUT THE BENZEDRINE IN MRS. MURPHY'S OVALTINE?

TIME :

3:05

DATE :

February 8, 1946, Los Angels

PERSONNEL :

Harry "The Hipster" Gibson (p, vcl)

Zutty Singleton (ds)

Slim Gaillard (g)

Tiny "Bam" Brown (B)

CD :

HARRY "The Hipster" GIBSON - BOOGIE WOOGIE IN BLUE / MVSCD-63

LP :

NOTE :

Recorded at Radio Recorders, Los Angeles, CA

Three Dog Night - "Naturally". I actually bought this at a truck stop for $7.99 while taking the kids to see Grandma and Grandpa for spring Break last week. I'd run out of CDs I had brought for the trip and was desperate for something else.

In the 70's, I detested Three Dog Night and all their silly hits that you couldn't escape on the radio. But, those hits sound different in the context of this album--"One Man Band", "Liar", and "Joy to the World" are all great when heard with "I Can Hear You Calling", "Heavy Church", and "Fire Eater" among all the others. These guys didn't write many songs, but they sure knew how to pick them from then-unknown songwriters. A thouroughly enjoyable listen -- I'll buy the two albums before this after hearing this!

Luther Vandross: " Dance with my father", compact disc ( 2003 ), from J records,LLC. Genre is kind of a hybrid pop/r&b/jazz mix.

Overall, a very good mix, with plenty of bottom end. Other artists that appear with Luther in different tracks are: Foxy Brown, Busta Rhymes, Queen Latifa, Stevie Wonder, and Beyonce Knowles.

My favorite track off of the disc is #5, The closer I get to you, with Beyonce.

Now, this is something that I picked up on a whim tonight, and turned out to be pretty damn cool:

Enter By the Twelfth Gate by Michael Pinnella.

B00031R810.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

Michael Pinnella was/is the keyboardist for Symphony X, and this is his first solo effort.

This all electronic/synthisizer music is mostly progressive, with some classical elements. This is not techno by any stretch of the imagination.

A very interesting disk to listen to here.

----------------

On 3/28/2005 9:33:44 PM nicholtl wrote:

Anyway, unless you're into "walls of noise," start reading from the post below mine.

----------------

Good Lord! Tell me about it! Nothing wrong with leting'er rip every now and again. I do much the same thing myself! 11.gif

----------------

Korn "Untouchables" and "Look in the Mirror" - Nu-Metal LP's.

Linkin Park "Reanimation" - Nu-Metal DVD-Audio.

----------------

Never got into the Nu-Metal stuff. I've listened to the Korn, and thought it was okay, but not enough to want me to run out and buy their CD

I do, however, have a copy of Linkin Park album. Listened to it once or twice, and there it sat from then on. I guess the radio killed them for me. Ahh well, I guess I am still stuck into that good'ol "old school" stuff, such as that put out by Pink Cream 69!

----------------

Tristania "Widow Weeds" - Goth-Metal CD.

----------------

I was just checking these guys out. Sounds very much like Theatre of Tragedy. However, never did care much for the grunting/growling on some of the tracks. Still, some pretty cool stuff there. May have to consider picking this one up (as well as some of thier other albums).

Oh yeah, nothing like throwing up a wall of sound every now and again! 9.gif

Steve, that's awesome! Didn't know there were too many other rockers out there on these forums! And the fact you've heard of some of those bands, wow! I agree with the Linkin Park thing...too much airplay and all... Not sure which album you have, "Hybrid Theory" or "Meteora" (which is much better), but try giving it another listen next time you feel angry or misunderstood. It might strike a chord. =)

----------------

On 3/31/2005 4:03:51 AM nicholtl wrote:

Steve, that's awesome! Didn't know there were too many other rockers out there on these forums! And the fact you've heard of some of those bands, wow!

----------------

Ohhh, if you only knew! I listen to, and have a lot of, power/prog metal in my collection. Bands such as Sonata Arctica, Nightwish, Stratovarius, Symphony X, Dream Theater, Fates Warning, Iron Maiden, Therion, Rhapsody, Hammerfall, Kamelot, and the list goes on!

In fact, I'll be seeing Sonata Arctica live in two weekes (on the 13th). And on top of that, I am going to try to score some tickets to ProgPower VI in Atlanta (tickets on sale this Sat 2nd April, but show is not until September 16th and 17th)!

I'll be bringing some of this stuff with me in June for the "Pilgrimage".

----------------

I agree with the Linkin Park thing...too much airplay and all... Not sure which album you have, "Hybrid Theory" or "Meteora" (which is much better), but try giving it another listen next time you feel angry or misunderstood. It might strike a chord. =)

----------------

I have both Hybrid Theory and Meteora. I've not listened to them recently. I may go and throw it back in and give it another spin. However, it is not often I find myself angry or misunderstood, though (which I guess is a good thing 1.gif )

Steven you might wanna check out the new Guitar World with Jimmy Page on the cover. There's a big article on power metal that you may find interesting. They talk about this new trend of bands that emulate uber-traditional metal bands such as Manowar but they also touch a lot on all those bands you talk about like Nightwish.

Vangelis-Soundtrack to Antarctica. Chilled-out electronic music. CD. 1983. I like this soundtrack by Vangelis almost as much as Blade Runner. Very soothing with a touch of a symphonic feel which is pretty typical for Vangelis. I've actually never even seen the movie so maybe I should check it out.

Beck-Guero. Uhhhh...it's Beck so it's gonna be pretty eclectic. Everyone said that this was going to be a back-to-the-Odelay album-sounding record and that's what it is. Working with the Dust Brothers again was a good sign. They've produced several spectacular albums but unfortunately they suffer from the "Boston syndrome" meaning their albums are far and few between. They've produced the Beastie Boys' Paul's Boutique, the Fight Club soundtrack, Beck's Odelay and little else. I bought the deluxe cd & dvd version but I've yet to listen to the surround/dvd version. The album is good and fun. 2005. Eclectic/alternative rock.

I've also been listening to tons of instrumental "shred" guitar stuff like Yngwie Malmsteen's first album Rising Force, Vinnie Moore-Time Odyssey and Mind's Eye, Tony MacAlpine-Edge Of Insanity & Maximum Security and various other guys on Shrapnel Records from the mid 80's. Mix of vinyl and cd most of which sound pretty lame except for the few major label releases like Vinnie Moore's Time Odyssey which is pretty decent. Yngwie's records have always sounding like a fresh turd no matter what label released them.

Here's a couple that never seem to get too far from my player(s).......

Live Trout by Walter Trout and the Free Radicals (Disc 1 or 2)...........if you like blues and guitar, this man is a beast.........

Dark Road by Cathy Lemons...................an amazing female blues singer.....

You Better Keep Still by T Model Ford...............a voice you will not forget.............once again, blues.......

Center Stage by The Ford Brothers............Mark Ford is probably the best blues harmonica player in the world today.......

If you can, check these out, ......they are worth the effort.

----------------

On 3/31/2005 10:02:28 PM synthfreek wrote:

I've also been listening to tons of instrumental "shred" guitar stuff like Yngwie Malmsteen's first album Rising Force, Vinnie Moore-Time Odyssey and Mind's Eye, Tony MacAlpine-Edge Of Insanity & Maximum Security and various other guys on Shrapnel Records from the mid 80's. Mix of vinyl and cd most of which sound pretty lame except for the few major label releases like Vinnie Moore's Time Odyssey which is pretty decent. Yngwie's records have always sounding like a fresh turd no matter what label released them.

----------------

If you have not already, you gotta check out Derek Sherinian's Black Utopia. Combine electronic/synthesizers with some serious guitar shredding! It is all instrumental - no vocals. Un-friggan-believable!

Also, thanks on the Guitar World tip. I'll go check it out, since I do need to hit up the bookstore tommorrow after work anyway.

B00008UVD4.01._SCLZZZZZZZ_.jpg

What genre would this Derek Sherinian be under? Rock? Industrial? Goth? I ask because I might go pick up a copy to check it out, but the music store I go to has every genre separated into it's own section it's almost impossible to find anything unless I know exactly what it's category is!

----------------

On 4/1/2005 12:41:56 AM nicholtl wrote:

What genre would this Derek Sherinian be under? Rock? Industrial? Goth? I ask because I might go pick up a copy to check it out, but the music store I go to has every genre separated into it's own section it's almost impossible to find anything unless I know exactly what it's category is!

----------------

It is definitly rock/metal. I would say more progressive than anything. The CD does feature the likes of Yngwie Malmsteen and Zack Wylde on the guitars (Derek is a keyboardist). Thus, a lot of power metal influence in it.