Heresy Rear Surround Suggestions

tonygeno

I have 5 Heresys in a 5.1 arrangement and would like to add two rear speakers for 7.1. I understand that 2 more Heresys would be ideal, but my chairs are about 4 feet out from the back wall in an 18 foot long room, and frankly, 2 more Heresys in the rear would not work (the side Heresys are laying on their side and are on bookcases about 6.5 feet high). My rear wall simply will not accomodate 2 more Heresys. Given that the rear surrounds are mainly going to provide ambience and more of an enveloping sound compared to a 5 channel system, can anyone recommend any non-Heritage speakers that will work with the 5 Heresys and be more easily accomodated on the rear wall? I understand that a perfect timbre match is impossible, but feel that the benefits of 7.1 (even without matching rears) are superior to a 5 channel system. Any thoughts?

KG1's! They are sealed, not ported and sound fabulous and would blend with the Heresy's. However, there is more content back there than you think so other choices that would work and match your theme are:

KG 1.2's, 1.5's, 2's, 2.2's, 2.5's all of these are incredible little speakers and would sound great with the Heresy's. They can be found in finishes to match the Heresy's and all are veneered in real wood. No plastic here folks!

I use KG 2.5 surrounds with Forte II fronts and have no complaints. They are rear ported. The KG 1 is sealed so that gives you the option to mount them flush with the wall. Either one would be a good chioce if absolute timbre matching is not a necessity.

----------------

On 3/29/2005 5:52:14 PM rplace wrote:

No WAF even if they look like this???

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/heresy%20in%20roof.jpg">

Since you already have 5 I think you should at least exhaust all possibilities of getting 7 Heresies before you give up.

----------------

I could do a similar thing, except half the speaker would be sticking out of my cathedral ceiling to the outside. Would that be a problem?

TonyGeno, A little tar paper, shingles...maybe some duct tape for good measure and you are all set. You are on the inside - who cares what the outside looks like.

Seriously, any chance to recess the Heresies a little into the back wall so they are not sticking out so far? I just think having every speaker is a worthy goal and you are so close.

"you use RS-3II's in the rear with that killer front soundstage - how sad.  Man, why not Heresy's?"

Because the RS-3IIs give a better surround effect to a wider group of seats then a direct radiator would in my room. I have two rows of seats I need to get good coverage to, the RS-3II gives me that. From the testing I did with direct radiators in that room they didn't give good enough coverage. I'd be missing out with something like a Heresy. The thing the RS-3IIs don't do is deep bass, which is easily solved by crossing them over. I cross them fourth order at 80hz and they handle that fine to well over THX Reference level.

" You don't know what you are missing!  There is alot more content back there than people think."

I know exactly what is in the back, I've been using a 7 speaker setup (and true 7 channel surround processing.. something most have only gotten in the last year or two with DPLIIx) for around 7 years. And have done so with a variety of different surround speakers... including mono-poles, di-poles and bi-poles.

Shawn

----------------

On 3/30/2005 7:43:08 AM sfogg wrote:

" You don't know what you are missing! There is alot more content back there than people think."

I know exactly what is in the back, I've been using a 7 speaker setup (and true 7 channel surround processing.. something most have only gotten in the last year or two with DPLIIx) for around 7 years. And have done so with a variety of different surround speakers... including mono-poles, di-poles and bi-poles.

Shawn

----------------

Shawn,

For 7 channel sound, then, you don't notice any "timbre" differences on movies and music? I wouldn't think so, but just checking. Thanks.

I would have used two pair of KG1's and offset them each at a 45 degree angle before using a reference series speaker with the Heritage big boys up front.

I would think that the RS-3II is way to wimpy for the rest of your system, but hey if you are happy with the performance that they provide and it works for you that is all that really matters.

After having my '62 vertical Cornwalls in that role there is no way I could go with anything smaller. I just cannot imagine an RS-3II outperforming a Cornwall regardless of dispersion characteristics. However, kind of tough to put a Cornwall on a wall sideways.

Each room and system is unique so different strokes for different folks.

Tony,

Nope, they match up well. I was a little skeptical about them but after trying them I was pleasantly suprised.

Remember though that my 'LaScala's aren't really even Klipsch anymore... they are a combo of Klipsch and Altec with custom crossovers.

Shawn

"  I just cannot imagine an RS-3II outperforming a Cornwall regardless of dispersion characteristics."

If you can't get coverage to all listening positions I can see a smaller speaker outperforming a larger speaker easily. Not hard to do when some people literally aren't in the coverage of one speaker compared to another.

No doubt something like a Cornwall would offer far more bass output.. which can be a good thing directly to the sides of the listener for spatial perception of bass.

But in my room I don't really have room for anything that large off to the sides of the listener while giving it enough distance away from the listener to get good coverage over both rows. And I've found over the years of trying different types of surround speakers that I tend to prefer side speakers with bi-polar (or close to that) dispersion. Just seems to make a more seamless surround effect without calling attention to itself IMO.

Shawn