Onkyo TX-4500 vs HK 630?

flegz

Hey I'm a NEW-B.....Anyone have experience with both

I have a mint Onkyo TX-4500 and really like it. I just purchased a pair of Heresy's on Ebay and had planned to use the onkyo to power them. I was just given an HK 630 from my father, he found it at a garage sale in Vermont for $5!! It is in excellent shape, but I didn't think it would be as good as the Onkyo...I'll have to a/b em when the Heresy's arrive....Will it have enough power to satisfy ther Heresy's?

Flegz

1.gif

I have the Onkyo TX-4500 MKII and it drives two pair of Cornwalls in a huge space. I use it as a PA system. Seriously, that amp has some meat to it. I like the sound of those old Onkyos too. It has a great loudness contour.

I just bought a 430 for my son's Heresys and it rocks em.

Either one will be great. Lucky you on the 630 deal. Both of those amps sound great. My guess is that you will end up using the H/K 630. I think you'll like it.

welcome to the forum!

Forrest

----------------

On 3/30/2005 5:05:44 PM flegz wrote:

I really like the tuner on the Onkyo....Maybe I'll just use it for that and power the Heresy's with the h/k....or

Maybe I'll power some subs with the Onkyo.....
3.gif

----------------

If the H/K 630 is in good shape, its tuner section will blow the Onkyo's away. The Onkyo *is* a good unit, but my son's H/K 430 bests it in every way for Heresys.

You should probably give the 630 a good cleaning too!

For excellent advice on how to do just that, use the search feature and look for

'H/K 730 or 930'

or go to this thread:

http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/view.asp?topicID=50495&forumID=68&catID=19&search=1&searchstring=&sessionID={E8388EF0-9790-4446-99F8-055780FF7C1F}

I'm seriously thinking about getting a H/K 930 for powering the 4 Cornwalls I use as a P.A. That unit has a lot of flexibility.

Forrest

jUST A/B'd the Onkyo TX-4500 and HK 630. As much as I love my precious Onk.......The HK 630 Smoked it! Big tight bass and smoother mid and high end. The Onkyo Tuner is very close but again the HK 630 seemed superior!

I used both to fire up the Heresy I's that arrived yesterday!! What a treat! I love these speakers. If I hadn't already purchased a Dynakit ST-70 I may well have been satisfied with the HK 630. I am getting ready to send it out alonf with a PAS2 for a total rehab to Bill Bittle ( http://home.alltel.net/wbittle1 ) I'm really psyched to have him work on these. He seems to have such a passion for Tube Gear, and tons of experience. I'm confident he'll make those babies sing!!

Will I notice a big difference between the HK 630 & Tube Amp? I have not heard a tube amp system for at least 12-15 years....!

Can't Wait!

Proud to now be a klipschead

16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif16.gif

Yes, you will hear a difference with tubes, but with the speakers and the quality amps, it's going to take bigger bucks to make more and more marginal improvements.

I love my Onkyo too... it really looks very 'classic' and imposing. The loudness contour is sweet, but like you discovered, my itty bitty Harman Kardon 430 did it in.

I'll be interested in hearing your take on the tubes once you have them in place. of course, you can certainly use the tuner from the Onkyo or the 630.

If I could have done anything differently in the beginning of my Klipsch audio quest, it would have involved more patience and listening to what folks here had to say about what works and what doesn't.

They really know how to spend other folk's money very well!

9.gif

peace,

Forrest