Aloha Cornwall IIs

DizRotus

It's difficult to see from the photo, but they are IIs from 85 or later. They do not have the metal EV tweeters. The plastic horns are flush mounted on the motorboard. They are recessed into the acoustical tile, i.e, they appear to be thinner.

It was gratifying to see that the Director of Bands, Grant Okamura, chose speakers that are twenty years old and out of production for the band practice room. Obviously, he chose them because of their ability to accurately reproduce the recordings of their practices. A single microphone hangs from the ceiling approximately 10 feet in front of each speaker. Unfortunately, I was unable to find out about the rest of the sytem, or to hear them in operation. Grant is a trumpeter, so we know he likes horns.

Since creating this post, Ive exchanged emails with Grant Okamura. The Cornwalls are recessed into the acoustical tile. Look closely at the gap in the tile around the riser on the left. It is easier to cut acoustical tile than to saw plywood. What you see through the ports is the unfinished wood. The view through the ports of my Cornwalls is the same, and I assure you that they have not been sawed rip-style.

<?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Ive attached part of the response from Dr. Okamura (typos intact). It should be interesting and it might help to persuade you that no one was stupid enough to cut the speakers rather than cut the tile to fit the speakers.

The Klipsch Cornwalls don't sound very good in that configuration. Our AV guy just went in and placed them up there and I wished he had consulted with me before doing it. I've spent years as an audio consultant and have designed speakers and used to do modifications to amps and stuff. Have not done the amps stuff recently and advances in amp design has left me behind. I love tube amps and there are only a few transistor amps that I think are ok. But I still do a lot of audio work. The Cornwalls don't work very well in its present location. The tweeter and midrange fire way over the heads of the students and they sound their best standing in the percussion section. They are spaced too far apart for good imaging. Because its on the balcony face the surface area does not give enough reinforcement to the bass and they sounds really thin. On my equipment it has a roll off around 110 so it sounds more like a midrange speaker. I sometimes bring it a subwoofer that I designed and it sounds much better. We have another set of Cornwalls in a different room and it sounds very good there. It has a very exciting sound with a bit of resonances here and there but they seem pretty controlled.

The solid surface to which the speakers are attached is several inches behind the surface of the acoustical tile, i.e., the need to cut openings in the tile the shape of the speakers. The tile would never support the weight of the Cornwalls.