HELP ME with Harshness!!!

jason577

thanks for the 'backup' basevedo, i feel strongly about this particular recommendation, still waiting to 'hear' from jason...avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

sony strda-777ES receiver

NEW! sony playstation 2!

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

surrounds and a 'teens sub coming!

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

• 3 weeks later...

Thanks for everyone's help and I am sorry I have not had an update. I've been very busy lately and have not had the time to deal with this problem

I tried every setting combination with the DVD player and receiver and still no change.

Then it dawned on me that my room acoustics are horrible. The walls are sheetrock and are painted with a semi-glossy paint. They are very reflective and if I snap my fingers or clap I can hear a wicked echo that is painfull to the ears. I have only been in this apartment for a few months, and never noticed it before.

I am farily certain that this is the main problem. Hopefully, when time and money permits, I can begin experimenting with sound dampening.

Does anyone have suggestions for inexpensive, yet effective dampening materials? I have seen professional studio foam, but it's on the expensive side, would egg crate foam suffice?

Thanks again for everyone's help!

try to determine where the sound reflects in your room. try allowing for some 'early' reflection, but little or no 'late'. the side walls and BACK wall should be your first areas to address. if you have windows, try a drape/blanket over them. let us know! when i first got my 30's, i set them up in a room at work. when i 'leaned' on the volume hard, the reflections in the room made them unbearable! once i got them home, AND got the toe in/out set, they really sound great!!! bumped the bass a bit also. avman.

------------------

1-pair klf 30's

c-7 center

ksps-6 surrounds

sony strda-777ES receiver

sony playstation 2

dishnetwork model 7200 dishplayer satellite receiver/digital bitstream recorder

pioneer dvd player

sharp 35"tv

panamax max dbs+5 surge protector/power conditioner

monster cable interconnects/12 gua.speaker wire

a 'teens' sub coming!(RSW-15 LOOKIN'GOOD!)

KLIPSCH-So Good It Hz!

I am surprised to hear that a DVD player would not sound as good as a dedicated CD player for music. I had not owned a DVD player until about one month ago, when my Adcom GCD-200 popped a belt and the door would not open. Since my local Blockbuster has converted about half the store to DVD's, I replaced my Adcom with a Marantz DV4200. I found no discernable difference between the sound of the Adcom and the Marantz when playing an audio CD...not that I was surprised. Although since the Adcom was made in 1985, I thought perhaps the advances in technology may have made some difference. But it is a digital source - how much difference would there likely to have been?

Nortynorty CD sound quality did move forward.

The quality of the decoders and analog gain stages has improved the overall sound quality.

I found after I compared my old Denon 3250 to the Pioneer AX10 and Sony SCD-1 the two newer CD players had more detail,more airy presentation.The detail and the natural is better now then it was before.

The first CD players and CD's were almost all agressive,very didital I would say.

The latest CD players and some very High-End CD transports with D/A converters can give you a sound free from any edgy electronic glare.For this you have to often pay the BIG bucks.

Rotel makes a superb CD player the 991(if I remember) that costs less then $2000 and sound more like a $5000 CD player or even like some separates!Impressive.

To hear the sound quality improve you have to have a very transparent preamp,amp and very revealing speakers.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

• 21 years later...