i know i need 2 front speakers 2 rear speakers

one center channel and 1 sub

what kind of speakers do i need for each set

like with the rearfill is it like car audio where it should barely be heard

also what r some good speakers brands and recievers

looking to do everything for 1000 dollars

thanks

"E",

First of all, are you looking to build a home theater or home stereo? Secondly, $1000 isn't going to realy get you much. For $1000, your going to have to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and find something there...

Sorry, but $1000 won't even get you stared while browsing a site like this...

------------------

wired1@ameritech.net

ok home stereo system

the 1000 is for all 5 speakers and maybe a reciever

i will buy tv, and everything else separate

um this is just my opening price it will most likly go way over

can u answer some off my other questions

like what kind of speakers should u have up front in back

should u use tower, bookself or one of the other kinds

also what to look for in a reciever

quote:

Originally posted by wired1:

"E",

First of all, are you looking to build a home theater or home stereo? Secondly, $1000 isn't going to realy get you much. For $1000, your going to have to go to Best Buy or Circuit City and find something there...

Sorry, but $1000 won't even get you stared while browsing a site like this...

Don't give up to fast

Lets see, what you can do is shop around. I guess you can tell that we are die hard Klipsch fans. I have listened to a lot of speakers in my life, hands down I will never own anything else.

Now about price--surf the net and become knowledgable about the equipment and what it costs. Then shop around local stores and feel out the salespeople. You don't have to get cutting edge technology, get last years model that is being discontinued (find out when the new model are coming out--sales will be just before this).

Pay attention to the features that will be important to you, no need to buy stuff you don't need. Same thing with speakers. Got my KSF 8.5's form Sound Advice for $300 a pair--nice price. And don't forget the used market, many people are very happy with thier used Klipsch's.

Best part is that you can upgrade as you go. And the pace that technology is changing--WOW, not such a bad plan!

Enjoy, and welcome abord!

What sent you to Klipsch, im kinda courious!!

Keep your eye on E-Bay and U-Bid, you can save a lot of money, on the same quality as we have here!!

Ill start you off with a set of black quintets brand new, only 2 months old, with original box, papers, for $75.00, plus shipping!!!

I havent even sent the warranty card in!!

Regards Jim

$1000. could get one started on a quality stereo which could be expanded into a Home Theater. For example the Outlaw 1050 6.1 Receiver $499. @ www.outlawaudio.com) plus a pair of used Klipsch Heresys off of ebay or a new pair of New Klipsch Synergy Towers or a New pair of Klipsch Reference RS-3 surrounds could provide good music off of the FM radio. Add good DVD/CD player later for recordings -then get TV with video inputs for great simulated 3-channel stereo TV and DVDs. Then add better main speakers and relegate first purchase to surround duty, then add center channel and finally rear channel. A great Home Theater on a budget over time with new excitement at ever turn!

HT-1 Klipsch Heritage System (music oriented)

Klipschorns w/ ALK crossover upgrades

4 Klipsch LaScalas (surround & rears)

Heresy components in custom cabinet /monitor stand (center)

Panasonic 32 Monitor W/ component video input

3 Sony CX400 CD changers

Sony CX-200 CD Changer

MSB Technology Digital Director w/ jitter reduction

Nirvis DXS digital controller (auto selection of whatever changer is playing)

Nirvis Slink-e computer interface

Nirvis jukebox software (downloads net cd info, album covers& lyrics- programs & controls changers searchable for songs, artists, albums).

Nirvis CDJ (CD Jukebox Software)

Monster 5000 Power Center

Sony Viao Laptop Computer

Sony S530D DVD Player

Sony 798HF VCR

Sony XA1ES CD player

Sherwood HX-PRO dual cassette deck

Dynaco PAS4 stereo preamp W/ Tesla Tube upgrades (also outputs to HT2)

Technics SL3300 DD Turntable w/ Shure cartridges

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver (Dynaco inputs directly to amp section)

Perpetual Technologies P1A Digital Correction Engine (jitter reduction, 16 to 24 bit conversion, future speaker frequency correction, and room acoustic correction )

Perpetual Technologies P3A DAC ( plus 44.1k to 96k CD upsampling)

Klipsch KSW-15 sub (for DVD LFEs )

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Phillips Pronto TS2000 Programmable Remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 computerized lighting controls

Radio Shack Wireless Remote Control Extender

Cables: Onix , MSB, Monster, AR., Iced Purple, RS Gold

Monster Bi-wire speaker cables.(Khorns)

HT#2 Klipsch THX System (movie oriented)

4 Klipsch KT-LCR THX Speakers

4 Klipsch RS-3s (side & rear surround)

2 Klipsch KT-DS THX Surrounds

10 Linaem Tweeters

Outlaw 1050 6.1 A/V Receiver (Dynaco inputs directly to amp section)

Monster 3000 Power Center

Sony X111 ES CD Player

Sony 775HF VCR

Sony STR-G3 (supplemental amplification for extra speakers)

Toshiba 61 High Definition TV

Sony NS700 Progressive Scan DVD

Toshiba 4205 DVD/ CD Changer

Klipsch SW-12II Sub

Klipsch LF-10 sub

Sony AV2100 remote

Scientific American Explorer 2000 Home Communications Terminal

X10 Computerized Lighting

Vibrapods (vibration isolation)

RS Gold , Monster, Iced Purple, AR Cables

ok heres what i got dvd tv and vcr

what i wanna know is what other componets i need

like what type of front speakers do u use tower r bookself

same for rear what kind also in car audio rear fill is supposed to be very low is it the same in home

and what to look for in a reciever

also on the sub i was ganna get an adireaudio tempest 15 inch subwoofer it has dual 8 ohm v coils and needs a good 300 -400 watts so what r some good amps

i really am an avid ubid and ebay user and used would be cool

so right now im looking for info not really brands and i was recommended here by a friend because of the knowledge of the forum members

E - Floorstanding or bookshelf depends on how much room you have, to me. I use my system in a dedicated media room, for both music and theater. I read once that a great music system will also do well for theater, but not always vice-verse.

If you've got the floor space, I'd go for the baddest floor standers you can fit. To quote another bb'er, nothing succeeds like excess. I don't like to be left wishing I had bought something else.

That said, you'll get the biggest bang for your buck with used off Ebay/Audiogon (www.audiogon.com) or sometimes some clearance stuff from Ubid. The Klipsch KG series are some very nice floor models that appear often on Ebay fairly inexpensively. Check the Klipsch page under Home Audio, Classics for more info. A used Synergy floor model would also be nice, and fit in your budget.

For rear, if you're going to do a lot of 5-channel music listening (like with DTS/DVD-A/5 channel stereo), you'll want a fairly good direct-radiating speaker. If mostly theater, get something like the SS-1 or RS-3. Rear channels are pretty heavily used in theater.

I'm just throwing some general info at you. Naturally, we can fine tune all this as you begin your search and become more familiar with your options.

DD2

quote:

Originally posted by e_atatah:

same for rear what kind also in car audio rear fill is supposed to be very low is it the same in home

and what to look for in a reciever

also on the sub i was ganna get an adireaudio tempest 15 inch subwoofer it has dual 8 ohm v coils and needs a good 300 -400 watts so what r some good amps

Humm ok here goes on top of everything people have said I will fill in some more information for ya. I agree about the tower speaker statement but you could get by with some smaller bookshelf type with that monster sub.

Usally in a home theater the rear channels are made for directional cues and what I will call filler noises. The older dolby surround sound specs did not call for an amp to provide equal power to the rear speakers. The 5.1 specs do call for the amp to provide the same power to the rear. The reason is that a lot of the directional cues are loud like tanks gunshoots etc. I would say the rear speakers are much more important in home theater than in car audio.

As far as receivers go if it does DTS and DD decoding then the main features to concern yourself with (in the price range you are going to be looking in) would be the RMS power per channel and bass management. The Outlaw is a good unit and you can use those features as a starting point. You can probably get by with a cheaper receiver if you do not care about the amount of digital inputs and outputs, s-video and composite video switching and converting.

To power your sub you can get an older power amp. Sometimes on ebay you can pick up steals. I have seen beast amps like my Hafler go for 200-300 on ebay. You will want a high quality amp to drive the sub otherwise the amp will clip and make it easy to fry the voice coil. This would be very bad.

That is it I guess. Let us know what you find, we can certainly offer opinions on it.

EDIT - If you want to drive up to Dallas I can make you a smokin' deal on my RF-3's or the entire R*3 system. Let me know...(yes sick I know but I need those Heresy's baby :-) I may be convinced to let my old HK AVR 20MKII dolby surround sound (NOT digital 5.1) amp go also.

Laters,cwm9.gif

------------------

FOR SALE OR TRADE COMPLETE R*3 SYSTEM FOR 3 HERESY'S

Main System -

Cornwalls (L/R main)

RC-3

RS-3's (white)

SVS 20-39CS

Harman Kardon AVR 510

Hafler P505 (running sub)

ProMedia 4.2 v400 for PC

This message has been edited by eq_shadimar on 08-28-2001 at 05:25 PM