Discount, what can you expect???

bikendad

I'm planning on buying a RF35 HT complete system with a Denon 2105 or 2805. With a lot of pushing, the dealer agreed to 15% off the complete purchase. I told him I would let him know. I have heard that 20 and 25% discounts are possible, is this what I should expect to get?

Roughly 20% is the figure that you should expect. 25% is something you can get off really cooperative dealers who are smart enough to realize you'll come back and bring friends. 15% is the "industry standard" discount that you're given when the dealer is trying to squeeze you for money... without being a total ******* about it.

I have been able to get 25-40% from a VERY good local dealer. Got my RF-25 mains at the good end of that range! I have been loyal to them, and have bought four pairs of Klipsch speakers and one Klipsch sub from them, and gladly send everyone I can find in to them. Great prices, great friendly service.9.gif

Be advised that dealers do not like to be played against each other. The higher end of the discounts usually happen after you become a regular customer.

There is a fine art to negotiating IMO. Try a weekday when things are slow. Try the end of the month when sales quotas need to be met; it may also help.

Bill

Also, a lot depends on how you are paying. If you are financing thru the dealer, they tend not to offer discounts (especially if they are offering a good interest rate). Credit cards have fees attached. Cash tends to work best. I usually make on offer with taxes included. A discount of 20% is not unreasonable.

Good luck.

After being in sales for most of my adult life I can add a few things to consider. Regardless of what most advisors, sales people will tell you, the person helping you is on some form of a commission. It may be in the form of an hourly wage or salary but most always with a spiff for selling more items as incentive to move product. Sales people and stores in general want that instant gratification of a sale "right now", not in the future. With that in mind when I want to purchase larger ticket items I use the "what is your best out the door price today?" approach and be prepared to walk the walk and purchase if the price is right. The price quoted must be understood to include taxes or any other things i.e. delivery, etc. Also, once you have established a discount, also consider that the store is more apt to give you merchandise such as cables, accessories, free delivery etc. than to take off more money. As we all are finding out, the world of hardgoods has become so competitive that the position of power has shifted heavily in favor of the consumer with some disposable income. Good luck

• 2 years later...

Don't be rude..............If I'm not happy with price I just walk away, they usually follow you, changing their price....Money Talks, but there again, at my age they know I'm not kidding.........20% is a very fair starting point........if they think your serious, and just not window shopping they tend to give in.

Don't be rude..............If I'm not happy with price I just walk away, they usually follow you, changing their price....Money Talks, but there again, at my age they know I'm not kidding.........20% is a very fair starting point........if they think your serious, and just not window shopping they tend to give in.

hmm.. so it always helps to catch hold of some loyal customer and then follow up right?

pav, not really sure what you mean.............I think there is always a store mark-up on product, so they can come down. Every store is different, but you can usually get the price down.........Most of the time, I find the best prices online, believe it or not....like vanns, some of their prices are low enough to satisfy me, so I don't need to talk them down. Both times I have bought new klipsch speakers, I have never paid list, never, and one place Clarks Music, I made an offer, they said NO, but would give me speaker wire, I said No, I'll buy my own wire, walked out the door, and before I started my car, the salesman was there, stating I could have them for the price I offered if I took them right now, I did.....I was there to BUY, not window shopping, they knew it......

• Moderators

Roughly 20% is the figure that you should expect. 25% is something you can get off really cooperative dealers who are smart enough to realize you'll come back and bring friends. 15% is the "industry standard" discount that you're given when the dealer is trying to squeeze you for money... without being a total ******* about it.

Is the percentage off the MSRP or what they are currently asking for their speakers? I was quoted $490each for the RF-82's. That is basically MSRP pricing. What would be a good price to offer the dealer?