Which Scott/Eico Vintage Tube Tuners are worth owning?

No Disc

I used to have a Scott 350-B. It was not quite as sensitive as the 10-B, didn't have interstation muting, and didn't sound quite as good. But it was very, very close - certainly better than the 1 tenth the price of the Marantz.

There are other Scott tuners which are even better.

In the Vacuum Tube Valley tube tuner shootout held a few years ago now, I don't recall the Scott tuners faring well. I've got a copy of the issue down in my garage somewhere, so going from memory. No Eico's were tested.

The Fisher 100 and McIntosh MR-67 scored well, with the 10B on top.

A Scott 310E or 4310 will blow just about anything out there right out of the water. Includung the Marantz or McIntosh tuners. The problem with many people reviewing old tube tuners is just how well they work depends on there electrical condition. The years are not very kind to these old beast. EICO tuners suck wind.

Craig

• Like 1

I would add, that none of the tuners at the VTV shooutout were tweaked. So it is dubious wether they were at maximum performance. As Craig says, at this point with 40 year old tuners, they are likely in need of major overhaul.

You may try posting your question on the Yahoo FM tuner forum (www.fmtunerinfo.com) ... though, the bias there is towards '70s vintage Japanese solid-state tuners like Kenwood.

As for Eico .. never seen a kind word in regards to an Eico tuner. I use a McIntosh MR-67 myself, which I truly adore.

At this point it's just a thought. For as the very few hours I am able to get in front of the 2-channel setup, it's probably just not worth it.

I did manage to find some resources on Scott tuners and I also thank all for your feedback.

No Disc

----------------

On 4/15/2005 5:48:50 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

My question relates to FM programming these days. There is a dearth of uncompressed, high quality programming anymore.

Sadly, my XM Radio gets the most exercise these days simply because it's commercial free for the most part.

How far we've retreated from the good old days.

----------------

----------------

On 4/15/2005 5:48:50 AM Chris Robinson wrote:

My question relates to FM programming these days. There is a dearth of uncompressed, high quality programming anymore.

Sadly, my XM Radio gets the most exercise these days simply because it's commercial free for the most part.

How far we've retreated from the good old days.

----------------

I would be even be fine with compressed mid-fi quality programming if it werent the crap that most radio stations play nowadays. (I sound like an old fart!)

No really... about 3 to 5 years ago everything seems to have gone to crap... Most of the stations sound the same now adays... all Clearchannel and Infinity broadcasting.... all pre-recorded and the same playlists.

It wouldn't be so bad if they didn't have the inane banter and puerile chat in the mornings and afternoons. It seems that EVERYONE is a shock jock nowadays. Fortunately, there are still about 3 decent stations around south Florida.

I once thought about buying a Magnum Dynalab, and then realized that there is nothing but crap to listen to on the radio.

Good point.

Investing $$$ in a good tuner is only worth if:

1) You have good programming in your area

2) The audio quality is good (minimal compression)

I can access 3 really good NPR stations, 2 Canadian CBC stations and one local college radio station (for some shows) that have programming I like and that sound good.

So that is 6 out of some 60 channels, which I guess is better than most people. I feel I'm getting my money's worth from my MR-67, if I lived elsewhere, maybe not.

• 15 years later...

Hi, I am new to this forum.  I came across this thread while doing research on the Scott 310-E.  I listened last night to a stock but recently serviced 310-E and an Eico Classic Series 2200.  With appropriate modifications, the 2200 sounds very good.  No 2200 should ever go to a landfill!  My 2200 was modified for me by Stephen Sank at Talking Dog Transducer in Tucson; I have no commercial affiliation but he has worked on several tuners for me.  I live in a super-strong-signal area so I cannot speak to DX performance.

• Like 1

• Moderators
1 minute ago, hifigeezer said:

Hi, I am new to this forum.  I came across this thread while doing research on the Scott 310-E.  I listened last night to a stock but recently serviced 310-E and an Eico Classic Series 2200.  With appropriate modifications, the 2200 sounds very good.  No 2200 should ever go to a landfill!  My 2200 was modified for me by Stephen Sank at Talking Dog Transducer in Tucson; I have no commercial affiliation but he has worked on several tuners for me.  I live in a super-strong-signal area so I cannot speak to DX performance.

Welcome to the forum.

• 2 weeks later...