Newbie building new home theater (LONG)

capo72

Hi all. New guy here. I've been trolling for a while and finally register for the forum. I wanted to educate myself before I started asking stupid questions.

I've been a Klipsch fan since I was a kid in the late 70's and my uncle bought a set of Cornwall's, I believe. I'm still trying to sell them to me to this day! Anyway, My wife and built a new house last year and now i'm finishing the basement, so I have a clean slate for the home theater. I've been saving for years to build my dream system, or at least one i'll be very happy with. Over the years i've had a few home theater set ups with crappy equipment and comprimised speaker placement. This time i'm ready to do it right. I'll layout my plans and the equipment I plan to buy, and i'd like you all to tell me what you think, and provide constuctive criticism.

I have a room about 20' wide and 18' deep with 8' ceiling. At the front where the viewing area will be I have a pocket in the wall that is 12' wide and 3 1/2' deep I want to build a wall unit to make everything flush to the front wall. I will make pockets in the unit for the front speakers and sub, so they won't protrude past the front of the cabinet. I will determine the size of the speaker pockets with some help from here (hopefully). Behind my rear wall is a storage area, so I would like to flush mount my rear in the wall. Also I have installed a pvc tube in the floor joists, that runs between the storage area at the back, and the pocket in the front wall. This will aid in running of future wiring for the theater, and the whole house. The following is some of the equipment I plan to buy:

Front: (2) RF-7's

Center: (1) RC-7

Sub: (1) RSW-12

Surround

ceiling: (2) R-5800-W's

Surround

rear: (2) RB-75's

TV: I'm torn between 62" Mitsubishi DLP and 73" Mitsubishi CRT

Reciever: not sure yet, i'm leaning toward Yamaha 7.1 of some sort.

DVD: don't know yet, open to suggestions. Maybe a changer?

I'm open to any suggestions, recommendations, and constructive criticism. Please let me know what you think.

Thanx for your time, Jeremy

Looks like a good shopping list to me. Might I suggest the Yamaha RXV 2400 or it's current equivalent. Second from top of the line always seems a nice comfortable, not to expensive place to be. I notice that you don't have any RS series in there- good job! RB in the rear is the way to go for 7.1.

I might say to exersize caution in enclosing your speaker boxes. Note that the RC7 has ports in the rear so it must breathe. Almost all speakers will sound funky if you enclose them in another box. So my suggestion would be place them behind your 'facia' front-of-theatre wall if you must, but leave them open to the storage room behind. Resist the temptation to enclose them in plywood 'bookshelf' boxes- it WILL sound terrible.

Otherwise, maybe check the architectural forum for hints on soundproofing your room and adding acoustical treatments which are always a good idea.

Good luck and good listening.

Michael

----------------

On 4/19/2005 10:06:07 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

I might say to exersize caution in enclosing your speaker boxes. Note that the RC7 has ports in the rear so it must breathe. Almost all speakers will sound funky if you enclose them in another box. So my suggestion would be place them behind your 'facia' front-of-theatre wall if you must, but leave them open to the storage room behind. Resist the temptation to enclose them in plywood 'bookshelf' boxes- it WILL sound terrible.

This is the kind of info i'm looking for, thanx. I can easily leave them open to the room behind the wall unit. I just wasn't sure if ,id lose the porting effect by doing so. I guess the sub will make up for any bottom end loss on the fronts.

Thanx for the help,

Jeremy

These are some things you might want to consider:

1. RSW-12 is a nice subwoofer but for a dedicated HT room i'd go even bigger, either an RSW-15 (only if you can get it at a good price) or an SVS sub

2. Maybe separate amplifier and processor? You'll get better power, more flexibility, and greater overall performance. Also keep in mind that although Klipsch's are efficient speakers, they can suck up a lot of juice especially during big action scenes or similar music.

3. Overall, I am very happy with my rear-projection TV (which is probably similar to a DLP), but you might want to take a look at projectors. I personally did not like them before, but after seeing a recent setup with a high-quality screen and projector, I must admit it looked like a plasma TV. Especially since it had a nice trim and wasn't have a pull-down screen.

Welcome to the forum. It sounds like you are going to have a real nice Home Theater. Since you are going to do it right I would audition the Yamaha against the comparable Denon. There may not be a difference in the newer models, but I switched to Denon 2 years ago and I worked my way backwards.

I got the Denon 4802 R for my main viewing area 2 years ago and was completely impressed. I then started moving my various Yamaha's to different setups and kept feeling the need to replace them with Denons.YMMV. Denon also allows you to hook up 2 sets of side surround speakers in addition to your rears. I like this feature a lot--especially if you plan on listening to High-Rez music. I see that you are using in-ceiling surrounds so this may not be a benefit to you, unless you wish to hook up 2 sets of side surrounds.

I listen to a lot of DVD-A/SACD's and I own 2 Denon dvd players. The Denon DVD-2910 is a good player for both 5.1 music and DVI/HDMI video output. I also own a Yamaha DVD 5 disk changer which is great and I can tell no difference between picture quality through component (480p) compared to the higher priced Denon DVD-3910. If you are going to hook your dvd player through a DVI connection, It would be worth the money IMO.

Griffinater may be right about the Mitsubishi DLP. I have a samsung 46 inch DLP which has a great picture--But I much prefer watching movies on my 65 in. Mitsubishi RP Diamond. It is an older model and if it had a DVI connection (which I think the new 73 inch has) I wouldn't feel the need to upgrade--heck mine doesn't and I still don't feel the need to upgrade.

Good luck and enjoy after all of the hassles1.gif

Not to confuse you, but if you like the heritage sound of your uncle's cornwalls, why not go that route? Heresys or La Scalas are still in production or buy used Corns.

You can't go wrong with the upper class Yamahas (watch out for a new model above the 2500!), but try to listen with your preferred speakers. Alternatives may be NAD/Denon/Marantz.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 11:46:08 AM dr-dezibel wrote:

Not to confuse you, but if you like the heritage sound of your uncle's cornwalls, why not go that route? Heresys or La Scalas are still in production or buy used Corns.

The room appears adequate for Klipschorns as well!

warning: don't get too confused and sucked into the black hole of oblivion that is the Heritage lineup. I've done this, and love it, but you will spend lots of time and resources seeking the various components.

If HT is your main reason for this room, my personal recommendation is to continue on the present course. The speakers will all match perfectly, are full range, and you won't have to drive all over the country and spend 1-2 years to get the perfect combination.

I am building an all-Cornwall HT and know of another who is building a LS/Corn 7 channel system, so it can be done, it's just not easy (or pretty)

Michael

----------------

On 4/19/2005 2:57:12 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

warning: don't get too confused and sucked into the black hole of oblivion that is the Heritage lineup. I've done this, and love it, but you will spend lots of time and resources seeking the various components.

If HT is your main reason for this room, my personal recommendation is to continue on the present course. The speakers will all match perfectly, are full range, and you won't have to drive all over the country and spend 1-2 years to get the perfect combination.

Michael

----------------

Thanx for all the valid points. I love the Heritage speakers, and am hoping to someday aquire the Cornwalls from my uncle. I would also love to own La Scalas. If that happens it will be for the 2-channel set-up in my main living room. I think i'm pretty well sold on the Reference series, just looking for input on the combo listed above. The only ones that I already have are the R-5800-W for the ceiling surround. I'll probably get the RB-75's next, so I can get the rough mounting done before drywall. I'm currently in the pre-wiring stage. Just finished my electrical for the whole basement (bedroom, bathroom, bar, etc.) so now i'm moving on to prewiring for the HT. I'm a do-it-yourselfer, so it's nights and weekends. It will be an all summer project, at the least.

Please keep the input coming. Thanx for your time,

Jeremy

Here's my suggestion:

1. Forget the RSW-12. It would probably cost you about $1000. Instead, get the 15" Dayton Titanic III Kit from partsexpress. It has breathtaking performance, for under $700... Use the money for my other suggestions! Or... add another $400 and get 2!

2. You're building a real theater... use a projector. A decent DLP might run you no more than a flat panel TV, but will let you have a much larger screen, and more of a theater feeling. I don't know much about projectors, but there are countless sources on the web, plus I am sure there are others on this forum who'd chime in with suggestions.

3. I'd highly suggest separates instead of a receiver. The new Outlaw 990 Pre/Pro has just come out, and it boasts an incredible set of features, for around $1100. Coupled with their 7-channel 200 Watts/ch amp it would seriously kick.

----------------

On 4/19/2005 2:57:12 PM colterphoto1 wrote:

I am building an all-Cornwall HT and know of another who is building a LS/Corn 7 channel system, so it can be done, it's just not easy (or pretty)

Michael

----------------

Amen brother. Hay Michael I think I need a little more Barn in my sound system. I'm just not kickin it with the shed.

If your staying with reference... And the RF7-s too.. By all means for the kick it in your face... low rumblings...explosions wow factor that make a HT wonderful get the RSW 15. Don't look back, it is a WONDERFUL match with the 7's all day long!

You will feel it, even if it is not overly used, and smile the first great movie you get totally lost in... and bang, a explosion hits, and for a split second you jump.. Because it is soooo real!

I will second the dlp front projector, since you haven't made any purchases, yet. Your basement is ideal for this piece. It can throw a much larger highly detailed picture for the price. You won't be disappointed. Two subs would be AWESOME! For the long haul, a good outboard amplifier is a good investment, preferably 200 wpc or greater. Your processor is the piece that will likely be changed every so many years as new features/formats come out, so separates offer better flexibility. The DVD player, as said earlier, I would buy cheaper as the new HD DVD/BluRay formats are coming out soon.