Anyone been wanting something DIFFERENT to listen to?

kenratboy

Just bought this today:

http://www.amazon.com/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0002VEQ0C/qid=1113970504/sr=2-1/ref=pd_bbs_b_2_1/104-9420838-5178357

I am a big DJ Krush fan, but this is such a different CD.

Some of the tracks border on Natures Quest (ambient, relaxed sound) - and some of the tracks are (good) rap. All of the music is 'good' music as in it isn't just a sampler. Thru my headphones, I can say the recording quality is 'good' at WORST, some really good, clean bass. Most of the smaller artists like this live music, and that shows on the recording quality.

DJ Krush is a Japanese guy, and last time I checked, he does not even speak English! Hence this fact, you will hear some real Japanese influence (instruments - and the restraint many artists lack).

Cool stuff.

DISCLAIMER: you may hate, like, or love this album, so I am not 'universally' recommending it - just to people who are either looking for something different, or people who are into electronic music.

LOL, I got the 'someone replied to your post' e-mail and I just KNEW it was your answer.

I am blown away by how he takes a mix of songs (again, from rap to ambient) and puts them together. Code 4109 was my all time favorite Krush album, but this one (Jaku) gives it a run for the money.

I would say DJ Spooky is on the same page - 'Modern Mantra' is very similar in terms of the blends of beats and technical mastery of the craft.

I'm about to buy this album myself. The greatest thing about Krush is that his albums evolve with each new one, and that he has a mastery of the one's n' two's, but is able to brilliantly mix in his sensibilities of world music as well (like his Japanese heritage, like you already said in this album, Ken).

Anyone who is into the likes of DJ Shadow, Z-Trip, RJ-D2, Executioners, or anything in the "trip-hop" arena, do not miss out on "Jaku." This is Krush's best album to date!

PS - Ken, you're awesome for bringing this up!

I'm a HUGE Massive Attack fan 10.gif

I would say either Code 4109 or Jaku (the CD we am talking about).

They are both ***** / ***** albums, IMO. Code 4109 is a bit more 'Japanese' and diverse, but a little less focused. Jaku is a bit more polished, but not as diverse (closer to 'pop' than Code 4109). Both AWESOME. Get one or the other, you will probably follow up with the other one.

You will also like Modern Mantra by DJ Spooky.

It is difficult to find people who like this music. Thankfully some of my co-workers are into it.

I have been cramming for a calc. test and have listened to Jaku (had it for 24 hours!) about 8 times already 6.gif - not getting old.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 5:40:09 AM colterphoto1 wrote:

WOW, checked out the samples of Jaku on net, awesome stuff. It's a very eclectic blend of tunes and instruments but it works for me. I'm a big Brian Eno fan and also like well-executed (ie less swearing) hip hip, so I'm in!

Michael
----------------

Glad you like it. You nailed it - this music is all over the place, but Krush knows how to meld it into a work of art, just not a jam session off NPR. Same with DJ Spooky and the like (Brian Eno, too!)

I am going to get a bit 'deep' here, so stick with me:

What a lot of people do not understand about music like this is you need to look for and enjoy the 'little' stuff in the songs. In a lot of cases, the beat or main music sets the mood, but there are lots of little sounds and changed going on deep within the layers. For this reason, you just need to buy these CD's, press play, and see what happens. Unlike pop where 'what you hear is what you get' - this is much different. Much of this music has some deeper meaning than just 'music' - there are lots of emotions that can be dug up. Powerful stuff. I have written some essay's on this for english and sorta one psy. paper.

Most people will pass over this stuff because they don't get 'instant results' and get upset. The cool thing is I have listened to this CD over 10 times in the last few days and it is NOT getting old - I am always finding new stuff inside the songs.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 2:02:52 PM kenratboy wrote:

Most people will pass over this stuff because they don't get 'instant results' and get upset...

----------------

Yup, it's called popular or mainstream music. And it sucks. Death to all mainstream music and large record labels everywhere.

And unless you write your own music, you're not a musician. You're just a f__king tool.

----------------

On 4/21/2005 4:29:42 PM nicholtl wrote:

----------------

On 4/21/2005 2:02:52 PM kenratboy wrote:

Most people will pass over this stuff because they don't get 'instant results' and get upset...

----------------

Yup, it's called popular or mainstream music. And it sucks. Death to all mainstream music and large record labels everywhere.

And unless you write your own music, you're not a musician. You're just a f__king tool.

----------------

9.gif My thoughts exactly. However, I think this Krush album is Sony Music. Reguardless, the music is the issue.

I am on a crusade against krappy music at work. All this Hip-Hop and R&B stuff they play on the radio SUCKS!

Dittos on the popular music comments--

I love older R&B, too, but the R&B now has no life to it --it doesn't touch my imagination. Whenever I hear lyrics rhyming "fire" with "higher" and "desire", "love" with "above" and "one I dream of", or "you" with "true" and "you(!)", I turn the channel. Real artists find new ways to talk about love in songs, instead of cliche and dreck. Amazing that the biggest stars out there feel they have to use first grade language to sell their music. Lenny Kravitz' latest is an embarrassment.

In fact, most pop suffers from cliche--it takes alot of effort to find good stuff because it sure isn't on the radio!!

From a recommendation on this forum, I picked up Badly Drawn Boy's "Bewilderbeast",--- which sounds like it was made in the guys bedroom--- that is incredibly good music. His voice is a little rough in spots (so he's not on the radio), but the songs just resonate. A little techno, a little acoustic-- I never listen to a CD more than twice at a time, and I played this in the car for two weeks. I got used to the voice--

What's a good Eno to get -- "Apollo..."?

----------------

On 4/22/2005 8:47:35 AM theryugobuddy wrote:

In fact, most pop suffers from cliche--it takes alot of effort to find good stuff because it sure isn't on the radio!!

----------------

Ain't that the truth! 14.gif. At least XM Radio is a bit better in that regard, though.

Still I understand also about what 'Kenratboy' is getting at on the point about listening to the music at a deeper level.

It seems 'Nicholti' and I have found a commen interest in power/prog metal as well. That music can certainly get abstract as well, with a lot of deeper/complex elements along with lyrics that often contain deeper meanings beyond the literal meaning of the words. It seems many people don't appreciate that genre either.

I can and do sometimes like to listen to some techno/electronica, although I don't have much of that in my collection. I may have to start to explore more of that music as well.

----------------

On 4/22/2005 4:08:00 PM skonopa wrote:

...It seems many people don't appreciate that genre either.

----------------

Cause they're lemmings! Mindless sheep that follow the pop mainstream and haven't the guts or balls to appreciate REAL music!

Hey Steve, does XM have lots of good "non-mainstream" music stations? I've always considered getting it for my truck, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth it?

----------------

On 4/22/2005 4:20:23 PM nicholtl wrote:

Hey Steve, does XM have lots of good "non-mainstream" music stations? I've always considered getting it for my truck, but wasn't sure if the cost was worth it?

----------------

They do play quite a bit that is outside of what one would consider "mainstream". I've actually found some good music/artists that I've never heard of before. For example, I've never heard of Nocturnal Rites until I heard them on XM. Just tonight, coming home, I've heard a kick-@$$ track by Axel Rudi Pell (whom I've never heard of before as well). I'll definitly will check out more of his stuff. I would imagine it is the same with many of the other stations, although I do most of my listening on XM-41 (The Boneyard), which is the hard-rock/metal station. Would be nice to hear more stuff like Nightwish, Therion, Sonata Arctica, etc on there as well.

I would imagine it would be the same on many of the other stations. They do have stations that mainly cater to those that want to listen to the typical radio hits, such as Top Tracks (XM-46), Top 20 on 20 (XM-20), an so forth. At the same time, if you want to get really out of there, there are stations such as XMU (XM-43, which plays a lot of indie and underground stuff. Think of you college radio station on steriods. And this is just the stations collectively grouped under "Rock".

If you want hardcore Electronica - check out XM-82, (The System).

To me, it is well worth it. And the fact that there are no annoying commercials to boot (although some of those "station breaks", which advertises some of there own shows and the like, can get old, but they are short (usually under 1/2 minute) and relatively few and far between).

Also, it is nice on longer trips, to not have to go "channel surfing" when you get out of range of a radio station you where listening to.

You can go to XM Radio's website, and check out the various stations and what artists/bands they typically play.