Initial impressions of Synergy/Harman Kardon HT system:

kenratboy

Like many good things in life, it is growing on me the longer I have it (gets better with time)

My initial impressions (see sig for system) were a bit dissapointing for HT, as I did not have a center until yesterday (just arrived) and things were not setup well.

However, that has changed. The biggest thing I noticed was the dynamic range is DISTURBINGLY MASSIVE. Lets take the scene from The Incredibles where Bob is running through the jungle looking for the OmniDroid thing. I had the volume up fairly loud, but not a lot of sound was happening...until he finds the droid. Instantly, the room goes from a peaceful jungle (just hear birds, footsteps, etc. - pretty quiet) into a huge, loud arena. Wow, just WOW. This is how it was supposed to be seen, the director (Bird) wanted you to be lulled into a false sense of security and comfort, then BAM! The battle starts and it gets LOUD. When the droids claws open, it sounded like there was a physical force from the sound (like you where there).

The part where the jet gets shot down is also great. When Helen rips back on the after burner, the noise was AMAZING, it actually felt like a powerful mechanical action was happening, just not a 'hisss' It gave me goose bumps.

Music sounds just as good. Logic 7 on the receiver is the best music surround mode I have heard - the center and surrounds just 'vanish' and the sound stage grows along with the sweet spot. Very cool.

I am happy, very happy.

My new crossover should arrive soon and then it will be go time. Run the calibration setup (have not done that yet) and get placement tweeked a bit more.

Yes, I do mind 9.gif

Got it from J&R for $680 with free shipping and no sales tax ($680 to my door). J&R is an authorized dealer, so you are safe.

Price has gone up, but still a great value.

Thing is heavy and runs hot, but the more I use it, the more I like it. I had buyers remorce for a few days, but that has gone away.

Thanx for the info. I just checked J&R and it's $750 now. That's alot better than the $1300 srp on the HK website. It's also cheaper than the Yamaha i've been looking at, probably better too.

How is the zone 2 set-up on the AVR-635? I looked at the photo of the back panal on the HK site. It doesn't look real clear. It appears the output is shared with the surround speaker output. The zone 2 is something that's important to me. Thanx for your time,

Jeremy

If you have a 5.1 system, you can use the two rear back channels as 2nd zone amps. There are 7 channls on the receiver. If you have a 6.1 or 7.1 system, there is no internal amp available for the 2nd zone.

The A-Bus cable (cat5 cable) is what you can use as a link (don't know HOW)

It comes with a basic remote for the 2nd zone (also works as a small backup for the primary system)