Goin Down to the Delta

thebes

----------------

On 4/23/2005 1:31:08 PM nicholtl wrote:

I don't listen to the blues, but all the prose here is very poetic.

----------------

For blues the earlier the better imho the recordings aren't great but they got soul. I feel the same way about alot of early marley and prince buster recordings very rough but alot of heart.

Well the temperatures risin, and this old bus is starting to really fill up, pulling over right now to pick up another rider. Whoa man look at that mean looking monster of a man. Wait a minute-that's Robert Johnson-don't cross him fellas-he'll cut you bad and won't ven think twice about it. If we give him some space, though, maybe he'll pick out a tune or two.

Where's the next stop and whose climbing on board...

Amen. The FINEST blues are to be found on 78's. Every transfer I've ever heard had been so processed in a noble but futile attempt to make it "better." Soul all gone. I've a mess of 78 blues recordings, and I listen to them "au natural" and the groove noise, rythmic noise of the revolution, and all that goes with it simply adds to the sense of "being there" in both time and space.

These guys would have made different music if they had air conditioned studios and 32 channel boards with operators at their disposal. It might look like a duck, and quack like a duck, but it could never be a duck.

Dave

• 1 year later...

Hot! Fried an egg on my noggin today to see if it could be done.

Don't matter thoguh because evening is here and it's time to get back on the bus and head on down to the Delta.

Anybody with me?

Better bring some tunes.

http://www.tor.com/Gears/pp.html

Yep, not far from my poor roots.

Interestingly enough, Poverty Point, in terms of the archaic Indian culture may be the oldest city in North America. URL above if interested.

Back when David was passing along the mantle to Solomon, there were Indians doing business in a big way in Mississippi. ... going back as far as Father Abraham.

• Like 1

Stop at the RED HOUSE and see if Mr. Jimi is home, then head over to the CROSSROADS and find Eric Clapton playing, "Have You Ever Loved A Woman", right after Led Zeppelin plays, "Since I've Been Lovin' You", as Robert Johnson sits there and smiles......................

• Like 1

Yep, there's Peace in Mississippi at Jimi's house.... right after Crash Landing.

And Buddy Miles still singing bout dem changes.

Daddy are you into the Band of Gypsies, Jimi, Buddy, and Billy Cox, what potential those guys had, now you struck a nerve...........Buddy Miles had a great voice, Electric Flag he shared lead vocals, and a great Drummer to boot, although, I always liked Mitch Mitchell on drums with Jimi, Buddy just pounded those skins, and Billy Cox, an old Army buddy, was good, I would have liked to hear a different Bassist, a Jack Cassidy style bassist to round out the Trio..................To me,The Cry of Love was his best album, I know he was gone when it was released, but the songs spoke of Races living together as one, the way it should be, from Freedom to Belly Button Window great songs, some of his best. Get past the Guitar and listen to what the man is saying..............oooops, I'm sorry, I get carried away when it comes to Mr. Jimi..........Gotta go a listen to Cry of Love...............Can only imagine what that disc sounds like on Tubes and Khorns...............

Yep, there's Peace in Mississippi at Jimi's house.... right after Crash Landing.

And Buddy Miles still singing bout dem changes.

Daddy are you into the Band of Gypsies, Jimi, Buddy, and Billy Cox, what potential those guys had, now you struck a nerve...........Buddy Miles had a great voice, Electric Flag he shared lead vocals, and a great Drummer to boot, although, I always liked Mitch Mitchell on drums with Jimi, Buddy just pounded those skins, and Billy Cox, an old Army buddy, was good, I would have liked to hear a different Bassist, a Jack Cassidy style bassist to round out the Trio..................To me,The Cry of Love was his best album, I know he was gone when it was released, but the songs spoke of Races living together as one, the way it should be, from Freedom to Belly Button Window great songs, some of his best. Get past the Guitar and listen to what the man is saying..............oooops, I'm sorry, I get carried away when it comes to Mr. Jimi..........Gotta go a listen to Cry of Love...............Can only imagine what that disc sounds like on Tubes and Khorns...............

Yep. Loved Band of Gypsies. Thought about these guys when you started talking about places of interest in Mississippi. Great stuff and some rare talent working together for some fine music.

Things are starting to steam up a little, not suprising on another burning, hot humid midsummer day in the South.

The bus is starting to fill up, Ry Cooder just climbed on board with a

whole bunch of people, they're cranking out "Down in Mississippi" from

the movie "Crossroads". I do believe that Randy Newman is sitting

next to him and he's certainly got a feel for the Delta in summer.

Next stop is Covington. Whose going to climb on board and what are you bringing?

How about a trip to Muscle Shoals recording studio, out in the middle of a cotton field, not too many great Albums recorded there HUH?.....................Every one remembers Motown, as well you should, and Sun, but Muscle Shoals, and Stax, turned out a few hits, Going down to the Delta..............got any Gumbo?...............

• 7 years later...

Sadly along the way we did drop off OB at Muscle Shoals. On a night like tonight you can hear him clapping to the groove, happy as a clam, down in the Delta.

Still room on the bus. Cotton's ripe. Somewhere around here there's a tar shack, where a kid's stringing some piano wire between two nails on the sagging front porch of his tar paper shack. Gonna pluck some tunes with what he has.

So where do we head next.?