Industrial La Scala K-43 Woofer / alnico tweeter question

dylsda798

After recently buying a pair of industrial la scala speakers on ebay, I finally got them home. I hooked them up. I turn it up a little. One sounded different from the other. So...I opened them up, and to my suprise, I find that one is stock the other has been, shall we say - modified. Speaker A has the original K-43 woofer and alnico tweeter with the round back. This one sounds louder over all. It has more solid bass, but slightly less high end punch. Speaker B has a k-33 woofer and more modern square back tweeter. It seems to have less bass punch, but nicer high end response. My dilemma is what to fix. I think I should get another K-43, if I can find one, and the square back tweeter and put the woofer in speaker B and the tweeter in speaker A. Is my thinking correct, or am I way off base here? Thanks!!

By the way, does anybody know where I can GET a K-43 woofer. I have a k-33 and an alnico tweeter to trade...

Try 1-800-klipsch, ask for the parts department, they should be able to fix you up. If the lascala's are being used in the home, the K-33 goes a little bit lower. Going with the K-43 will increase the power handling, at the expense of a little bit of low end.

If you are using with a subwoofer, then it does not really matter which ones you use, just make sure you have the same woofers. As far as the tweeters go, the newer k77m will have a little better hf response than the alnico k-77.

----------------

On 4/25/2005 9:59:38 PM dylsda798 wrote:

Thanks. I'll get a k-33e and new tweeter. I don't need the extra power handling. I can't stand it above 10 or 12 watts anyway.

----------------

That's what I did. I am waiting for them to arrive. Are you considering new networks? Plenty of post going around that subject. For starters I ordered BEC's rebuilt, Later I can always think of others'.

Good luck, Tim.

I think Michael may have more experience with these woofers, but it is normally said by the Klipsch employees that the K-43 doesn't go as deep in the K-horn as a K-33 will. La Scalas have never been specifically addressed.

The tweeter differences are typical. try to pick up a ceramic magnet K-77-M or T-35A on eBay. Those will also have diaphragms rated at 5 watts continuous rather than 2 watts in the K-77/T-35.

If they were mine I'd put a K-43 in the one with the K-33 in it. Ive always heard the K-43 was warmer, implying higher efficiency.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=3276&item=5769433121&rd=1