The Complete Guide to HIgh-End Audio. Is it worth it?

erdric

I've been reading this board, and occationally posting, since the fall of 1999. In the past week I've seen more hostility here than in the previous two years combined. I don't know whether that means that everyone's been a bit stressed out since the 11th, or the board is coming into a new age as a result of its growth in members, or I've just gotten more sensitive to stuff, or something else entirely...

I just wanted to pipe up and say that, while I strongly disagree with some of Tom's opinions (mostly regarding whether powered, direct radiating, little bitty subwoofers and big, fully horn loaded speakers can coexist in the same system) I've sure found him to be a fascinating source of ideas, history (regarding both products and companies), knowledge and opinions.

Al, likewise, has been a source of very interesting technical observations and suggestions, and I installed a very early set of his crossovers in my La Scalas, and I continue to enjoy them very, very much.

I haven't seen much from TheEAR, but most of what I have seen sounds as if it were written by a reasonably intelligent, articulate, audio enthusiast. I have no idea what happened to you on this thread.

Colin, I disagree that Klipsch aren't "state of the art" speakers. It depends on which art you are talking about. If your taste in speakers runs towards the fully horn loaded style, then what IS the state of the art? $35,000 Avantgarde Trios? Carfrae Horns? Beauhorns? Lowther something or others? Edgarhorns? Home built enclosures with JBL drivers? I'd put the Klipschorn, in a room that supports them well, up against any of those.

By the way, Robert Harley was just made the guy in charge and general boss of The Absolute Sound. Harry Pearson was apparently "kicked upstairs" to pursue other opportunities.

Ray "Can't we all just get along" Garrison

------------------

Music is art

Audio is engineering

When I started this thread I hoped to generate some discussion about a book. I did not want to start a war of words.

Bob, please feel free to close this thread.

------------------

Primary System:

Main KG-4

Center KV-3

Rear RS-3

Yamaha HTR-5250

Sony DVP-S560D

Panasonic PV-9664

Sony DBS system

Studio:

Main KG-3

Sony STR-AV920

Pioneer PD-4351

"waste the rest of the money gambling and whoring in Vegas"

Dear TBrennan I will NOT go down to your level.

You think you are smart,yes you are as smart as a rock.

Smile.gif

Next time think before you post brain farts,I will not dig down to be at your level.

TheEAR(s) Now theears

You are all right and all wrong. It is all based on your assumptions. Some people are happy with Bose Lifestyle systems and rightfully so.

Personal attacks only validate the position of the attacked and make the attacker look like an imature fool.

TheEAR, by using the word stupid in describing another, you have proven yourself to be stupid. A good discussion of the relative merits of a bood have descended into idiocy. Thank you.

Ed

Looks like it's time to step in with a whistle.

Hey everybody, it's been a rough week huh????? We all have a reason to be tense, upset and sick at what has happened to us...but let's direct our energy and our anger at those who deserve it. In my year on this forum I haven't seen two ugly threads going at the same time like they are now. We do not like to, and rarely have, ended threads and I would rather not here. None of us want a new trend starting...

There are countries out there which discourage open rational debate and literally demand that everyone must have the same opinion. That's the type of thinking which produces the actions we saw last week. I would just like to think the hostility I am seeing here is our frustration with that aimed in the wrong direction. Heck gang, I've seen Bose customers treated with better respect in here.

Let's get back to our normal, eloguent, non-profanity laced debating about the things we love to debate about...speaker wire, Legend vs. Reference, why in the world we don't have our new subs out yet, etc....our escape. Audiophiles, Audio "Lovers", Tube people, Denon guys, Yamaha guys, everyone here...let's do our thing in the professional manner that separates the civilized form the uncivilized.

PhilH

quote:

Originally posted by PhilH:

Looks like it's time to step in with a whistle.

There are countries out there which discourage open rational debate and literally demand that everyone must have the same opinion. That's the type of thinking which produces the actions we saw last week. I would just like to think the hostility I am seeing here is our frustration with that aimed in the wrong direction. Heck gang, I've seen Bose customers treated with better respect in here.

PhilH

Wow Phil H....well said!

Dave