Chorus I port sizes

DrWho

Well I posted this in the updates and mods forum, but there's more people over on this forum...

I was just wondering if anyone might have the dimensions of the ports from the original chorus. I've got a pair of Chorus II's and I wanted to compare and contrast the difference between a passive and a port. I haven't decided yet if I'm going to dig into my current cabinets (they're in rather good shape and my wood working skills/tools are lacking), but building new cabinets would be such an ordeal as well. Anyways, I would greatly appreciate the specs if someone would be so kind as to measure for me.

I am also curious why the Chorus II is rated down to 39Hz versus the 45Hz of the Chorus. Does anyone happen to have those old response curves handy that klipsch posted in the past? Colterphoto gave me the specs on the Chorus II, but it would be interesting to compare with the original chorus considering they both use the same driver in the same size cabinet. Passive radiators drop faster than ports so it makes no sense to me why the ported version doesn't dig lower (unless it's tuned higher, in which case I may want to use longer ports...)

Would there happen to be T/S parameters floating around for the K-48-E?

thanks,

-Mike

Btw, my main intent here is to make the speaker more placement friendly. I've considered putting the passive on the front of the cabinet, but it would require an increase in volume...I suppose I could seal off the HF section. Anyways, the port approach would be much easier and apart from the specs, I think it should sound better. Does the HF section of the Chorus II take up less space than the Chorus?

hey thanks for the reply! 9.gif

Would you happen to know about how deep they are too? Accuracy to a 1/4" isn't that big of a deal, but thanks for the effort. I'll probably just end up using some 4" PVC and making the ports too long so that I can cut them smaller and dial in the tuning.

I've got the Chorus 'I' response curve (from one of those two page fliers).

Have no idea how to post it though--

It is also on the forum-in an old thread where someone posted copies of all those adverts.

I will e-mail it to you if you can give me your address--

Mark

----------------

On 4/30/2005 3:40:30 PM stormin wrote:

Someone really needs to save these chorus II's.

----------------

lol, everything I will do will be totally reversable. I just can't deal with the rear passive radiator. It's noisy with low frequencies at loud volumes (no EQ) and I think it would be easier to position the speaker with ports on the front. I'm surprised more people haven't commented on this and even considered porting their speakers...If nothing else, ports drop at 12dB/octave versus the 18dB/octave of the passive radiators, which means a less sudden drop-off.

I modelled a box the size of the chorus in WinISD with a port diameter of 4" and the length of the two ports tuned to 45Hz is 4" and at 39Hz it's 6" (the two lower cutoffs indicated by the specs). Are the Chorus I and II cabinets tuned differently? If so, what tuning should I go with? I suppose I could always try tuning it lower or trying to dial in the tuning to match the room gain...

Has anybody had any experience with the variable length ports offered over at partsexpress?

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-329

Or I'm thinking of going the easy route and installing two of these:

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=260-403

The largest inside caliper reading I get on my Chorus ports is 4.114 inches. The inside cabinet dimensions are 13 5/16 x 34 1/4.

The woofer cutouts start 8 13/16" up from the bottom (top surface of the bottom board), and the ports are located 2 1/8" up, and in from the sides.

I'm not a big PR fan either. Always thought the I's had tighter bass, and with a sig gen, mine go into the 30's before there's an appreciable roll-off.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 1:30:53 PM DrWho wrote:

----------------

On 4/30/2005 3:40:30 PM stormin wrote:

Someone really needs to save these chorus II's.

----------------

lol, everything I will do will be totally reversable. I just can't deal with the rear passive radiator. It's noisy with low frequencies at loud volumes (no EQ) and I think it would be easier to position the speaker with ports on the front.

----------------

I was j/k with ya Dr. They're your speaks so have fun.

I was wondering what you might be powering the chorus II's with? I've had about 10 different amplifiers hooked up to these in the past and only a couple of them were disappointments in the bass department. Personally i like an amp with a little muscle at a 4 ohm load to handle the bass driver. This being if you want to rock out.

I do agree these are placement sensitive with the passive. I've tried several placements over the years and find that a couple of good corners do wonders.

Good luck.

----------------

On 5/1/2005 2:47:03 PM codhead wrote:

I'm not a big PR fan either. Always thought the I's had tighter bass, and with a sig gen, mine go into the 30's before there's an appreciable roll-off.

----------------

I guess we just have to agree to disagree.

It's what makes it all so much fun.

Cornwalls won't fit in my room and I don't think I can afford them anyway. 15.gif Besides, the Chorus II's have got some memories attached with them too (including your crazy trip) so I'm not planning on selling them.

The way my speakers are positioned, I'm thinking I could get away putting the ports on the bottom of the speaker where it won't be visible at all. If I ever wanted to go back to the PR, then I just plug the holes and nobody would be able to tell the difference. Though when I move the speakers, I doubt they'll ever be used as bookshelves again and if I like the port, then I'm going to have to seal them up and put them on the front anyway. I don't like the idea of tearing into them either, but I'm ok with it if it sounds better (since that's what it's all about anyway).

----------------

If you need anymore measurements let me know. I have Chorus 1's about 10 feet away. But please consider building some new boxes I just can't imagine someone hacking into a nice set of Chorus II's

----------------

If it's not too much trouble, some confirmation would be nice. Are the ports 4" in diameter and 4" long? I think that's what I get from everybody and the modelling program, but everybody used different termonology so I just wanted to be sure.

For the record, I don't plan on digging into them until I've got my ported heresy mod finished so y'all got some time to persuade me into building new cabinets (which again will cost more money too and not look as good). Seems I need to be mischevious and make them look as ugly as possible 3.gif16.gif12.gif

I dunno. It seems to me you're trying to make your Chorus IIs into original Chorus or Cornwall IIs. Put me in the "If you want something else, then sell what you have and get what you want." I'd be very surprised if you couldn't get out of the Chorus IIs and into original Chorus and (at least) break even doing it.

I'd kinda like to keep them, but Rivendell61 and I have been emailing back and forth and he's looking to trade some Forte II's for a pair of Chorus I's. You might give him a PM and work something out.