discolored rubber of Forte woofers

I don't know what causes it but I have seen it on Klipsch and other speakers that have rubber surrounds. It is like a white powdery film from what I have seen. Just get some Mink oil and a 100% cotton soth cloth and gently wipe the surrounds down with a coat of Mink oil and it should take care of it and leave the surrounds nice and supple. Careful not to get it on the cone, it might stain it, use just your finger with the cloth.

Just a quick question to clarify. Is this a discoloration you have just recently seen with your woofers (and you owned the speakers prior without any woofer coloration) or have you recently purchased these Fortes (preowned) and noticed that the rubber is discolored (milky?)

The reason I ask is because I have seen the rubber surrounds of some Klipsch woofers look milky from the very onset. For example, the rubber portions of my cerametallic woofers in my RF-7s have always been milky-greyish and not jet black. That being said, those woofers have and continue to perform incredibly. When I spoke with Klipsch tech support on the issue last year, they indicated that certain batches of rubber compounds they have used over the years appeared more milky than others (vs. jet-black color, etc.) I was told that absent the woofers sitting in direct sunlight for many years, there should not be any milkening or deteriorated appearance of the rubber portion normally occurring. They also advised not to use mink oil or similar substances on the rubber portion of the woofers. Basically, they said - don't mess with them, and they should be fine. So, I have not touched mine, and they are fine.

Do not know if the above applies to your particular circumstance.

Carl.

----------------

On 5/4/2005 11:20:26 AM cjgeraci wrote:

Just a quick question to clarify. Is this a discoloration you have just recently seen with your woofers (and you owned the speakers prior without any woofer coloration) or have you recently purchased these Fortes (preowned) and noticed that the rubber is discolored (milky?)

The reason I ask is because I have seen the rubber surrounds of some Klipsch woofers look milky from the very onset. For example, the rubber portions of my cerametallic woofers in my RF-7s have always been milky-greyish and not jet black. That being said, those woofers have and continue to perform incredibly. When I spoke with Klipsch tech support on the issue last year, they indicated that certain batches of rubber compounds they have used over the years appeared more milky than others (vs. jet-black color, etc.) I was told that absent the woofers sitting in direct sunlight for many years, there should not be any milkening or deteriorated appearance of the rubber portion normally occurring. They also advised not to use mink oil or similar substances on the rubber portion of the woofers. Basically, they said - don't mess with them, and they should be fine. So, I have not touched mine, and they are fine.

Do not know if the above applies to your particular circumstance.

Carl.

----------------

To answer your question I just acguired the Fortes from auction on Ebay. I would not have given the discoloration of the rubber any thought,it was the seller that brought it to my attention. Thanks for the response, I had not done anything to them yet, I think I will leave well enough alone and just check them from time to time. Nick