Any advise for Walt Disney World trip?

akirk

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

----------------

On 5/3/2005 11:00:49 AM IndyKlipschFan wrote:

None of you have mentioned Universal also in Orlando home of the thrill rides.. If that is all your interested in go there.

----------------

Glad you brought it up! Over the years I've managed to visit all the parks (was actually there three days this x-mass) and Universal is my favourite. It has a nice balance and quantity of rides, visuals, and atmosphere...

I must mention that I have no kids and have gone just with girlfriends... so the perspective may be a little different.

Rob

PS: and for all those who last went in pre-Epcot days... wow, you really are old 9.gif

"PS: and for all those who last went in pre-Epcot days... wow, you really are old "

Minor bit of personal trivia.

Late in 1969, yours truly became a paperboy. Being motivated and having a good bit of luck and timing, I managed to be one of six carriers named "Paperboy of the Month" in 1971. Now many of you are probably saying, "So? What's that got to do with Disney World." Well...in addition to getting one's geeky, pimply-faced picture in the newspaper, we six carriers won an all expense paid trip to this brand new place in Florida that had just opened called Walt Disney World. At the ripe old age of 14 I took my first airplane trip. The six of us and two chaperons stayed at the Polynesian for 3 nights and we spent 2 days at Magic Kingdom. I remember it as if it were yesterday. An awesome trip. LOL...I even remember eating so much junk stuff like frozen bananas that I threw up! LOL...when we moved into our new home not long ago, the wife came across a box of old stuff about me and in it were photos of me from the trip. Her laughing her *** off at the pics was funny - at first. 7.gif

Tom

----------------

On 5/2/2005 5:43:44 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

and if you want more, there's Knoebels in Elysburg, PA (another "must see" old school park with super people running this place)......so many parks that offer more for what I go for than Disney.

----------------

(I know this is getting off topic, but....)

Ahhh Knoebels!! I how I love that place! At a minimum, I try to go there that first week of October for the Phall Phun Phest.

In fact, I dug this picture of the Pheonix up that I posted on here awhile back while at the 2003 PPP.

pheonixlift.jpg

And that one year I was at the Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indy, I spent the Sunday afterwards and made the 3 1/2 drive from Indy to go to Holiday World. A wonderful little place.

I am a big of an amusement park junkie myself. Hell, I live but 35 miles north of Kings Dominion - all of a 1/2 drive to get there! And of course, I got a season pass there! 10.gif

But I tend to agree. Given the choice, I'd go to Ceder Point over Disney World myself. However, I'll also admit that DW should be experienced at least once, though.

Yeah, the Phoenix proves that size isn't the issue, it's the quality of the layout that is the issue (sound familiar)?

Like Holiday World's RAVEN. Only 90 foot tall, but what a layout here! It's been the world's number 1 rated wood coaster for most of the past 10 years, and I find difficulty arguing1.gif Once your rear end becomes completely separated from the seat on drop five, you will become a believer. I had the privilege of riding this gem in pitch dark on graphite greased rails during several events, and those were the best riding days I have ever had.

Phoenix is a good one, too - and nothing beats Knoebels grub after several laps1.gif

And for charm factor, both of these parks offer that in spades........it just comes naturally for these folks. When it comes to customer service and people skills, these people not only are the standard in the amusement industry, they could teach those in many businesses a thing or two about how to take care of their patrons. These two places are much like Klipsch: Not known much by the General Public, but once discovered, one will ask themselves why they missed the secret for so long!

Congrats on the trip!

I too was surprised on other's negation of your choice!

In case you didn't know about these:

http://www.disboards.com/

http://www.mouseplanet.com/

http://mousesavers.com/

(there are countless others)

If you haven't yet, check out the sites. They're loaded with facts and tips.

If you can, stay onsite. The extra money (if you can/want to spend it) will give you easy access, early access, late access (though I wouldn't recommend it), walking access (Epcot is minutes walking from the Beach and Yacht clubs. You can request a room fridge and avoid parking efforts. If you stay at the Wilderness Lodge, request to be a Flag Family.

IMHO Yacht/Beach club has the best resort pool. Wilderness Lodge and Animal Kingdom Lodge have the best buffets. Epcots Alfredos is the best Italian restaurant. Port Orleans (French quarter, riverside) have/are recent renovations.

If you're not offsite, schedule your day where the onsite resorts aren't having their early access or late access. Even if you are onsite, avoiding the park with the onsite late nite is a good idea.

For adults and older kids:

Epcot: China-Theater in the Round --- the sequences with the Great Wall and Tiananmen Square are incredible. Check out the schedule for the Chinese acrobats and get a front line seat. If you like Chinese food, this is the best place to fill up for cheap (at the fast food counter... i didn't eat at the upper scale restaurant).

Epcot: Mission Space -- a lot of hype about getting sick, but my daughter (10) and I could do consecutive rides ---until about 4. some really like Test Track (but if you already own a sport scar or motorcycle, it's pretty tame)

Epcot: I forget the name of it now but there's an outside area where bands play --- maybe it's Canada... maybe it's Germany.

For smaller kids:

Magic Kingdom -- make sure to get a good spot for the parades. Long lines with other families (at times) but the kids get a kick out of everything. The best place to see the castle fireworks is not in front of the castle but to the left where you can see the fireworks behind the castle.

Epcot -- there's a Mask activity for the little ones... each country adds a little trinket and stamp to handheld masks that the kids can decorate. Ask the attendants to write your kid's name in their native language (although with the Chinese or Japanese script, I always wonder if they're NOT writing 'this child is really ugly' or something to that effect.

For the heat:

Blizzard beach and/or typhoon lagoon.... pack a lunch cause like everywhere in Disney, food's expensive.

Find and download the 'guides' that will give you tips and 'mouse sightings'. Research the web for Hidden Mickeys.

I've gone a couple of times... the most recent, over this last New Year's. The latest gimmick was a Mickey doll that would talk to you when it passed different areas of the park.

http://www.mouseplanet.com/wdwupdate/wdw030617avp.htm

Being a sucker for a dad... with the attitude of 'oh what the heck, we're on vacation', I bought the talking mickey for my daughter. It turned out to be a great thing. The little guy would spout all kinds of info about the rides and attractions -- kept my little one entertained! She told me recently that the toy 'woke up' and said something when a Disney commercial came on the TV. I don't think I believe her... but anything's possible.

http://www.cioinsight.com/article2/0,1397,1437263,00.asp

Maybe the coolest thing we saw this last time was DeVine at Animal Kingdom.

http://allearsnet.com/tp/ak/ak_art1.htm

She's an acrobatic jungle or forest character that comes out of the greenery. standing about 10 foot tall on stilts and camouflaged, she kind of 'still poses' and then moves... causing those unaware to jump! I'm sure the character is played by a number of people... but the one we saw was/is a babe.

enjoy!

eargo

• Moderators

----------------

On 5/5/2005 12:58:01 AM formica wrote:

PS: and for all those who last went in pre-Epcot days... wow, you really are old
9.gif

----------------

Hey, I resent that!!! 9.gif

I'm actually more of a fan of Kings Island (Cincy) since it's so close to us. When we used to go to Florida, we'd hit Busch Gardens because I was (and am) a big animal lover (and dad was a big beer drinker 1.gif ).

I'll make it back to Disney some day, I'm sure.

----------------

On 5/5/2005 5:11:36 PM skonopa wrote:

----------------

On 5/2/2005 5:43:44 PM Audible Nectar wrote:

and if you want more, there's Knoebels in Elysburg, PA (another "must see" old school park with super people running this place)......so many parks that offer more for what I go for than Disney.

----------------

(I know this is getting off topic, but....)

Ahhh Knoebels!! I how I love that place! At a minimum, I try to go there that first week of October for the Phall Phun Phest.

In fact, I dug this picture of the Pheonix up that I posted on here awhile back while at the 2003 PPP.

"<a
http://forums.klipsch.com/idealbb/files/pheonixlift.jpg">

And that one year I was at the Klipsch Pilgrimage in Indy, I spent the Sunday afterwards and made the 3 1/2 drive from Indy to go to Holiday World. A wonderful little place.

I am a big of an amusement park junkie myself. Hell, I live but 35 miles north of Kings Dominion - all of a 1/2 drive to get there! And of course, I got a season pass there!
10.gif

But I tend to agree. Given the choice, I'd go to Ceder Point over Disney World myself. However, I'll also admit that DW should be experienced at least once, though.

----------------

OK I must go OT as well. I grew up going to Knoebels. What a great park. Free admission great rides, great peole runnig the place, they have a new bigger wooden coaster than the Phoenix now but I cannot remember its name. This place is truly a great park. A couple years ago when my wife and I went back for my brothers wedding we took her there. Now if we are in PA and it is during their open season it is a must go trip. Hanging out there was a right of passage when I was in high school. I can still remember going to the dances in their RR rink. Yeah this brings back memories all right.

OK back on topic now DW and the other parks discussed are different animals. It would be like comparing the San Diego Zoo to Sea World. Actually I prefer the SD Wild Animal Park to both of them but the Zoo and Sea World are worth the visit, we get annual membership to the SD Zoological Society. When in the Orlando area I would prefer to go Busch Gardens but DW is a great place.

• 1 year later...

I ran across this thread looking for another post by Jim Tidwell regarding the Parasol Lady near the Hall Of Presidents and thought I'd resurrect it.

We are approaching full Mouse Mode, plane leaves early on Sat, 3/24. Wondering if anyone has anything new to add or if they know of any changes made to the park since 5/05. We'll be staying at Town Center Villas, timeshares about 1 mile from the front entrance. Have a fishing trip scheduled inside the park, three days passes bought for DW, and plan on taking a day to go to the ocean, our 7 year old daughter has never seen it. Renting a convertible for the week. I need to check on some of the links previously posted by others and see what info they have also.

Any more advice would be appreciated.

• Moderators

The last time we went, Epcot was only half way complete ! In about 6 or 8 months my grandson will be tall enough to ride anything, so that is when we will return.

When we was there last it rained and the whole place was like a giant wet T shirt contest, hard to forget ! [:|]

Wow, what a timely thread....

Just yesterday booked a trip for the family (wife, daughter 8, son 11) yesterday.  Thanks for all the feedback, even those who like other parks better (there's always next year's vacation!).

We will have 4 days at Epcot/Disney/MGM and four days at Universal/Seaworld.  Any recommendations for the latter appreciated as well.

Grew up in So. Cal. at the perfect age for the D'land evolution.  Went several times over the years and experienced the many changes it has gone through.  Somehow they manage to keep the magic that sets it apart and above other theme parks.  If you've got kids it is a must.  I haven't been in close to 10 years.  We started going mid-week to try and avoid the massive crowds and those lines.  Thought we had it made the last time.  Went on a stray Thurs in Nov.  Turned out to be "armed forces day" and the place was packed.  Sadly it has gotten a tad pricey.  But you can't really put a price on the looks your kids will deliver once there.

Renting a convertible for the week.

Well at least you are in the right season... summer is just too hot for convertibles down there. I haven't been down in 2 or 3 years already... But Animal Kingdom should be better now with "Everest" open (there are very few rides compared to the other parks)

When we was there last it rained and the whole place was like a giant wet T shirt contest, hard to forget ! [:|]

ohh... why doesn't that EVER happen to me??