Scored free Cornwalls!! (pics)

capo72

I mentioned in a post a while back about how much I loved the Cornwalls my uncle bought new in 1977. When I was a kid he would show them off to me every time I was over. Ever since then I knew when the time came for new speakers for me it would be Klipsch. I'm buying RF-7's, RC-7, RB-75's, and R-5800-W for my 7.1 system. But I have always lusted after those Cornwalls.

Well my aunt and uncle split up about a year ago and he left the Cornwalls behind (too big). My aunt finally wanted to get rid of them, and she knows how much I love them, so she gave them to me. She wouldn't even take any money for them. They are oiled walnut. They are in pretty decent shape. They have a couple dings and wear spots, but overall pretty good. I got some flaking on one edge when I was moving them, I think they really need oil. Any suggestions on what oil to use? Is it possible to darken them up a little with oil? I would like to get a closer match to my entertainment center. Also are these grills tweed? Thanx for any info. I'll attach a couple pics.

Jeremy

post-17815-1381926466199_thumb.jpg

My aunt also threw in this JVC 5.0 reciever. It was too complicated for her to work, so she wanted to get rid of it. She just wanted me to wire up some new components for her, in the simplest manner possible to operate. What a great weekend it was.

Jeremy

post-17815-1381926467077_thumb.jpg

I'll try to take a close-up pic of the grill material tonight. These are attached with velcro. Is that original?

Also the poles are not marked for polarity. I don't know if it somehow came off or what. I assumed the right one is + and left -. The serial #'s are barely visible, so maybe the back sides sat toward a window and faded at some point. I was thinking of making some new grills, just to preserve these babies. I have a 1 yr. old daughter, a 6 yr. old son, and a German Shepard to worry about. Just break out the nice grills when guests come over.

After rereading that last sentence I sound like a real geek. This is an incureable sickness isn't it?

Jeremy

Yes. The velcro and grills are original. Very nice looking corns. I third the BLO. Its what they used at the factory. Don't use too much as it can get a little sticky. Also, be careful with the used rags as they can self-ignite if thrown in a pile.

Congrats!!!