Scored free Cornwalls!! (pics)

capo72

Congratulations Jeremy,

The BLO will certainly help if the wood is dry and the sheen is flat. However it will not darken up the wood to match the other cabinetry. The other stuff is is oak and and has a reddish hue to it. While the walnut is more of a straight brown and has a more subtle grain pattern. I am skeptical you would ever get much of a match. They seem about the same "darkness" so maybe that is good enough.

If you did want to change the color or the darkness, the old finish would have to be stripped (chemically). If this is not done, you would get a very, very splotchy finish. There are a number of steps involved and you would never get a great match with the oak (veneer would be the solution). I think you get my drift ... there is potentially a great deal of work involved. However, the cabinets look fine as they are. The BLO will help hide some the discoloration of the chip and help give the wood some protection and shine (read the instructions carefully and work methodically). Incidentally, regarding possible coatings/waxes/polishes that others may recommend - make sure thay do not contain any silicones.

Enjoy, they are good looking cabinets and you got a deal that brings out the envy in the rest of us.

-Tom

Jeremy, you better be real nice to Auntie come this christmas, she might not accept money but she might accept a prepaid weekend get away at a local hotel, pool and spa treatment. those corns are real nice. congrats

O yea, send the uncle a case of cold ones.

I had a JVC really similar to that (had a rotary volume though). I used it with passive subs. It blew up, right when I was next to the sub, working on the computer (not related). Scared the bejeesus outta me. I wasn't even playing any music. Purely at random -BAM!! It went with a bang at least.

Better luck with yours..

I'm in a similar position, but with a car. My Great Uncle (father's Uncle) passed away, and my Great Aunt is looking to sell their cars, as she doesn't drive anymore. All owned since new, garage kept: 1959 Chevy Impala, 1987ish Buick (don't know model, front-wheel drive) probably a LeSabre or Park Avenue, and a 1976 Buick LeSabre. I'm going to be checking out the '76 LeSabre. She doesn't want much for it and it's been kept up well, so we'll see.

-Jon

----------------

On 5/3/2005 10:07:40 AM capo72 wrote:

What is this grill material? Also what should I use to oil them?

Jeremy

----------------

You'll want to put a coat (maybe two) of nurishing BLO (Boiled Linseed Oil), which you can obtain from any hardware store (Homedepot, Lowes, etc.) Mix in about 25% mineral spirits with it, stir, and apply directly to the veneer. Let sit approx. 12 to 15min. and and wipe off excess. Follow-up with 2nd. coat if needed (24hrs. later). DO NOT LET THE BLO DRY ON THE VENEER.