Bose 901 vs Klipschorn

Parrot

I hate to say this, but I bought a pair of series VI at a junk store for 29.00$. got off a plane stopped at the store placed them in the back seat. My wife made a quick stop and what i think they call a tulip stand tried to brain me. it was a small wound. The good news is that my young son now plays piano like a freak. They were his speakers when he could just sit up, and i would play classical music for him with books strewn on his floor. He taught himself and his fingers move so fast its uncanny. Something I always wanted to do but never had the time.... They are not my Altecs or Jubs but they gave my son and my family a gift!

9 minutes ago, JJkizak said:

I am curious about the crossover used for the "Butt Horn".

JJK

All I know (not knowing too much technical detail about crossovers) is it takes a large capacitor....

Maybe it's beneficial to use one of those battery charged versions?

Bought Bose 901's V2 new and enjoyed them for many years. Sound decent with 90 watt amplifier but really came to life with 200 watts. Mine were the sealed version which required a lot of watts. I was perfectly happy with them until I heard LaScala's and after purchasing them never seriously considered any other speaker since. Still have those 901's. They were sitting in my son's storage room outside. Still look decent and to my surprise the speakers are still good. After my 901's I understand they went to foam surround speakers which fall to pieces after a few years. Could not find the equalizer until a month or so ago but my son finally cleaned out the storage room and found it. Not in the best of shape and needs rebuilding. Future project just to stay busy. When introduced they were highly received by anyone hearing them. Big broad sound stage which was lacking way back then with the rage was acoustic suspension speakers which was not noted for a good soundstage. Price was much cheaper then K-horn or LaScala and much smaller. 

Horns just have big soundstage, low distortion, and that great dynamics which is what music is all about. 

Was a court order obtained to exhume this thread after 16 years?  The OP, Parrot, has been banned for almost as long.  Several of the posters have gone to their rewards.  

Ported Bose 901s with foam surrounds have gone through several repair kits by now.  The sealed 901s with cloth surrounds are probably still playing if fed 200 wars per channel.

I owned a set of sealed 901s and played them loudly with a Dynaco ST400 amp.  The 901s and the Dynaco are long gone.  A succession of Klipsch, including Khorns, La Scalas, and Heresys have more than filled the void.   Bose 901s have their place, so long as it’s not here.

Dad brought me shopping to look at a set of 901 after the dog piss rotted the grille of his Altec Valencia's and mom wanted them out of the living room. Not impressed with the sound walked out. Mom brought me out to get something less ugly and picked out the Belle's but since dad liked the sound of my Chorus II ended up getting those. If a pair of Belle's were on the floor or in stock the choice may have been different. 

Never understood the draw to Bose products.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I only heard Bose 901's once, at a friend's house. We did not do any critical listening, he had them going in the family room as we grilled outside, ate in the adjoining dining room, sat and conversed. As others have noted the sound bouncing around in multiple directions let us move around and basically ignore finding any sweet spot - the sound was sort of "everywhere."

But I heard Mr. Bose talk once. He was obsessed with reflected sound. He listened to live music in concert halls and his big demand for "realism" was the reproduction, actually the simulation, of sound reaching you from multiple paths. That is the way sound reaches us, but most stereophiles in that day wanted "flat", and good bass and good highs. Bose was willing to compromise a lot of other audiophile demands to get a mixture of reflected sound that met his unique vision of "realistic." Hearing sound from multiple paths was not on anyone else's radar except the disciples of Bose (I am not saying reflected sound should have been a big deal.) So Bose was off on his own journey. Marketing, and the mystique of Bose himself, brought a lot of people along. I am not criticizing, it was a journey that many seemed to enjoy. But the large number of fans of Bose seemed to infuriate the others, who had different goals for their systems.

I think it is foolish to call Bose a failure - it s like a runner criticizing a race walker for being slow, the race walker has his own rules and enjoys his own game.  

Today the proliferation of easy to afford measuring systems has created a subculture who seek "flat" the way Bose sought a mixture of reflected sound. They measure and buy and measure and adjust until their system, including the room, is "flat" and they also often obsess on phase and timing and off axis response - everything that can be measured. People who enjoy tube equipment or who simply listen without measuring and proclaim a product "good" infuriate the Flat Crowd as much as Bose seemed to infuriate conventional audiophiles in his day. 

The difference (it seems to me) is that the "flat" crowd only dominates their own space, and they are the angry ones. So they get angry talking with their friends. Judging by the internet content devoted to "flat" versus "just listen" the angry flat crowd seems to be the minority. I may be wrong.

On 12/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, DizRotus said:

Was a court order obtained to exhume this thread after 16 years?  The OP, Parrot, has been banned for almost as long.  Several of the posters have gone to their rewards.  

Ported Bose 901s with foam surrounds have gone through several repair kits by now.  The sealed 901s with cloth surrounds are probably still playing if fed 200 wars per channel.

I owned a set of sealed 901s and played them loudly with a Dynaco ST400 amp.  The 901s and the Dynaco are long gone.  A succession of Klipsch, including Khorns, La Scalas, and Heresys have more than filled the void.   Bose 901s have their place, so long as it’s not here.

I gotta know....why was Parrot banned? 

Had a friend back in the 70's that had a pair, seems like back then they sounded good to a 16 year old boy, I do remember them being very loud and that you could feel the music. But I'll stick with my Cornwalls & ST120. Wouldn't mind a set in my shop though.