Judging a speaker by its "specs"?

dalcorn

I think that the Forte has proven to be a speaker that one could buy on frequency response alone... it was the article in Stereo Review from 198(7?), with the very flat FR that did not drop off until under 32 Hz (and mine go lower and flatter, in my room) that sold me on them.

Of course I listened to them first; even made a four and a half hour round trip to audition them (fortunately, a local shop began carrying them shortly thereafter).

I do not think I have ever read a negative review of the Forte, and nobody has certainly left unimpressed after hearing them in my home. They are, to me, the best deal in used speakers that you can find today... I don't know of any new speaker under 2K that I like the sound of better.

Of course, it's just one guy's opinion...

• Moderators

This is a question from someone who has never heard any heritage. I now have yamaha rxv 740 sb3 sc1 ss1 diy sub shiva in 5cf box ava 250 amp, that said. I have been thinking of trying to find a pair of heresys, to try and if i like maby switching out all of the synergy. I like what i have for ht but would like something better for music and concert dvds. I don't want to get rid of what i have until i find something i like better, i would rather try heritage than ref. This was the first time i ever heard anything bad about the heresy and now not sure what to do, from what i have read the heresy was not to hard to find and didn't cost alot . Opinions from this forum are the best advice i can get so PLEASE give them THANKS.

----------------

On 5/10/2005 11:33:24 PM TBrennan wrote:

dtel---Try some Heresys. If you like them you're home free and if you don't they're easy to sell.

You can't lose.

----------------

There you go,there's some sound ADVISE,its not an opinion.We all know TB's opinion and as you see its very different from advise.You could get enough opinions to drive anyone crazy,sound advise is always worth considering.

I agree on the advise concerning Heresys. In the factory wiring, they are bright and will sound good only in a corner. Changing this is easy and will only cost the price of a couple of heavy resistors, some solder and some plumbers putty and an hour of your time. Amazing difference.

Dave1.gif

• Moderators

Thanks for the help it was what i was thinking , just wanted to hear it from a few others thanks. Now to find a pair they don't have to be in good shape . They can even need complete new boxes, i do a lot of woodworking ,that woulden't be a problem i just don't know about drivers and crosovers , see i can't even spell crosovers. thanks again