Bubinga La Scala's

cueman

----------------

On 5/12/2005 6:12:31 PM Olorin wrote:

Gorgeous work, cueman. Your earlier photos showed a purplish tint to the wood. Was that an artifact, or was the color changed in the finishing? That edgework is a beautiful finishing touch.

----------------

Thanks. The purplish color was lost in the finishing. I did some tests on some scrap first, snd it appeared the poly dried much clearer, leaving the color. But when I did the speakers, it just didn't turn out that way. They really are more shimmering in person, and I am very satisfied with the finish on these.

• Replies 87
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

That is truely impressive. I love the attention to detail. I am SO looking forward to when I can start working on mine!!! That front edge and grill cloth is such a wonderful touch!

It is an inspiring result to an ambitious project!

Congrats on a job well done!!!

1BB

Wow, thanks for the compliments !!!

The front edge is also bubinga. I bought a board at a local woodworking store. First, I planed it to the proper thickness (a little over actual wall thickness so I could sand it down flush to the cabinet) then I cut it into strips, routed the outer edge round and cut them to fit. I just happen to have a lot of woodworking tools that make stuff like this easy. This way it will definitely be more chip resistant and stronger. I think I added about 10 lbs to each cab with all the glue and wood.

They are absolutely gorgeous. I would be tempted (if I had LS) to paint the part you couldn't veneer with a flat or semi gloss black. It would just hide the back of the horn section.

But you are going to put grills over them anyway.

Marvel

----------------

On 5/15/2005 12:12:59 PM J.4knee wrote:

How much veneer do you figure you used per La Scala?

----------------

Well a ballpark figure is about 30 square feet per speaker. I figure I lost a good 20% due to waste and excess. If you wanted to buy veneer, I would plan on getting at least 80 square feet to be on the safe side.

Those are amazing. I've seen alot of pictures of some woodwork around here, but that is truely beautiful wood grain. It doesn't matter what they sound like. That's art! Don't be so humble. You did an outstanding job. Makes me want to sell my planer and saws.1.gif

----------------

On 5/12/2005 4:15:31 PM cueman wrote:

Thanks !! I am proud of them. But I am taking a break on speakers for a while. I have a lot of hours into these. A lot of hours !!

----------------

If those speakers sound as good as they look (which I'm sure they do), you will have even more hours sitting in front of them listening to your favorite tunes.

That's a great looking pair of La Scalas.