Before Klipsch

spaaaz

That is a very interesting photo essay. I am always intrigued by these high efficiency systems. Could you tell us more about about the design issues and theory. I suspect you were tempted to add a tweeter at some point.

My compliments on your work!

-Tom

Very interesting and I agree with the other poster- excellent photos. Almost as good as the woodworking talent. What kind of drivers were in those? Very intersting port exit with that corner triangle thingy!

got any specs? efficiency? what ever became of them?

Michael

They used lowther DX3 full range drivers,and are a back loaded horn. efficiency is right at 100db,that was the biggest project I have ever taken on and they turned out well,the plywood alone was 400 bucks as the plans called for baltic birch ply,very impressive plywood.they just didnt hit it off with me,just to forward in the mids.more info can be had at http://www.lowther-america.com/

Those are some fine looking cabinets! I built a pair for the big Fostex drivers out of 1" Baltic birch, and that's a whole lot of work. Moving them around is a whole lot of work as well.

My listening impressions were very similar - nice mids, but too much of a good thing. I picked up a couple of other commercial variations of back-loaded horns, but they just can't compete with the sound of a 3-way Klipsch - at least to me.

Hey there,

Veeeery interesting and great pics.

One question: In horn-loaded design, how much does that cabinet affect the sound of the entire speaker? I know that in cone based, the cabinet makes a world of a difference... same is true with horns?

I would think that the bass horn would be affected to some extent.

-Fauzi

For a lowther 200-300 hours is the minimum believe it or not.and for those that say speaker breakin is snake oil try listening to a pair of these out of the box then leave them play and go away for a week and then give them another listen

I had numerous Lowthers and a pair of Reps R-1. All of these did suffer from the same peak at 2 KHz and 10 KHz. While it can be sounding very alive on some recordings, it is quite annoying with most type of music.

I got a pair of AER mk1 and never looked to another full range driver. These AER are as good as you can expect.