Center Speaker Options with KLF 20s

Mr. Blorry

I have a pair of KLF 20s and am trying to decide which is the best center speaker value. I really want to get the KLF-C7, but it is a bit too rich for my blood. As those who have read my other post "I am so bummed" know, I am being kicked out of this condo I'm living in thanks to the bitter old craggy blue-hairs that live next to me that complain of the "annoying" bass created when I barely crack open my Klipsches. Well, they won the battle. but not the war. Anyway, my center right now is a bona-fide POS, and I want to upgrade. The RC-3 is more in my budget, but some say it's not a good match for the Legend series. My local Klipsch dealer will let me trade-up for the C7 (provided it's still available) within a year after my purchase. (I also get the impression from my dealer that Klipsch will continue to make the Legends on a made-to-order basis for quite some time after they're officially discontinued. Any thoughts on this from the Klipsch folks?)

Anyway, will the RC-3 be an adequate temporary solution till I get myself settled in new digs, and can afford the C7? Is there another option? Maybe (OK, don't kill me) a non-Klipsch product? biggrin.gif I want my speakers to be homogenous, but maybe someone else makes a complimentary product?

mr., getting a 2nd opinion eh smile.gif some reports are that the c-7 has already been discontinued by klipsch, but it's really hard

to tell. my guess would be when klipsch comes out w/ their new speaks in may the klf prices will go down, but just an educated guess. but the the c-7 is the only real match as it's designed specifically for the klf mains.

Hey, I'm tryin' to do this right! smile.gif Boa 12, thanks for yer advice on the previous post, but I thought I should create another topic for another kweshtun. While I have you here though, what is so different with the RC-3? Is it the metal woofers make it so much brighter than the KLF series? Will I really be pissed once I hear the difference? Should I suck it up and get the C7? Dude at the Klipsch store said he'd haveta order a matching C7, as he doesn't have one in mahogany. It sure would be sweet to have color and sound matching as well! Also he's quoting me $530 for the C7. Is that outrageous? There's another Klipsch store here in western NY, but I have to drive to Buffalo (yecch) It's about an hour away. They may not offer any better price. They do have us by the cojones when it comes to prices, 'cause they're the only dealer for miles.

mr., yea just joking/givin ya a hard time. in a nutshell, the rc-3 is not as efficient (loud) as the 7 & won't be loud enough for the klf. i think you'd be disappointed & taking the rc-3 right back saying "hey i can't hear this thing over my legend mains".

no ethical/knowledgeable dealer would let u buy the 3 to put w/ the klf. i think the price on the 7 will go down but then again it may not be around new for long. u could as doug suggests look for a used, or wait for clearance. u'll need surrounds some day too (?)

I, too, recently installed KLF-20's as my fronts and used the RC-3 for my center. Obviously there are a lot of purists that read this BB, but in my opinion, and that's all that counts to me, my system ROCKS! As a matter of fact I am going to install the RCR-5's as my rears this weekend. I can't wait!! Go for it!!

hey bb, say hi to the other 2 in the world w/ your set-up. biggrin.gif sure it rocks because they're klipsch. but do u listen to ht? with the movie dvd mixes out there it's hard enough to hear the dialogue, let alone w/ a relatively softer center. the thing is for a marginal c-note or so, why not get a center that klipsch designed to match.

------------------

go forth & hump the world

The RC 3 is not a tonal match to the Legends. In HT they say it is most important to match the front and less so for the rears. I have a C7 and it is awesome! These things are HUGE centers. You could have once got them from www.UncleStereo.com and www.JandR.com delivered for $400. Now Klipsch has some internet thing going on so I don't think you will be able to get one from an authorized dealer out of their area.

Spend an extra $100 or so and have the set.

Mr. Blorry,

Not having any luck with the dealer thing myself, I did the next best thing.Combed the net looking for reputable

source for the C7.I ordered mine from Sound

Ditributors in Las Vegas.I called them on

01/15/01.At that time he had mahogany.I waited about 3 weeks on black.His price:$395

plus $22 groung UPS to Alabama.Haven't had

time for other than a quick listen but I can

tell you that it puts out VOLUMES of sound.

Hurry!

Forrest,

I listen to 80% music and 20% HT. I too have a speaker upgrade policy from the store (Tweeters) that I bought mine from. If I catch too much more flak with the KLF-20's and RC-3 setup I may have to bite it and join the ranks of the purists. Peace Out!!

Hey Talkto! I just inquired at Sound Distributors about the availability of a mahogany C7! Thanks for the tip! I also placed a bid for one on ebay, but the reserve hasn't been met, and my ceiling was already reached. Now I'm just waitin' fer them there guys in Vegas to make me an offer I can't refuse. Anybody think that's a bad idea? I mean, Sound Distributors or buying on the web? I KNOW the C7 is a good idea! smile.gif

Getting a deal at Tweeter? THat is an achievement.

I went down there (Nashua) to get my Reference set. Picked their weekend sale, used the discount card they sent me in the mail, and an $n off coupon. Got a pretty decent discount, especially considering it was Tweeter, but it took nearly the whole day to close the deal.

Back when I lived in Denver, we had a nice store called "Listen Up," except that most people called it "List, and up." I've been using that name for Tweeter lately.

OK call me a puss, but I wimped out. I was this close to sending those shysters in Las Vegas my hard earned $$, when I saw a few C7s on ebay. Went ahead, and bidded on one of them. Found out, they didn't have one in mahogany, which would match my KLF20s, so I stopped bidding. Then , I got a wild hair, and actually went to my local Klipsch dealer (what a concept!) They didn't have any mahogany C7s either, but could order one. In the meantime, I bought an RC-3 (open box--kinda used and kinda damaged), but as soon as the big daddy C7 rolls in, I'll just pay the extra $$, trade up, and have exactly what I wanted, with a 5 year warranty to boot. These guys have been in Rochester for about eleventy nine million years, and I doubt they're goin' away anytime soon. Whew. It's over. I'll spend a little more, but I know I'll get service. I mean, hey. They even gave me 8' of 12 gauge speaker wire for FREE!!! They're so cool. I can already tell the RC-3 can't keep up with the 20s, so it's gonna make gettin' that C7 all the more sweet. The RC-3 isn't bad at all, but I'm glad I didn't settle for it. Put my hands around a C7 for the first time at the store, and you guys were right! It's BIG!!!! It'll be like having a Buick on top of your TV. Rock on with your bad selves.

Congrats Mr.Blorry,

I know you'll like the C7

when you get it.Talking about deals, what do you guys think about this: talked to fellow at HiFi Buys in Atlanta about some Klipsch Premiere KSP300's.He had 2 black satin,or so he thought.Asked him to lay hands on them before I drove 130 miles to listen to em.Oh yea,I already know we have them he said.Got there he did'nt have 2 black.He did have 4 mahogany floor jobs with a few scratches and

dings and one like black.Listened about 2 hrs. with personal reference CD's and decided

to deal.BTW,used Yamaha rec. to aud.-I have a

Sony.The 30's seemed to lack just a bit of the bright edge of the Legends.The bass,in open room, was aplenty.Final personal pref.setting about 1/3.Here's how it went down:1 Mahogany in box,3 floor models in Mahogany and 1 black satin floor model.Paid $248 each for 4 Mahoganys and they threw in the black for FREE.Authorized dealer/5 year warranty.What do y'all think?

KRAZYKEITH