HELP.....Anybody Very Familiar with LUXMAN

Gilbert

Looking to buy a used Luxman system for my work shop. It'll be driving 4 Indust. Heresys.

Problem is I'm not all the familiar with their model numbers. The only thing I do know about Luxman is that I use to drool over their systems at a cousins store, and they sounded pretty darn sweet......

Anyway what were their best (TUNERS, PREAMPS, AMPS, AND CD PLAYERS). Please throw some model numbers at me. The projected budget hovers around the $1K mark.

As you already know my suggestions are the T-120A tuner, G-120A equalizer, C-120A preamplifier, and M-120A power amplifier. You don't really need the G-120A but it adds a nice touch to the overall system.

I know this was some of their upper echelon gear in the early 80's and sounded phenomenal with a pair of HIP's, it would get deafenly loud!

For the Luxman CD player I would get the one that used tubes in the signal process, the L-105U I think?

I know that there are many very nice Luxman pieces out there though!

From the labratory refernce series, The 5M21 power amp, 5C50 preamp and 5L15 integrated amp are great.

The C-1000 and C-1010 preamps are excellent too, as well as the M-2000, M-4000, M-6000. They were designed by Tim De Paravicini of Esoteric Audio Research (E.A.R).

IMHO the 60's and 70's were the Luxman years, once they hit the 80's the quality of construction and sound went down fast...the tube amps and preamps (and some SS) from the late 60's on were great; i.e. MQ-60, MQ-36, MQ-70, MB-3045 or preamps like the CL-35, C-1000, c-1010, c-5000a

try not to pass 1979...regards, tony

btw a board member was selling a SWEET c-5000a not long ago...I cannot remember who it was but I WANT that pre!

----------------

On 5/24/2005 6:10:51 PM sunnysal wrote:

merci guy! a c-37 and...is that an MQ-80? nice stuff indeed! tony
----------------

Tony,

It's a CL-35 MK3 & a MQ-80. They sound so good.

Gilbert,

Luxman's receivers from the 70's are great too. The R-1040 is very sweet and cheap.

I always liked the Luxman equipment also. If it's any help (and I don't think you were looking for a receiver) try this link

http://www.robertsav.com/usedequip.html

It's medium size stereo store that has a number of used/consignment items. I have dealt with these folks before and they have always been fair and reasonable.

Good luck,

-Tom

Gee, I found another one. It's from a a classified in Connecticut. I have no idea why it so inexpensive, but it is a very recent listing.

-Tom

----------------------------

Luxman, am/fm tuner/amp, Model R3045, great condition, asking $70 OBO. (203) 856-9899 or (203) 374-9463 . Fairfield

I have a Luxman C300 preamp that has a great sound with my La Scalals and tube amp. Replaced it with a 2004 Luxman int amp that I'm using as a preamp only with even better results! Luxman in the past 10 years has tried to go back to the quality they had back in the 60s and 70s and if my Luxman L505f int amp is any indication they have done it. I would love to compare some of the clalssic Luxman preamps with my new Luxman. As a int amp it is a good unit but just using it as a preamp it is a very good preamp. Having trouble posting pics of both units but Luxman has always made their products sound incredible and look just as good.

Xman

Luxman didn't really have quality issues.

They were always making great audio equipment but in the last 15 years or so, the real good stuff hardly left Japan's shores. Maybe the blame should be pointed to the US distributor who chose to import basic equipment and that reason made people think that their quality suffered.

I agree with you on the supposed decline in Luxman products. In the Late 80s and early 90s I bought 2 Luxman recievers that were considered the lowest end of the Luxman reciever line and they both had a very good sound. If I remember right Luxman was bought by Alpine and it seemed like then that Luxman started to sell product lines in the US that were aimed more at a target market that wanted good quality sound at a mid priced componets. My Luxman receivers cost around $550 each and for the time that was not a cheap componet but it was not top quality either but they sounded very good with my Heresys. Now what was being sold back in Japan at the time I don't know but I bet Luxman had their top of the line stuff that was not being sold in the US. Now the C300 preamp and my L505f int amp are Luxman at their best. I got my L505f from audiocubes2.com which sells Japanese HIFI equipement shipped from Japan. I contacted Luxman and they have been looking for a US dealer for some time but I don't think they want to mess with the US Market. Luxman has a new preamp out that I would love to try. The CU-80, instead of a 2 channel preamp they made a 5.1 channel preamp to use with DVD players for Home Theater or DVD Audio and Superaudio Discs. The preamp does not do any decoding it leaves that to the DVD player. It is not cheap in Japan you could find it between $5000-6000 but on the website I bought my Luxman from it's closer to $6500. If anyone is curious about todays Luxman products go to www.audiocubes2.com.

Xman

.....Two Luxman M-117 power amps, 54lbs each, switched to BTL mono, about 350w per unit into 16ohm. Clean, warm tube type sound with headroom to slam the bottom. Very little SS horn hash.

.....MQ60, sweet little pp.. Pots for each channel..picked up last year...Craig did a little work on them....my first tube amp....

I think DeanG had M-117s for Maggies (sp?)

Regards,

Terry