simple La Scalas risers

jbsl

Here is a simple riser for La Scalas that made a big difference in the sound. The riser is just a 2 foot by 2 foot section made of 2 x 4s and whatever thickness of plywood and then slide it under the speaker. If you want the speaker higher add more sections of 2'x 2' plywood. That way you can adjust the hight to the best sound. Before the riser the tweeter was at my chin level and the mid horn was at my upper chest while sitting on my couch. Now with the riser the tweeter is just above my eye level and the mid horn is centered on my ear level. This really helped with some of the harshness people say La Scalas have since without the riser the tweeter is closest to your ears and the bass bin is at your leg level the sound field is lower. If you have a room that lets you put your chair back 15-20 feet you would probably not need this mod. But I'm 10 feet away so it helps alot!! I have 2 70 pound sand bags under the rug(need to find a better rug). Not sure of the height of the Cornwalls but this might work also if you sit close to them.

Xman

post-13699-13819266132764_thumb.jpg

My '73 Scalas CAME with risers. Since I have never heard anyone here talk about Scala risers, I can only assume that they are not original. They are constructed from 2 x 2's, with no plywood, and measure 21 3/4" x 22 1/2". I've never used them.

Chris

If you sit around 10 feet from the speakers try the riser. If you sit farther back it may not do any good. I'm have more plywood that would raise the speakers up to 3 inches higher so I may play with it and see what the difference in sound.

Xman

I'm not sure if KLipsch is making any risers for the La Scalas now. If any administrator is reading does Klipsch make risers for La Scalas? If not this is pretty easy to do. I'll post some more pics in a couple of hours.

Xman

Michael, I don't know for certain if these are factory risers or not. For any historians out there, these La Scalas are type K-447, with the woofer access door on TOP of the doghouse. I don't know if these "theater" versions came with risers from the factory or not. Mine did, but then I bought them used. The cabinet plywood is Fir, painted black. The risers are also painted Fir, 2 x 2's (1 1/2" x 1 1/2") with butt joints held together with nails as well as, for lack of a technical description, a "wiggly" blade of metal driven into both pieces of wood at the corners. Not a home job, I wouldn't think. The outer dimensions of the frame are 22 1/2" x 21 3/4".

For anyone considering a La Scala riser, you might do well to find the thread on the ported La Scala mods. By removing the "normal" bottom woofer access panel, and having this open INTO the riser, you create a larger back chamber volume. With porting, if I remember correctly, the bass response was strong to 37Hz or something crazy like that. Have fun.

Chris