KT-LCR vs KLF C7

John_Galt_2

I'm running 5.5's and looking to upgrade from my KV2 center speaker. I don't like how it matches the 5.5s. I know the KV3 is the other suggested one, but it uses the same tweeter as the 2, and that's part I don't like. I've browsed all of these posts and have narrowed it down to either of the above or the KSP C6. I've heard the KV4 does NOT match my 5.5's very well, so that's out.

Yes, the RC3 and the RC35 are the other options, but from what I've read here they're okay, but no great shakes.

Thoughts??

Right. A tractix horn would be a good match.

But getting back to my question, what do people think of the comparison between the LCR and the KLF c7? And maybe the KSP C6? In particular how well do they match up with a set of KG 5.5's?

A Tractrix horn is not necessarily a good match. The driver bolted to the back of the horn has more to do with it than the horn itself.

As was mentioned, the KG 2.5V is the recommended center. Anything else is a step away from optimal, the only question being "How big a step?" I've not heard the KLF-C7 or the KT-LCR, but based on the specs they ought to sound more like each other than like any KG speaker. I wouldn't even consider any KSP-C or RC speaker.

I say get the 2.5V and be done with it. It's as good as it gets. If the KV leaves you wanting, anything but a matching KG center will too.

I owned KG5.5's for years. Used a KV-2 because thats all the dealer had in 1994 when I bought the 5.5's. After about 10 or so years I bought a KLF-C7. I thought the KV-2 was lacking in balls whereas the C-7 seemed to overpower the 5.5's, too aggresive to me.

I have several KT-LCR's that I bought new from a dealer to use with a tube integrated. I also owned at the time 2 pair of KG2.5's that I had previously used with the tube integrated. I liked the 2.5's pretty well, but the tractrix in the LCR's is much better.

I own and use KSP-400's with a KSP-C6 center now.

All to say, having not tried all of the speakers that you mentioned with my KG5.5's, were I to take a shot in the dark I would try a KT-LCR with the 5.5's in preference to the others.

Drop by my house and I'll loan you one.

Keith

T2K, I'd love to stop over and give a listen, but it's a long way from Seattle to Dixie.

Now you've got me thinking though, maybe that's the post I should make, "Anyone in the Seattle metro area with a KLF C7 and/or a KT-Lcr that I can listen to, and possibly borrow to listen to in my system?"

Maybe I should just drive out that way, and bring one with me. Been meaning to visit m00n anyway. Let me go ask my the wife...

ok, I'm back (rubbing a$$) not going to be able to make it.2.gif

To give a little more info about my earlier remarks, I was looking for Cornwalls or Chorus to use with a tube integrated. Couldn't find any so I bought a pair of KG2.5's and used a Klipsch SW12II sub with them. I thought they sounded great. Ran across the LCR's working out of state so I bought 2 pair of them. Sold one to a guy with Forte's to use for center. He had used an Academy previously and later reported that for all practical purposes the LCR worked as well with the Forte's as the Academy.

Tried the LCR's on stands with my tube thingy. The hugely wide soundstage was apparent immediately. AB-ing the two, KG2.5 and LCR, the exponential tweeter on the 2.5's seemed to beam the highs whereas on the LCR's the highs seemed smoother and were more pleasant to listen to. As much as I like the KG2.5's and have recommended them here often, the LCR's are better sounding speakers.

Check the specks on this site and compare the tweeter/horn used in the LCR and in the KLF-C7.

As I said before, I think the LCR would woork well with the KG 5.5's. Just haven't tried them together. As far as buying a C-7 goes, I would personally perfer a KV-3. A compromise is is order whichever you choose.

Hope this has helped.

Keith

I posted them for sale here a while back John. I hate to ship anything account past experiences. I'm about to leave town for a couple of days. I'll get back to you. They're walnut oil, btw.

Keith