UPDATE 04-04-15, Single Driver Experiments

EDIT on 12/15/13

Due to the new forum's data restrictions regarding attachments, the photos were deleted from most of the posts.

This was originally posted in 2-Channel, but it seems like this is the better forum for this topic.

Last Fathers day, my sons gave me several pairs of Tang Band full range drivers from Parts Express. It was my intention to build a rear horn loaded enclosure with easily interchangeable motor boards so that I could quickly switch drivers for comparisons. In addition to the Tang Band drivers, Im also going to try some Pioneer 4 drivers that were thirty-nine cents each.

The whole purpose is to see what quality of sound can be extracted from minimalist speakers. Im not pretending to seriously rival Lowther, Fostex or Klipsch for high fidelity, but rather to satisfy some curiosity about the single driver approach.

I decided to build modified versions of some Fostex recommended enclosures. The enclosure plans are attached as a PDF in a subesquent frame.

Yesterday I finally got around to cutting the numerous pieces for the enclosures. Today Ill begin gluing. Photos of the work in progress will be posted.

Any thoughts or comments regarding the single driver concept in general and rear horn loading in specific are welcomed.

Edited by DizRotus

Unfortunately, these are not the most suitable drivers for a rear loaded horn enclosure. I investigated a similar project a while back and learned that for a back loaded horn enclosure you want to stick with a driver with a QTS of about .2 - .3 or so. The TB's are in the .5 area and the pioneer is .76. The Fostex that enclosure is intended for is .36.

I think you need to think line array.

The net is loaded with tang band and pioneer loaded line array speakers that are supposed to sound great. As it happens I have 64 of the "49 cent wonders" waiting for a project myself. 1.gif I made a little box for one and I have to say it is amazing how good they sound considering the shipping cost is allmost as much the driver itself.

This is the pioneer for those who don't know.

http://www.partsexpress.com/pe/showdetl.cfm?&DID=7&Partnumber=269-570

----------------

On <?xml:namespace prefix = st1 ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:smarttags" />
5/29/2005
7:57:45 AM
filmboydoug wrote: <?xml:namespace prefix = o ns = "urn:schemas-microsoft-com:office:office" />

Now I have another thought. Go ahead and build them. If you end up not being happy with the sound, you can grab the Fostex FE103's for $31.50 each from madisound.

----------------

Thanks for the comments. They're just what I'm looking for.

It's understood that these are not optimally suited, especially the 39 cent Pioneer, but theyre here and they were free.
As you point out, the Fostex can always be substituted at a later date.
If I eventually do spring for Fostex drivers, would you recommend the FE103E over the similarly priced alternatives?

Even with a Fostex, I dont intend to trade in my Cornwalls or Heresies,

Never heard the 103's but have read good things. And Fostex is pretty darn hard to beat for the money. The main thing is the cabinents were designed specifically for those drivers.

A buddy built a pair of rear horns with (I think) 8" drivers and they sound great. He had the plywood, I donated the veneer, and there are no crossovers so he ended up with a great pair of speakers for about $175! Not Klipsch mind you, but very nice for $175.

diz, remember the backload cabinet will not work well with the drivers you plan to use for reasons mentioned earlier...they will simply hold the drivers in the baffle, the backload aspect will not function well, if at all to reinforce the bass...the fostex 103E however would take better advantage of that cab...regards, tony

----------------

On 5/30/2005 8:55:41 AM sunnysal wrote:

diz, remember the backload cabinet will not work well with the drivers you plan to use for reasons mentioned earlier...they will simply hold the drivers in the baffle, the backload aspect will not function well, if at all to reinforce the bass...the fostex 103E however would take better advantage of that cab...regards, tony----------------

Tony,

That's precsely the point of the experiment; to determine if at all, and then how well. My expectation is that it will work to some degree, but my curiosity drives me to find out to what degree. I'll let you know the results.

----------------

On 5/30/2005 10:19:30 AM sunnysal wrote:

"...you could also try those drivers in a ported cabinet afterwards..."----------------

I plan to also make ported and sealed enclosures for gross comparisons. I also plan to ultimately use the recommended Fostex drivers. Again, this is merely a recreational experiment. These enclosures are not meant to replace my Cornwalls and Heresies.

I'll share photos and my impressions.

"are not meant to replace my Cornwalls and Heresies" I hear ya! my fostex F208sigma are sitting in a closet at this point BUT I will probably put them back into use some day, I gave up on all the big cabinets that hope to produce bass, I say be happy with nothing below 80hz and use them as computer speakers or super boom box speakers. regards, tony

The attached photo shows the progress today. The cabinet that's vertical has the internal baffles glued in place. The one on its side has a few glued in place; most are just sitting there.

These are going to be heavy and rather large. For the most part I expect to demonstrate that audio's points of diminishing returns, in terms of both cost and size, kick in rather quickly. The performances of the drivers, including the Fostex, in sealed or ported enclosures are not expected to be enough different from the rear horn enclosures to justify the complexity and mass of the enclosures. Similarly, the differences between the rear horn enclosures, at their best, and the Cornwalls is expected to be primarily below 80Hz.

You can't skirt the laws of physics. I'm not attempting to suggest that the size and expense of Cornwalls or Klipschorns are not justified. On the contrary, I expect to extract high quality musical reproduction from the various driver enclosure combinations, but to ultimately prove to my satisfaction that the size and expense of Cornwalls or Klipschorns are necessary to get the most from recordings.

In other words, Im just fooling around with speakers and stuff.

Edited by DizRotus