Heresy Wiring - Upgrade needed?

maprik

I've read that PK thought that "wire is wire" but in my experience I have heard differences in various cables. Can anyone comment either positive or negative on the effect of upgrading the wiring in Klipsch speakers? I'm surprised that after searching through all the heresy mod posts I haven't seen more than one or two comments on changing wiring. I have a bunch of extra Silver Sonic T-14 speaker wire laying around and I thought that I'd put them in my Heresy Is.

Thanks for any comments.

I believe that PWK "knew" that "wire is wire" rather than just believed it. Having said that, you probably won't mess anything up by changing it. Rebulding the crossovers, though, would likely give you hundreds of times the improvement possible by changing wires.

Bob Crites

Without aiming this at Bob, it is rather an argument for "the other side" (r.e., my side) of the issue...

PWK also "knew" that the T-35 was a slug above 15KHz, but that didn't stop him from selling them, and replacing them when they fried with the same thing. Realistically, what was he going to do if he changed his mind? Recall all of his previous product line and replace it? See the problem?

Better yet, do the newer Heritage line speakers ACTUALLY sound "better" with the Monster (I hate 'em) internal cabling, or was that just a scam to sell them from KlipschCO?

Without spiraling down into a dreaded "wire" argument, let me (please) get away with saying this: wires matter, just like caps in crossovers do.

I say play with wires and come to your own conclusion about it. Even very short internal lengths.

DM2.gif

----------------

On 6/1/2005 2:41:21 PM BEC wrote:

I believe that PWK "knew" that "wire is wire" rather than just believed it. Having said that, you probably won't mess anything up by changing it. Rebulding the crossovers, though, would likely give you hundreds of times the improvement possible by changing wires.

Bob Crites

----------------

Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I guess putting in the T-14 can't hurt so I may just go ahead and do it. I'm curious about what you mean by rebuilding the crossover though. I have the type E2 crossover and I have replaced the caps with the Audio Cap Theta caps from Audio Express. Is there anything else that I should replace?

Thanks!

----------------

On 6/1/2005 4:48:58 PM maprik wrote:

----------------

Bob Crites

----------------

Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I guess putting in the T-14 can't hurt so I may just go ahead and do it. I'm curious about what you mean by rebuilding the crossover though. I have the type E2 crossover and I have replaced the caps with the Thule caps from Audio Express. Is there anything else that I should replace?

Thanks!

----------------

----------------

On 6/1/2005 4:48:58 PM maprik wrote:

----------------

Bob Crites

----------------

Bob,

Thanks for the comments. I guess putting in the T-14 can't hurt so I may just go ahead and do it. I'm curious about what you mean by rebuilding the crossover though. I have the type E2 crossover and I have replaced the caps with the Thule caps from Audio Express. Is there anything else that I should replace?

Thanks!

----------------

What you have done is good. The original caps were almost certainly bad. I think about 20 years is all one should expect the original caps to last. I am not familiar with the caps you used, but just about any good polypropylene cap will do fine.

Bob Crites

So many electrical things improve simply by disassembly and reassembly because of the establishment of fresh connections. Try that first.

To actually determine if the new wires sound better you must first re-connect all the original wires (undo and redo their connections) and audition the Hereseys in that condition in order to eliminate the connection re-establishment itself as the sole source of improved sound if they then do sound better with the new wires to serve as a control in the experiment.

Wow - yikes! I'm not quite that anal. I'll just change out all the speaker wiring with Silver Sonic wire and just trust that there will be an improvement, noticeable or not. I just can't stand the thought of those skinny little wires in there! OH NO! It just occurred to me that maybe this is all for nought since I just realized all of the little wires in the crossover need to be changed as well! EGAD!

14.gif6.gif

----------------

On 6/1/2005 6:57:15 PM maprik wrote:

Wow - yikes! I'm not quite that anal. I'll just change out all the speaker wiring with Silver Sonic wire and just trust that there will be an improvement, noticeable or not. I just can't stand the thought of those skinny little wires in there! OH NO! It just occurred to me that maybe this is all for nought since I just realized all of the little wires in the crossover need to be changed as well! EGAD!

14.gif6.gif

----------------

Yes, and compared to the wire in the tweeter and squawker voice coils, those 16 AWG wires everywhere else look like car battery cables.

Bob

----------------

On 6/2/2005 2:48:17 PM pauln wrote:

Next thing you know, someone will claim they can taste differences between peanuts!

----------------

Well, if A is salted and B is unsalted and C is in the shell and D is already shelled and E are Boiled.

Then there is the point of Allergy.

----------------

On 6/2/2005 3:32:18 PM dodger wrote:

----------------

On 6/2/2005 2:48:17 PM pauln wrote:

Next thing you know, someone will claim they can taste differences between peanuts!

----------------

Well, if A is salted and B is unsalted and C is in the shell and D is already shelled and E are Boiled.

Then there is the point of Allergy.

----------------

You forgot honey roasted....

Well! This thread has degenerated totally. But why should that stop us? It hasn't ever stopped us before...

Might as well argue about peanuts! I LOVE 'em. Can't get enough. Until whatever container they came in is empty, I eat them.

Anyone who doesn't like peanuts is a COMMUNIST or something!

DM9.gif

I rewired both my Cornwalls and Heresy's using Silver Sonic T-14.

I also added Deflex Panels from Madisound.com.

Deeper and tighter bass.

While you have the back panel removed you might want to rotate it 180 degrees. The terminal or binding posts are now towards the bottom of the speaker. If you ever want to replace your speaker wire it will save you from having to buy a couple of extra feet that goes from the floor to the top of you speaker.

Danny

----------------

On 6/2/2005 8:10:55 PM jwcullison wrote:

Actually, allergic to peanuts. Dern things give me chest pain. Been to the ER twice.

Swear I'm not a Commy.

----------------

Understood, you liked them enough to attempt eating them twice! That PROVES you're not a commie! You're a PATRIOT!

DM2.gif