timbre matching

mdowns

I've got a question that is more components related than speaker...I think. Working with a Klipsch satellite system, I find myself with 1" titanium dome compression driver tweeters with integral 5" square 90°x60° Tractrix® Horns. Again staying with Klipsch, wouldn't a center, reguardless of which line, with 1" polymer diaphragm compression driver tweeter with a 90°x60° Tractrix® Horn sound essentially the same regardless of line? By that I mean Reference, Synergy, Heritage or even some of the discontinued items. If the components reasonably match, is it reasonable to expect the sound to match as well?

It's not comepletely necessary to have them matched to enjoy multi channel surround. It does make it better, but if you have to go a certain route to have a surround setup, because of finiacial situation or room space. It still can be very entertaining. Identical speakers would be the ultimate. But hey if you can't do it go for something and start enjoying life. No to answer your question, but you can come close.

I think that you would be ok as long as you go with horns (even mixed types, but horns) all the way around.

I have a mixed horn and cone setup that is distressing because the horns set a standard that the cones cannot meet regardless of the settings.

Not really noticable with movie soundtracks, but with a music DVD, it drives me nuts!

DM

I agree with Olorin. I think you are better off by going with the same product line as your mains. The most important is having the front three timbre-matched, followed by the surrounds.

A good example of this is the Klipsch KG5.5 and KLF-10. They look identical, but sound nothing alike (at least to me). Same with the Synergy and Reference lines. To me they are also night and day.

I've got a second setup that consists of RF-15, L & R, RCX-4, C, with a pair of RSX-5 bringing up the rear. J boxes with wiring sticking out dictated the RSX style for the rear. Coupled with a RSW-15, I can bang out most anything. Since most of the HT audio comes from the center, I was wondering if I couldn't do better than the RCX-4.

In an HT application the timbre mismatch will be livable however as D-Man pointed out multichannel music will show exactly where the mismatched speaker(s) is/are. I had a Ref/Heritage combo and for HT I could detect it but live with it, for music however it drove me nuts. My mismatched center and rears would always stand up and say here I am, I moved to an all Heritage rig using three La Scalas across the front and my side surrounds and rear center are Heresy IIs. This is a huge improvement but if I had the space I would replace the side surrounds with La Scalas or swap out my mains for Klipschorns and move the La Scala to the sides. What I really need are comparable crossover upgrades in my Heresy II that are similar the ALKs I use in my 3 La Scalas. I dont know if Deans DHA would work or not. Most crossover mods for Heresys I have seen are for the original Heresy not the II