DirecTv/TiVo question?

Smokem

No I don't think you do. I mean you need to have DirecTV service,

but not say HD service or TIVO service for you to watch

total choice programming. Now as you expect to use/get HD and TIVO

programming/use you need to subscribe to those additional services.

I would get the HD box and at least use it to decode the off-air HD

signal and get regular sat. signal.

gcoker, that is what I am planning on doing. I have DirecTv service but HD and TiVo are in the future. I wanted to use the HD with Tivo receiver to get over the air HD channels and use it to get my regular DirecTv service for now and be ready for the upgrade to HD and TiVo later.

I guess I am a bit confused... you do not need to subscribe to tivo to get direct tv service simply to watch!

But in order to use the DirectTV branded Tivo unit to record, you do have to subscribe to Tivo service.

I understood your question to ask if you needed to subscribe to Tivo in order to get the DirectTvTivo unit to work - thinking Tivo was the operative service you wanted! But no - you don't need Tivo to get DirectTV.

A little advice, pay the $5/month for TiVo service from DirecTV -- it is well, well, well worth it. Trust me on this one! You will watch SO much more HD when you're able to record it and watch it whenever you want. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got my HD-TiVo. Heck just having a TiVo DVR (even without the HD aspect) it really cool because you can use it to easily find things you are actually interested in, and you always have something on the hard drive that you want to see. And since you can quickly and easily skip commercials, you end up spending more time watch programming and less (almost zero) time waiting for commercials to finish.

----------------

On 6/9/2005 9:05:27 AM STL wrote:

A little advice, pay the $5/month for TiVo service from DirecTV -- it is well, well, well worth it. Trust me on this one! You will watch SO much more HD when you're able to record it and watch it whenever you want. I didn't realize this until AFTER I got my HD-TiVo. Heck just having a TiVo DVR (even without the HD aspect) it really cool because you can use it to easily find things you are actually interested in, and you always have something on the hard drive that you want to see. And since you can quickly and easily skip commercials, you end up spending more time watch programming and less (almost zero) time waiting for commercials to finish.

----------------

I have dish, and was going to upgrade my dish just to have a 5.1 output. So my two choices are a dish pvr (like tivo same thing pretty much 5 a month), or a Hd receiver. No 5 dollars a month still get the 5.1 output, and I could use it's standard def connection. I don't have a hd tv yet, and don't know if I will for awhile. So I am not sure what to get. I really wanted that dvr then I got to thinking i really would like hd tv. But wheeeew a new tv would take some money much more than the 5 a month. With dish you have to pay the 5 a month if you own a dvr receiver. Regardless if you use it or not. Maybe because it may work without a subscription. Not sure, but I asked them because i only wanted the dolby digital output for Starz. I don't know where I am going with this. I really have to make up my own mind. Any reason to go one way or the other?

• 4 weeks later...

Wheelman,

Suck it up and pay the extra 5 dollars a month for TiVo. It is not just a video recorder, it's a whole new way of life. Pausing a show when the phone rings or the bathroom calls - four clicks of a button and your fav shows are recorded automatically, even when they change days or run longer than normal. No loss of quality between recorded and live shows. Change to run that football play back when you miss it. The advantages just keep on coming....

Go ahead and buy a TiVo, but be sure you check online first. I bought my Direct TV TiVo from American Satelite because I could choose which model I had, Direct TV just ships one out to you with no idea what brand or model. If you purchase online, you can be sure to get optical digital outputs or coaxial digital outputs, even component video outputs if you so desire. 3.gif

In order to fully use the Tivo you need to be subscribed to the service through DirecTV. Like other said it is only $5 a month more and that $5 covers all of your DirecTivo units. You don't need to pay $5 for each DirecTivo unit you have. Turst me I have a SD DirecTivo and a HD DirecTivo and the $5 a month is well worth the expense.